• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage Key

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I found an old Telegraph Apparatus Co. (Ted McElroy) bug. There is no model number stamped, but it looks like, and is supposedly, a copy of the Vibroplex Original, just little more squared off.

It looks like the picture below that I found on the net:

http://www.chss.montclair.edu/~pererat/7740.gif

I'd like to find as much information as possible, and hours of research on the internet turned up just little more than that picture.

I need a dot contact spring and point, otherwise complete.

Also, any advice on restoration? I know the contacts are silver and will look for some chemical silver cleaner (I think Haley's hints said to use a water softener bath in an aluminum tray, I think with epsome salt as well). I have naval jelly for the corroded steel parts. The wrinkle paint still looks like it will clean up well as well as some of the chromed parts. I think the dampner had a rubber O-ring rather than being solid steel, but maybe that is a hack replacement piece stuck on there. Not sure as I can't see it very well from the picture I found. I'd like to make it look as original as possible.

Any info appreciated.

Here is a pic of the key.

I think the extra bar mounted on top is plumbing stuff, not sure what the intention was. Any ideas?

tac_key.jpg

If the 'extra' bar is mounted to the lever, it's for speed control. Extra weights were used to slow the dots down. If it's mounted rigidly to the base it's a 'handle'. If it pivots on the base it's a vibration damper.
Always the possibility that it's a parasitic 'bandersnatch'.
- 'Doc

old key

Go to yahoo groups and register under brass pounders and pose your question you have many experts on key collections there which will help you
good luck

doctor :shock:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.