• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage radio repair?

VaHam

Nov 29, 2015
Williamsburg, VA
www.wc4r.com
I'm looking for a shop that can tackle a circa 1979 radio; Tram D201A.

I restored it (caps, resistors, BA board, relay, etc.) and works okay but needs the details of a shop with good equipment and a tech that knows vacuum tube gear.

My usual guy (Mike) in Pennsylvania is un-obtainium, and Nomad doesn't take mail ins.

East coast preferred because of shipping.

I checked with Bob's. He doesn't mess with old vintage stuff.
I bought a lot of parts for a restored GE IV as well as the ram from Barkett. I'll try him next.
Hope Mike comes back on the scene. He was super.
Greg Barkett is the only one I know of that works on the older stuff. If by chance he doesn't then maybe he could point you in the right direction.

Reactions: VaHam
Greg told me he's done with the day-long restoration jobs on tube radios. Can't say I blame him. The older they get, the longer the average list of problems to straighten out before it's really a radio again.

Aggravating part is how long you need to run an old radio to observe all the remaining faults that can only be observed after fixing the predictable stuff. Can't tell if there's a 'scratch' in the receiver audio until the filter caps get changed and the loud hum is gone.

We use a "two-day" rule here. If a 45 year-old radio runs one whole day without hiccups, it gets turned on cold the next morning. Stopped being surprised when faults pop up while it's warming up the second day. Before we send it home, it has to run for two full days in a row without problems. And when that second-day "crackle" in the receiver audio gets pinned down and fixed, the two-day clock starts over.

The D201A on the bench today is on its fourth day of the two-day test. Crossed fingers, tomorrow it will finally pass.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.