• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VNA

C2

Aug 3, 2005
I was looking at this as a potential kit, the ten-tec VNA, and at the order price of $59 it was a bargain.

Now I see that is just for the bare PCB board, so I'd need the other components.

I don't have ARRL membership either, so cannot read the article in QEX.

Does anyone have info on these VNAs as far as performance and kit possibilities?

www.tapr.org/kits_vna.html

All of the various displays and plots are derived from these four measurements:
S21 Magnitude: gain or loss of two-port network from input to output.

S21 Phase: the transfer phase of two-port network from input to output.

S11 Magnitude: return loss of one-port or two-port network referenced to input of the network.

S11 Phase: the phase angle of return loss of one-port or two-port network referenced to input of network.

Specifications

Frequency Range: 1 MHz-100 MHz at full specification. Operational with degraded performance up to 120 MHz and down to 200 kHz.

Resolution:
.1 dB for amplitude measurements
1 degree for phase measurements

Dynamic Range:
in forward mode, 80 dB at lower frequencies
75 dB mid-range and higher frequencies
In reverse mode, -35 dB at lower frequencies
-25 dB at mid-range and higher frequencies

Output Power: nominal +3 dBm (approx. 2 mw) at TRANSMIT connector

Maximum Input Level: +10 dBm (2 V P-P) into TRANSMIT or RECEIVE connector.

Requirements for host PC: Windows 98SE, 2000 or XP. Also requires Windows installer program and .NET 1.1 framework (provided on CD) run time package.

Included with Model 6000 VNA: printed instructions to assist with installation. The latest version of PC software and detailed operating manual are provided on CD. Set of testing and calibration accessories: 1meter & 3meter cables, 10dB & 30dB attenuators, 50ohm load, shorted connector and barrel connector. 100-240 VAC, 50/60 Hz power supply with removable cord.

Unless you're a SMT wizard, building it looks like a bad bet to me.

Bought one built by Ten-Tec, still setting up fixtures and learning how to use it without blowing it up. Got a 20-year backlog of stuff to put on it. IF filters, plate chokes, crystals, IF transformers, preamps, the list goes on. Thought about using it as an antenna analyzer, but then I'd have to buy a laptop to use it outdoors. Not yet, anyway.

Not sure about NP2K. But this one looks like a better deal, but I already spent the money on the Tapr/TenTec.

www.miniradiosolutions.com/

The first computer I set it up on developed RAM flakes, and I haven't installed the SW on another box, yet.

Not ehough "round tuits" on hand this summer.

well guys i ordered the 180mhz minivna, i guess the fancy graphs got me,
if its no good i can only blame and maybe nomad :twisted:,
i know there are more accurate diy kits around but i dont want to be building something like that myself without the propper soldering gear,
theres a 4-5 week wait on delivery on the built and tested units but at about half the cost of a mfj269 over here i can wait ;)

You should have looked at the N2PK. I woulda helped you on some of the hard to find parts. I think they can be better performers.

they are better c2 and i have a buddy with a hotair rework bench i just dont want the hassle of finding parts and having to put something that intricate together right now, thanks for the offer of help :D ,
if i get a hang of the minivna and like it i will upgrade to something better in the future.

Well, if you ever get that wild hair...I have the impossible to get oscillator, a few of the transformers, the A/D converters and the synth, chip, and some other misc. components. IIRC, all I'd need are the basic caps and resistors and the PCB...the PCB hung me up there as I did not want to buy three from EZPCB, or wherever it was. Then I got a commercial reflectometer adn that was good enough so just scrapped the whole idea, but it would still be a neat project. I should go back and look on the yahoo group to see if anyone has a PCB...I might build it yet!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.