• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VOX features on 11 meter

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
With the state of PA considering laws to ban 11 meter radio microphone communication in vehicles it makes me think about the VOX feature on some of my radios. Never considered it before so never researched it so need to learn about it. I'm open to ideas and opinions from operators who have ventured down that road. What kind of extra equipment and expense is involved in getting set up to get involved in this phase of radio, and is it worth the effort or is it just another gimmick to grab money out of your wallet ? Have at it ! LOL

With the state of PA considering laws to ban 11 meter radio microphone communication in vehicles it makes me think about the VOX feature on some of my radios. Never considered it before so never researched it so need to learn about it. I'm open to ideas and opinions from operators who have ventured down that road. What kind of extra equipment and expense is involved in getting set up to get involved in this phase of radio, and is it worth the effort or is it just another gimmick to grab money out of your wallet ? Have at it ! LOL
Boy, they would have thrown me under the jail for eating that Jumbo Fish Sandwich from Captain D's yesterday. LoL

The new President George had VOX. Maybe some of the other President radio's too.

I have a Lincoln 2 that has VOX and used a Samson wireless airline mic and it worked. VOX will work on stock mic but a corded mic defeats the purpose.

4b50716380zyHqfFmAPf2SmsUkcfiKFeqANFzlUT.jpg

If your rig already has VOX designed into it there isn't much to getting it set up really. Set the VOX gain and anti-trip. You probably will need to experiment a little to get that adjusted right. When mobile probably the biggest thing is having the mic close to your mouth without holding it there. Maybe use a one ear headset with a mic to be hands free. You may have local laws against using headphones as well so I would check into that.here is Washington we have had laws against using headphones while driving for a great many years. Maybe that only applies to full headphones, not sure.

VOX is mostly used in ham radio. It is useful in casual round table nets. Much less, if any, doubling with others. It may pick up some background noise or family activity if set too sensitive.

It an be a problem if you leave the radio on and VOX is enabled when you are not at the radio. A lot of what is going on in the room may get transmitted over the air.
One of the funniest things I ever heard was a round table on 75 meters late at night. One of the guys fell asleep and his snoring was constantly tripping the VOX and going out over the air. Everyone was cracking up about it, it was hilarious!!

I wouldn't get too excited about the legislation. It may get changed a few times before finally submitted. We have had these scares before about this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Not sure if there's CB type equipment that has VOX, but it is pretty much standard on ham gear. Even my entry level TS-140S has it.
I'm not sure but have to check, I think my McKinley might have VOX and I think my Lincoln II+ has it also. And I already checked the Anytone 5555N2 has VOX and I have small mics around here I could clip onto the Visor. But I am going to voice my opinion to my State Representative because the State is getting too controlling and should worry more about bringing down the cost of living instead of Picking Our Pockets for more money.

The soon to be released AT-6666PRO and updated AT-5555Nii will have a built-in VOX mode that works in all modes. It can be used with the standard microphone, or a headset if you wire one up. The level (gain) and delay settings are there to adjust as you need.

As a rule, VOX can be OK, but YMMV! It depends on your environment.

FYI, VOX on these new radios can also be used to do basic VOX controlled digital HAM modes (FT8 / SSTV / RTTY, etc) with just a simple homebrew cable plugged into the mic socket (Audio IN and OUT is available on the mic sockets).

Last edited:
I could see how a radio could cause distracted driving if you are the type to always be changing channels looking for busy channels ( That's a NoNo ) But on a road trip if your just looking for alerts that's a good thing. I work at behaving myself and keeping my eyes on the road because around here you never know when animals will jump out in front of you or a Idiot will do something Stupid. And believe me there seems to be No Shortage !

Wire up a lapel mike and clip it to the sun visor or headliner. Use a foot switch as the PTT. That's what a LOT of undercover surveillance vehicles do. It is hands free and does not have the problems of trying to use VOX in a noisy mobile environment.
Now that is a interesting twist on the situation that is worth considering. I had thoughts of wondering how VOX would work if you wanted to listen to the car stereo while listening for alerts. Interesting for sure, Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.