• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX2R

zumlin

Dec 25, 2006
Looking into one of these due to the cost, size and the RX frequency range.

Any other HT that compares or any coming I should wait for?

I have read if it is used on the power adapter on high, for long keys it will cook, and a couple of software bugs that can be worked around.

Looking to use it in a mobile with an external all band antenna (RX) only, and swaying torward this model due to the wide receive coverage.

I understand that this is a radio that requires a license to operate.

Most Yaesu hand helds got really warm if you are long winded or you use it on 5 watts. I use the VX-5r, nice little radio. I bought a HT saver and use it in my car with great success. Enjoy

zumlin,
Just two things I'll comment on.
Yes, it requires a license if you transmit.
It will also require a tuned antenna, that external all band antenna probably isn't what you'll need for transmitting. For just listening it should work okay.

This part is just opinion, take it for whatever you feel like.
Handy-talkies are great for carrying around in/on your pocket/belt. Lets you sort of keep up with things. They are not the greatest thing in the world for 'hitting' repeaters or stations very far from you. That part usually requires an external antenna and power source if you plan to do more than just listen. The smaller the thingy is the 'less' antenna and battery it usually has. They certainly are handy to have around at times, other times they're just a P.I.T.A. to try to use. But if it suits your purpose, fine!
- 'Doc

zumlin said:
Looking into one of these due to the cost, size and the RX frequency range.

Any other HT that compares or any coming I should wait for?

I have read if it is used on the power adapter on high, for long keys it will cook, and a couple of software bugs that can be worked around.

Looking to use it in a mobile with an external all band antenna (RX) only, and swaying torward this model due to the wide receive coverage.

I understand that this is a radio that requires a license to operate.
Yes it requires a license ? What freq are you thinking of using it on ?

I have one of those....it's a great little unit for what it is. The stock antenna is kind've worthless unless you're talking to someone VERY close by. Keep in mind that it's only a 2 watt radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.