• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Walcott CB shop Davenport Iowa

and again i ask what is the sinad for this magic 0.0399uV signal? ..
that will tell the truth about all of this rather than you throwing a figure with no substance out there as it stands your claim has no substance.
i know a heap of eme guys that would love to see this magic mod ..yes that is sarcasm
No Idea. My mobile Hears better than most base stations in my area. Ask the tech.

and again i ask what is the sinad for this magic 0.0399uV signal? ..
that will tell the truth about all of this rather than you throwing a figure with no substance out there as it stands your claim has no substance.
i know a heap of eme guys that would love to see this magic mod ..yes that is sarcasm
There is a guy in California named Ron Damron who is also capable of producing a similar noise floor who might be more forthcoming with the information you are asking for. I can send you his contact info if you like.

I understand enough to piss technicians off.
Signal gets weaker as it travels further.
Common sense dictates lower noise floor means ability to put more distance between stations and to hear weaker signals

I COMPLETELY understand the inverse-square law of RF field strength. Believe me I do. I used to have to do government mandated proof-of-performance tests on my AM broadcast arrays which basically plotted field strength at various distances from the tower and was done in a full circle. Yup completely understand it. I also understand noise floor and that certain devices have a better noise figure making them able to detect a weaker signal that another device. I also understand that the common preamp used on CB most often actually has a higher noise floor than the radio it is connected too resulting in actually poorer weak signal performance even if it does make the meter jump higher.I also understand that the cheap devices used in CB are simply NOT capable of achieving that low of a noise figure to allow a signal that weak to be detected. Yeti is correct about the EME guys that would love to achieve that mythical 0.0399uV noise floor and they use a lot better low noise receiving gear than you have. That 0.03499uV signals translates to about -136dBm which is about the signal of a GPS satellite which is usually actually below the noise floor. The fact that GPS receivers use VERY good RF preamps in the front end and yet often have trouble locking on to the signal tells me that that similar signal strength on a CB radio using typical frontend amps will be buried in the receivers noise floor. That supposed 0.03499 that you are talking about sounds to be off by a factor of 10. If it was 0.3499 then I would completely believe it.

I have looked through various forums and am hard pressed to find any negative comments on Bob's.

You already have my feedback on Bob's, from this forum and elsewhere. Despite the alleged "fact" that Bob's radios cannot communicate beyond a few miles, I somehow am lucky enough to manage to routinely hold mobile to base conversations from 40-50 air miles away with either of the dual final Galaxy exports I have from Bob's with no external power and using mag-mounted Sirio P5000's (one of which is deck lid mounted, far from the ideal location). And before someone inquires about the base antenna, yes it's a 4 element quad which quite obviously is a great help, but the same conversations can be held using an Imax 2000, albeit at greatly reduced efficiency.

Guess I'm just lucky, because being a typical Bob's customer, I'm apparently a slack-jawed, anal-retentive, knuckle-dragging mouth breather who is too stupid to understand all them fancy meters and "silly-scope" thingies. Fo-tin? (beep)

Whatever.

You already have my feedback on Bob's, from this forum and elsewhere. Despite the alleged "fact" that Bob's radios cannot communicate beyond a few miles, I somehow am lucky enough to manage to routinely hold mobile to base conversations from 40-50 air miles away with either of the dual final Galaxy exports I have from Bob's with no external power and using mag-mounted Sirio P5000's (one of which is deck lid mounted, far from the ideal location). And before someone inquires about the base antenna, yes it's a 4 element quad which quite obviously is a great help, but the same conversations can be held using an Imax 2000, albeit at greatly reduced efficiency.

Guess I'm just lucky, because being a typical Bob's customer, I'm apparently a slack-jawed, anal-retentive, knuckle-dragging mouth breather who is too stupid to understand all them fancy meters and "silly-scope" thingies. Fo-tin? (beep)

Whatever.
In all fairness to Bob, I just spoke to one of his customers up to a distance of 30 miles, and the guy sounded great on his Stryker 497.
The reason the guy sounded great was because Bob did the quickie conversion without tampering with the amc circuit like he usually does. The guy said it was the first time someone heard him from so far away.
He will be wondering for the next few months why not many others will be able to hear him from the same distance.

I COMPLETELY understand the inverse-square law of RF field strength. Believe me I do. I used to have to do government mandated proof-of-performance tests on my AM broadcast arrays which basically plotted field strength at various distances from the tower and was done in a full circle. Yup completely understand it. I also understand noise floor and that certain devices have a better noise figure making them able to detect a weaker signal that another device. I also understand that the common preamp used on CB most often actually has a higher noise floor than the radio it is connected too resulting in actually poorer weak signal performance even if it does make the meter jump higher.I also understand that the cheap devices used in CB are simply NOT capable of achieving that low of a noise figure to allow a signal that weak to be detected. Yeti is correct about the EME guys that would love to achieve that mythical 0.0399uV noise floor and they use a lot better low noise receiving gear than you have. That 0.03499uV signals translates to about -136dBm which is about the signal of a GPS satellite which is usually actually below the noise floor. The fact that GPS receivers use VERY good RF preamps in the front end and yet often have trouble locking on to the signal tells me that that similar signal strength on a CB radio using typical frontend amps will be buried in the receivers noise floor. That supposed 0.03499 that you are talking about sounds to be off by a factor of 10. If it was 0.3499 then I would completely believe it.
Call Ron Damron @ cb radio store for verification. He knows all about it.
According to Ron, my HR2510 was @ .001uv.
(I doubt the accuracy of his equipment)
http://www.cbradiostoreinfontana.com/

Last edited:
Call Ron Damron @ cb radio store for verification. He knows all about it.
According to Ron, my HR2510 was @ .001uv.
(I doubt the accuracy of his equipment)
http://www.cbradiostoreinfontana.com/

THERE....YOU JUST SAID IT. "According to Ron, my HR2510 was @ .001uv" A tech can tell you or anyone else that does not understand such things anything he wants to and you will believe it because he supposedly knows what he is talking about. Not trying to piss you off but there is NWIH that radio is showing a sensitivity of 0.001 microvolts. That is pure bullshit and although I believe that YOU may believe it based on being told that by your tech, it is nevertheless pure male bovine excrement. Man you should try that radio out on my homemade titanium alloy dipole. It has 19dB gain and stomps on four element quads like there is no tomorrow. It's TRUE. Next time you are in town drop by and I'll demonstrate it for you. :D See what I mean?

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
THERE....YOU JUST SAID IT. "According to Ron, my HR2510 was @ .001uv" A tech can tell you or anyone else that does not understand such things anything he wants to and you will believe it because he supposedly knows what he is talking about. Not trying to piss you off but there is NWIH that radio is showing a sensitivity of 0.001 microvolts. That is pure bullshit and although I believe that YOU may believe it based on being told that by your tech, it is nevertheless pure male bovine excrement. man you should try that radio out on my homemade titanium alloy dipole. It has 19dB gain and stomps on four element quads like there is no tomorrow. It's TRUE. Next time you are in town drop by and I'll demonstrate it for you. :D
Ron is an unbiased party uninvolved with my radio. Excellent technician btw.
Marks measurement was .126uv at the time 8 years ago. I would be more than happy to let you check out the AT-6666 when it arrives in a couple weeks. That one should be down around .0399uv (remains to be seen)

this is a silly discussion.

anyone bothering to respond to rabbiporkchop is only serving to fill his day with internet activity. There is absolutely zero benefit to anyone else reading this.

I have no personal beef with you rabbiporkchop, but you are wasting everyone's time and i think you know it.
I think you know that this type of discussion will never go anywhere conclusive, and i think you are enjoying the back and forth simply because it gives you something to do.

who the hell cares how much sensitivity some tech can squeeze out of a cb/export radio.
atmospheric/man made noise is much greater than these numbers at any given moment and accounts for much of a radio's ability to hear and be heard during normal operation.

for a tech to be telling his customers that his claim to fame is better receive sensitivity without telling them the minimal effect on their day to day communications is borderline snake oil.

It's the same kind of crap CB shops have been pulling since the 70's. they tell you they can get you 10 more watts out of your radio without telling you what that actually equates to on the air.

who the hell cares if Fine Tune can get a .03uV noise floor into his dummy load.
Once the customer plugs that radio into an antenna that noise figure means jack squat on HF.

the real truth is that once the receiver's coils are tuned to properly match the impedance of their next stage, that's all that really matters.

Even if a given CB radio is only sensitive enough to pick up signals greater than 1uV, it will still hear everything out there that gets above the ambient noise created by the world around us.

anyone care to make a guess as to what the average noise level is at 27mhz?
I can tell you that it's more than .5uV which is what the better CB radios spec their sensitivity at.

If you guys enjoy arguing with someone who isn't going to budge one bit no matter what is posted, then have at it.
however, if you would like to go back to spending your time on the forum discussing things with people who actually want to converse/learn, then for goodness sake stop responding to rabbiporkchop's posts.

rabbiporkchop, again, i have no personal beef with you, im just tired of your threads wasting so much space and time on the forum.
I will say that to me, and im sure others, you come across as if you need to make a certain number of positive posts about Fine Tune CB shop each month.
usually this is done because someone has been offered something for free in return.

To all, go to Fine Tune CB shop or don't go to Fine Tune CB shop. that's it. nothing more needs to be said.
I will say that i do a fair amount of work re-modding radios that have been tuned with a scope and spec analyzer because the owner is no longer getting all the flowers on the air that they were used to before.
Flame all you want, i sleep fine at night.

can we PLEASE make this the last 7 page rabbiporkchop trollfest?
LC

this is a silly discussion.

anyone bothering to respond to rabbiporkchop is only serving to fill his day with internet activity. There is absolutely zero benefit to anyone else reading this.

I have no personal beef with you rabbiporkchop, but you are wasting everyone's time and i think you know it.
I think you know that this type of discussion will never go anywhere conclusive, and i think you are enjoying the back and forth simply because it gives you something to do.

who the hell cares how much sensitivity some tech can squeeze out of a cb/export radio.
atmospheric/man made noise is much greater than these numbers at any given moment and accounts for much of a radio's ability to hear and be heard during normal operation.

for a tech to be telling his customers that his claim to fame is better receive sensitivity without telling them the minimal effect on their day to day communications is borderline snake oil.

It's the same kind of crap CB shops have been pulling since the 70's. they tell you they can get you 10 more watts out of your radio without telling you what that actually equates to on the air.

who the hell cares if Fine Tune can get a .03uV noise floor into his dummy load.
Once the customer plugs that radio into an antenna that noise figure means jack squat on HF.

the real truth is that once the receiver's coils are tuned to properly match the impedance of their next stage, that's all that really matters.

Even if a given CB radio is only sensitive enough to pick up signals greater than 1uV, it will still hear everything out there that gets above the ambient noise created by the world around us.

anyone care to make a guess as to what the average noise level is at 27mhz?
I can tell you that it's more than .5uV which is what the better CB radios spec their sensitivity at.

If you guys enjoy arguing with someone who isn't going to budge one bit no matter what is posted, then have at it.
however, if you would like to go back to spending your time on the forum discussing things with people who actually want to converse/learn, then for goodness sake stop responding to rabbiporkchop's posts.

rabbiporkchop, again, i have no personal beef with you, im just tired of your threads wasting so much space and time on the forum.
I will say that to me, and im sure others, you come across as if you need to make a certain number of positive posts about Fine Tune CB shop each month.
usually this is done because someone has been offered something for free in return.

To all, go to Fine Tune CB shop or don't go to Fine Tune CB shop. that's it. nothing more needs to be said.
I will say that i do a fair amount of work re-modding radios that have been tuned with a scope and spec analyzer because the owner is no longer getting all the flowers on the air that they were used to before.
Flame all you want, i sleep fine at night.

can we PLEASE make this the last 7 page rabbiporkchop trollfest?
LC
How does any of this relate to Walcott Radio the subject of the original post?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.