• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Want to replace my Gainmaster.

For me, it would work for my purposes. If I had one, I'd probably put it up. But, since I don't have one, I'm still going with my original plans. Lol

Don't know about all the knock-offs, but the original would be hard to beat. Too bad the seller had way too much sugar on his cereal this morning. o_O

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antenna-Sp...356948?hash=item521064c1d4:g:cmIAAOSwYVBZqIOg

I had one of those. I bought it from Copper a long time ago. It sit in my closet for a very long time. I gave it to a friend to use, back in the late 90's. Lol, I guess I should have kept it. Back in the 60's and 70's, that was a very popular antenna around here.

Reactions: Riverman
That makes you think this?

The DB
What I'm saying is that even a 1/2w or 5/8w will have more gain than a 1/4w - which has only unity gain - right?
The 5/8w antenna generally has a low angle of radiation while a efhw doesn't - unless it is a vertical dipole.
Hmmm . . .come to think of it, maybe that is the easiest and cheapest way to go here . . . just a thought.
At least some gain is way better than NO gain - right?

First off, when it comes to mounting an antenna over earth, unity gain becomes irrelevant. It simply does not apply. The height of a certain part of the vertical antenna (the current node, or the point electrically 1/4 wavelength down from the tip of the antenna) above earth as well as the quality of the earth itself is what determines both gain and angle. Mount a 5/8 wavelength where it gets, say, 6 DBi in gain, then take a 1/4 wavelength antenna and mount it at the same tip height and it will have both the same gain and angle of radiation. All the additional length does is add additional height above ground to a vertical antenna, that is all.

And the further above ground these antennas are mounted, the smaller the difference in gain and the angle of radiation their is between them, and it doesn't take much to make a difference.

The DB

You mean; an antenna with no gain and no low angle of radiation?
Why?

I believe you mean slightly lower gain and slightly higher angle of radiation in SOME cases. As for the gain difference here's something to think about. Why does the slight gain disadvantage matter and yet increasing your TX power by 2 dB not make a worthwhile difference as is commonly stated? It is about the same difference yet people freak out over the gain difference of an antenna yet dismiss the gain of increasing their TX power by the same amount as being not worth the effort. What about the ground mounted 1/4 wave HF verticals beating out high dipoles on long haul DX?

13 hour shift and now the 1/4wl debate.

ROBB

I built them out of emt conduit, have about six of the 1/4 wl gp around the NE Florida. SE Georgia area.

No matching network, direct feed, no SO 239, split the coax and connect it (For QRO purposes, think 3cx3000)

The previous antennas were antron99, imax2000, SP500.Every one has observed that the 1/4wl seems to RX and TX just as good if not better than what they had in the air before. NO wide swing in the VSWR plot, no lossy matching network.

It is about the closest thing to a balanced vertical dipole as there is.
Coax is ran through the mast pipe, sort of like a sleeve balun.
I notice no TVI or RFI using my cheap amplified computer speakers for test purposes. others state same thing no TVI no RFI issues.

Marconi has done some extensive side by side comparisons of the starduster 1/4 wl gp vs several other types, the 1/4wl is even if not better than other gp he has tested and compared. Results of his comparisons are posted on this forum somewhere.

I am not saying it is the silver bullet or holy grail of antennas, but for ease of construction and performance it is darn hard to beat it

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.