1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to replace my Gainmaster.

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Mudfoot, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I want to swap out my Gainmaster for another vertical. Any newish, must have models on the market? I don't want any Antron or IMAX. What's a one to put up?

2. Robb

Robb Yup

Sirio Vector 4000?
    I ditched the Imax for it . . . like it . . .
    $144 plus free shipping at Amazon

#2 Robb, Sep 22, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
  3. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

Some of the locals have a homemade version of the vector 4k / sigma 4. They are good performers. It is an old design but I don't think you can beat it as far as vertical antennas go.....omnidirectional that is. They really whip around in the wind so my concern would be how durable they are.

4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Wasn't there an old school antenna similar to that? I like the specs. I'll add it to my list.

5. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

I need it to be durable. I'm getting old and crackly. Don't want to do this again. I want whatever I put up there to last a long time.

If it's built like some of their mobile antennas, it outta be fine.

6. Ranch55

Ranch55 Well-Known Member

ZERO FIVE ANTENNAS ........
    Colossal 10K ..... built as tough as a tank ......very sturdy and very, very strong ....
    It does cost ...... about $349 or so, plus shipping .....
    BUT, as per your statement, don't want to do it again .......
    I have one up since last March, ....... tough as nails ......

Mudfoot likes this.
  7. DXman

DXman Well-Known Member

The I 10K from Jay In The Mohave is what I have, absolutely no problems for the last 9 yrs or so.

Interceptor 10 K.jpg

TheRATT, Mudfoot and undertaker like this.
  8. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

Robb and Mudfoot like this.
  9. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

Nice

10. Ranch55

Ranch55 Well-Known Member

Yes, this was my first choice.
    I have communicated with Jay several times. He has indicated that he does not know if he will get the Interceptor 10K back into production.

11. tba02

tba02 WOOF

Just curious, why do you want to replace it?

12. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Sr. Member

It's getting old, ain't nothing wrong with it. I got it when they first came out. I'm putting a TV antenna underneath it. Doing everything all at once while I have manpower available.

Also, want something that can take some wattage, later down the road.

13. 543_Dallas

543_Dallas Sr. Member

I have a bm tech shockwave, not the Australian shockwave. It is very similar to the I 10k. Mine has only been up for 3 - 4 years so I can't brag too much. The power limiting factor is the coax connector you use. If more than a couple kw use the 7/16 din connector for extra insurance.

The guys around here with the mr coily had issues with cracking around the welds. I'm not a fan of welded aluminum antennas. It looks manly but can cause more issues than it's worth.

Use coax seal everywhere you think water might get in. Use Noalox on every joint and protect any plastic parts with paint, flex seal, tape or something to keep the sun off.

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  14. BJ radionut

BJ radionut Supporting Member and 6m addict

/www.sirioantenna.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_18&products_id=412&zenid=u39su1efueu4bgn091ubgl5us2

Works OK...I replaced all the CHEAP hardware...added heat shrink and Scotch 33+ tape on all the joints...Has held up well in wind for quite few years at 30ft on the barn(copy stick for 10m when out thr)...but still not as good as my rebuilt RINGO/AR10 at 33ft near the shack...That Ringo been thru a war(couple tornado's etc...)...replaced hardware maybe 3 times but have it for like 20 years now...
    All the Best
    Gary

15. wavrider

wavrider W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I have been impressed by the performance of a simple straight forward 1/4 wl groundplane.