• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanted Fatboy 1x4 base amp

Mar 7, 2019
Va
Looking for a Fatboy, Dave Made, etc. Base amp. 1x4 preferably. I might buy something bigger depending on price. Want an amp that plugs into the wall. Batteries and power supplies are a pain. Thanks and God bless!

Redbeard, those are all fine amplifiers but he stated he wants a "plug in the wall" base amp. Those all looked to be "mobile" amplifiers.

There's a lot of amps that peakaboo worked on 10+ years ago and people try to use it as a selling point. Someone doubled up the balancing resistors on the output combiner. I'll bet lunch it has weak pills and the 2 watt 100 ohms that it was built with were overheating.

Stay away from the Jim built stuff. No negative feedback circuit and has only the parts necessary to make a watt meter swing. The meterbaiters loved them but they were turds.

Only if its driven hard which now that I think about it is probably true in the CB world (Hams do it too)

I know a couple of CBers that were disappointed with 811s and 572b amplifiers. Most don't have the discipline to run them on AM without killing them.

I've tried to explain they were rated for ssb use and the output is going to be lower on 11m than the 160 thru 15. Some of them start to listen after the second or third set of tubes.

I know a couple of CBers that were disappointed with 811s and 572b amplifiers. Most don't have the discipline to run them on AM without killing them.

I've tried to explain they were rated for ssb use and the output is going to be lower on 11m than the 160 thru 15. Some of them start to listen after the second or third set of tubes.
I totally agree with this post.
I got my 811 amp at a very reasonable price from the guy who got it new because he complained that it would not do 600 watts on AM mode on 11 meters.
He quickly roasted 2 sets of tubes and declared it a royal pos.
It is a built for SSB and in the 10/11 meter bands the output is even lower.
811's do not have the plate dissipation to work that hard in AM mode.
Guys that run AM should not even consider this amp.
As a side note.....
I would not buy a 1x4 transistor base amp I don't care who built it.
Stick with 4 transistors or 6.
1x4 amps are just a problem waiting to happen.
Sure guys run 667 and other 1x4's, but all it takes is to forget to turn the power down on the radio one time and they go poof.
They are not forgiving at all.
You are much better off with a tube that will do 2 times what you want and back off off so it will last a lifetime.

All just my opinion.
Jeff.
( P.S.
Spend the money on a Yagi antenna if you have the room)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.