• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanted: Galaxy Saturn Turbo

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
Hello all! I am in the market to purchase a nice and clean and non hacked up Galaxy Saturn Turbo 10 meter base radio.

Please PM me with your asking price and pictures of it!

Thank you for your time!!!

Dan

This radio was in production for over 20 years, from around 1991 or 1992 until around 2006 or so. Internal production details didn't change from year to year quite as much as a passenger car, but the design evolved over the decades.

Bear also in mind that another importer sold that exact radio with the name badge "Eagle 5000".

The original RCI2990 model is essentially the exact same radio made by the same vendor.

Tricky part if you want a low-mileage 1990s car is finding one. What you are seeking would be the radio equivalent of a "barn find" 1997 Turbo radio. People who bought this radio would tend to put it to use. This eventually reveals the design faults of the power supply. We just refer to it as "suicidal", since when it fails the radio's computer gets slammed.

The fix is deceptively simple. The switchmode "brick" power supply that RCI has used in the 2995 models since 2006 contain all the protection circuits that the old one with the large, heavy transformer did not provide. The 350-Watt switchmode brick power supplies are widely available these days.

.We won't repair this kind of radio whatever the name badge unless we also replace that power supply. Sending it home with the original factory power supply is a liability I don't need.

If you find a clean, acceptable radio to buy that has the old heavy transformer power supply, consider having the power supply upgraded. This will extend the radio's useable life span.

The Galaxy Saturn is an awesome talker on AM and FM and they look cool. I had one back in the early 90s, along with a 1X4 tube modulator swinging about a KW. But it had horrible drift on sideband. Today, these radios are way overpriced, and not really worth it. For that kind of money, you can get an older HF radio that runs circles around it. But the classic style of those Saturns/Rangers never lose that retro appeal for some, myself included.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.