• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanting opinions on a base antenna!

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
Hello fellow CB enthusiasts!

My trusty Super Penetrator 500 has developed an issue that will likely take some time to resolve, so that being said, I am in the market for an antenna to replace it. I plan on fixing the SPT-500 and keeping it as a backup antenna.

Here's what I am looking for:

Wanting something that's aluminum, omni-directional, vertical, ground plane. I want something that's 5/8 wave or .64. I need something that can handle high winds, as the winds here on the hill can gust in excess of 60-70 mph at times. Money isn't an issue, and I would like to find something that is available for immediate purchase.

Any thoughts or input on where I could get something of this nature would be greatly appreciated, thank you! (y)

~Cheers~

Had one, snapped within 3 weeks right at the base. I also had a Sirio 2016 that did the exact same thing, snapped right at the base from the wind load.

Honestly, if the M400 would have survived the winds, I'd still have that antenna up. It was a wonderful antenna.

I'm going to steer clear of Sirio stuff.

I do appreciate the suggestion tho, Tallman! (y):)

~Cheers~

I was going to do that, but the base itself had taken some damage when the vertical section broke, and I wasn't able to save it.

I really wanted to save that antenna, but it was damaged too badly. :(

~Cheers~

Honestly, if the M400 would have survived the winds, I'd still have that antenna up. It was a wonderful antenna.

E13, here is an idea you might consider. It is very light and easy to get up high.

I use to build a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna using a mobile mirror mount on a 5 foot mast pipe, with a radial hub from an A99. I used 3 x 102" stainless steel whips slanted down, three as radials and one as the radiator. It looks and works just like my Starduster...just much stronger. No tuning required for CB either.

I called it the Marconi 4x, when I used 4 SS whips. I may have discussed this one here on WWDX. A search may find something back in those days.

It does tune a bit higher in the CB frequencies because the 102" radiator is a little short.

Get a better quality mirror mount and use SS hardware and you should be fine with this low wind load design and rugged SS whips.

Attachments

• Marconi antenna.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
GROUND PLANE - DP-275-27 - "Devant Special" 11 Meters
5/8 wave vertical ground plane antenna offers dependable base-to-base, and base-to-mobile communications you can count on.

Its exclusive design is yet unequaled by any other antennas of its kind. This antenna delivers a consistent 360° Omni-directional radiation pattern.
The DEVANT is second to none in construction.
MOSLEY ELECTRONICS, INC.
http://mosley-electronics.com/cb_27_mhz.html

Marconi, I have pretty much all of the hardware except for the 102" whips. I could see if I can snag some whips reasonable from one of the local Radio Scraps. We actually have 2 of them left here in Iowa, and they may have NOS 102's in stock still. I have the mount, the stud, and the A99 GP hub. What's nice is that there is no matching network, just like the old A/S Starduster.

~Cheers~

ExitThirteen... from your initial post I would have to say a SHOCKWAVE antenna. I know that they are a little pricey but the craftsmanship is outstanding and I think the investment is worth it. I wanted the same thing as you when my IMAX2000 went on the blink. Something I could put up and know it's going to last thru all that nasty weather and most of all be the last antenna I would ever have to climb up and install. I have seen a few used ones out there for decent pricing....but it's worth saving up for IMHO. I am more than happy with it's performance and construction and I think that you would be, also.

Reactions: 357magnum

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.