• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanting opinions on a base antenna!

Hello fellow CB enthusiasts!

My trusty Super Penetrator 500 has developed an issue that will likely take some time to resolve, so that being said, I am in the market for an antenna to replace it. I plan on fixing the SPT-500 and keeping it as a backup antenna.

Here's what I am looking for:

Wanting something that's aluminum, omni-directional, vertical, ground plane. I want something that's 5/8 wave or .64. I need something that can handle high winds, as the winds here on the hill can gust in excess of 60-70 mph at times. Money isn't an issue, and I would like to find something that is available for immediate purchase.

Any thoughts or input on where I could get something of this nature would be greatly appreciated, thank you! (y)

~Cheers~
I know that the majority of people are not in favor of the I MAX 2000, but it is the first antenna I in stalled several months ago. Last night here in Central NY, we had one heck of a rain storm with high winds and my first concern was if the 2000 was going to break-off and fly into my neighbors roof. The top of the antenna is just about forty-six feet above the ground. I went outside to check how much it was bending over and it looked like an oversized recurve bow! First thing this morning I checked the SWR on all channels and everything was fine. I talked on the radio a few times today and transmit and receive were great. I am curious about how much bending it would withstand before the wiring in the three fiberglass sections would break. Being that the SWR is good, I am assuming the wiring is still OK.

... edit... I am curious about how much bending it would withstand before the wiring in the three fiberglass sections would break. Being that the SWR is good, I am assuming the wiring is still OK.

Usually, the internal wire doesn't break, it usually holds the broken parts together.

then,... they end up here
images

:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.