• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Washington Meter

autotuner

Dec 25, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I have been given a Uniden Washington. Powers up, mains hum in speaker so will replace the caps.
But... meter is dead, open circuit. Anyone know where I can get one ? Or does anyone have a tear down?
Needs to be able to be shipped to Australia......

The round meters are rare. Barkett is the only source I know at the moment.

At the rear of the meter the pivot tension screw is visible behind clear tape. If the problem is a seized pointer that won't move, backing off this screw will sometimes fix the problem. It's locked in place with a dab of clear enamel. The tricky part is to make it turn without breaking the tip off of a jeweler's screwdriver small enough to fit it. The largest tip that will securely engage the screw slot is your best bet.

Thanks guys, I thought it would unobtanium, will try to order one when I am back at my PC and not this stupid tablet which keeps crashing.
I'd like to get the old Washington back to operational.
Nomad, the meter moves freely, just meters as O/c and no response when AA cell put across it. The screw adjust is butchered so I'd say someone has tried to fix it before me.

Yep, time for a new one.
Or
yx-1000a-magnet-and-coil.gif
Meter faults other than a seized pivot are located in three places. The connection between the moving coil and the tab seen poking out from under the spring, The spring itself, and the spring's attachment seen to the right.
Subjected to an overload the hair thin wire parts but "usually" leaves a pigtail not quite long enough to reach the arm. Extending the arm slightly with a small piece of wire to bridge the gap works here.

The spring can be subjected to G forces that bind the spring onto itself. This is just fiddles until it is carefully put right. Luckily if no one has been in there with a club it has a good memory for it's original shape. Work slow and patient with the meter in a vise of some sort and use one hand to steady the other.

yx-1000a-needle-return-spring.gif

The lacquer or glue can be softened by heat like the application of a fine tip soldering point for a few seconds. Before this is tried verify that the spring isn't bound and that the moving coil does move.

Some can be saved but in the end it's tedious , exacting work that I won't do anymore.
Give it chance though. Put it under high magnification and see if something can be done. I have a few tricks for micro soldering if you decide to proceed.

The 2% solution.

Find another movement that will fit in the original meter. Even if it's series resistance is markedly different changing the shunt and multiplier is a whole lot easier than the above repairs.

Kopcicle....geez, I Need to find my eyes from 30 years ago !
I wondered about another movement modified to fit... will see how much it will cost from Burkett. I am of Scottish heritage so a bit tight with my money.....

Reactions: S&W357 and Rwb
All the S meters that are used in CB’s that I ran across over the years are measuring volts, not current. Volt meters don’t have a parallel shunt like a current meter that would somewhat protect the coil from too much voltage being applied. I would never place a any battery directly across a meter unless you first know the type of meter you’re dealing with. A full scale reading on most of these volt meters used in CB's is around 50 microvolt or .00005 volt. I don’t think any of them contain any internal series resistor /shunt either. That’s all done externally when needed. 1.5 volts will slam the needle and possibly damage the movement and coil. For a quick test, some people suggest placing a 47K resistor in series with a 1.5 battery. Others talk of using a 50k pot in series, and then they slowly reduce the resistance till the needle starts to move. Ooops! Forgot which end of the pot had the maximum resistance, slam / pop, another meter bites the dust. I simply test them with my cheap $5 digital multimeter from Harbor Freight. I usually start out at 200K ohms for safety. Most of these CB meters will indicate about quarter movement at 20K and a little over half way at 2K.

Pivot freeze is the main problem by far and easiest to fix, but like Kopcicle stated, the moving coil releasing itself from the tab is also common. I have successfully (brag) soldered a few of those coil springs back into place as a challenge. Credits go to my +8 power glasses, fine tip soldering iron, clamps and several makeshift jigs taped together out of whatever is in the junk pile. Oh I forgot, practice holding your breath like you getting an X ray. Fail or not, I’ll keep trying to fix these difficult problems again when the time arises. I can’t help myself….

They're all really "current" meters.

You put a shunt resistor in parallel to divide the current between the shunt and the meter coil.

You put a resistor in series to obtain the desired coil current when measuring a voltage.

Not too many ways to measure voltage without stealing some current from the voltage source you want to measure.

Likewise, whenever you measure current with a meter that's in series with the circuit you the meter's resistance will 'borrow' some voltage from the circuit. They call it 'burden voltage', I think.

Just shows you can't get something for nothing.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I use a old ohm meter with the needle in it to show ohms. when I touch the ohm meter contacts to the meter it will swing just a little if it is good. the meter in the radio will swing just a little

Reactions: sunbulls

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.