• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Weak solar cycles = another big decline of the 11 meter local & DX population

- BJ radionut:
FR and I went Coast to Coast this morning on 75m...
Fr/San Fran. CALIF...
Dean/Billingham, Wash (60m N of Seattle)...
Jerry/Norfolk, VA...
Robin/Cincinnati,OH...
Brooks/St. Joe, MICH...
Charles/S. Central, IND

And of course The Mouth of the Midwest(me) near Indy,IND...
ALL Chatting and copying each other this morning...
HF 75m can be SO COOL when conditions are even just moderately good!

Goes without saying of Course I was 5/9 EVERYWHERE :p :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB:D

ONLY 5X9?? Receiving station must have been attenuated 20DB:whistle::whistle::whistle:
I was at work and missed the round table on 75 meter coffee club

Garth you need drag yourself out of bed when you have time and join the 3.865 crowd in the mornings.
Every now and then some VE's check in to the not politically correct rag chews

I need some antennas up first. :( Working on that this summer if my knee will allow me to climb. Still nursing a blown out meniscus and a torn ACL. Even my wire antenna is broken and the halyard is jammed in the pulley at 65 feet up. :mad: Hope to have yagis up on all bands 20m-2m with a 40m rotatable dipole and a couple antennas for 80m Perhaps a few half slopers around the tower as well as a 1/4 wave vertical and possibly an inverted L all before winter. Wish me luck.

That sucks on the blown out knee,, sucks even more knowing you want to get the antenna farm up and working but physical restraints do not allow it.

Hope the knee heals well and you can get back to doing what you enjoy.

Conditions have improved in the last couple weeks. Good ol early summer sporadic E. I had a lot of fun on 10/11 last weekend. Even with the QSB still managed 30-40 contacts. Great fun BUT unfortunately it won't last to long...

I know the decline of the 11 meter hobby is always discussed and I've heard all the arguments since the early 90's but I'm feeling like things have changed a bit.

There's a couple of points that have me worried about the future of the CB hobby -

• I can't remember the last time 11meter DX was this dead - even in a bad cycle. And it's forecast to be bad for a number of years and the next cycle is also predicted to be weak. https://www.vencoreweather.com/blog...entury-now-heading-towards-next-solar-minimum
  • The locals who were on for years seem to be fading out. I've noticed a big decline in local talking in most areas I travel through. In the two larger cities I pass through 500K plus population ( there are maybe 10-20 CB operators who are regularly on the radio and even 10 years ago that number was probably double. You'll hear dump trucks or drivers during the day in the city but at night it's a ghost town of channels.
  • Much of the hobby population is older and starting to fade out
  • There seem to be less and less truckers on the radio or that even have radios
  • Current technology means youth aren't as interested in CB radio - actual knowledge of the existence of current radios/hobby seems to be lost on youth. Most people under 20 don't even know what a CB radio is / or if they do they didn't know you can still buy them or use them without a license. Nor do they have any incentive or drive to learn aside from a small group of 4x4 users.
  • The radio market is showing signs of the contraction - 10 years ago we'd have multiple radio launches each year with unique designs and competition even with the clones. The number of new radios/products has slowed drastically in the last 2-3 years.
  • Interference - we've seen more electrical interference from BPL and other technology and in many city areas the interference is getting ridiculous.
Now I'm not saying that this means that in 10 years no one will be on the radio - I'm sure all the hardcore users and DXer's who have always been on there will continue to be - however if you go through 2 terrible cycles the likes of which we haven't seen in 100 years and even in the "peak years" the DX sucks will we see more people start to shelve their radios?

I'm also wondering if the FCC is considering killing the CB band and reallocating it to another use.

In my area I would expect that in another 20 years most of the CB hobbyists will be gone and that overall the national CB DX population will be reduced by 1/2 or more.

I know that there have been numerous times where we have seen declines - but this time around seems a little different combination of factors. I know the ham crowd will say there is still plenty of action on the ham bands which I also enjoy however I'm lamenting the loss of a particular band/style/crowd that I always found enjoyable.

On the plus side we won't see as many pileups during DX and for now I basically have my own radio service - 40 local channels of nothing.

Anyway - just a depressing topic to ponder while we wait for the DX to return (hopefully it will) :)
I kinda like it. Although I've not been on the air as much as I did when conditions allowed for contact to Europe and Asia I enjoy the ability to have enjoyable qso's thought out the Americas (all the way to South and North America) without 100's of stations jumping up and down to make that same contact with that single station coming in from Europe. It's enough to quench my DX habit. 73

anyone got a time frame they're getting skip? every time I turn it on it's quiet. I just turned it on and had to check I hadn't knocked the band switch and that the RF gain was still all the way up.
s0.

anyone got a time frame they're getting skip? every time I turn it on it's quiet. I just turned it on and had to check I hadn't knocked the band switch and that the RF gain was still all the way up.
s0.
It has been North/South skip along the West Coast over the last week. From Montana to Arizona and Washington to SoCal - even Utah pops in for a bit.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.