• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

went to my last hamfest yesterday

Rwb

tell the devil im gettin there as fast as i can,r
Jun 30, 2018
jarc had a hamfest,actually today also.
i went with a nib radio sells for $199.99. i spotted a few radios i was interested in. they offered me anywhere from $50. to $75 for a new radio in on some older radios that might be on edge of a nervous breakdown. so i said screw that. walked to a dealer ive bought new radios from. he was so kind to offer $35 for my radio in on a new radio specially priced for the hamfest. the special price ,get this $ 25. more than buying from him on the phone with free shipping. i watched and nobody was buying anything.
i spent $20.for gas + $20 to get wife n i in then $35 for supper.
next hamfest can go on without me. these fine people were worse than gun show dealers.
ran into a few friends n they all said wow expensive junk you can buy on flea bay for less.
sadly price your stuff so high nobody buys then not show up n why put this event on ?
my friends all said no more hamfests for them either.
ok my ranting is over anybody want a new icom ic 2300? i want 25% over new price lol. im keeping that radio might need it someday. its extra to me it wont fit in my daughters car why i bought it.

Hamfests, gun shows and any other show are now like a circus. They have traveling leeches that roam from place to place. It's not like it used to be where there was dealers and more importantly, the old Elmer's swapping stories and junk boxes. Rebuilt radios and antenna parts. I've been done for a bit with the whole thing. Screw em, I'll buy cheap chinese imports from ebay before I do a fest ever again. I can get robbed from home

Hamfests, gun shows and any other show are now like a circus. They have traveling leeches that roam from place to place. It's not like it used to be where there was dealers and more importantly, the old Elmer's swapping stories and junk boxes. Rebuilt radios and antenna parts. I've been done for a bit with the whole thing. Screw em, I'll buy cheap chinese imports from ebay before I do a fest ever again. I can get robbed from home
Funny you said that cause a guy i spoke to yesterday said same thing. We both decided waste of time n money. But that dealer with his special show prices and how he treated me was a deal breaker. Oh well a great era can close in our time i suppose.
As for those followers in gun shows i called em scalpers

Reactions: nfsus
Same thing here.The hamfests here have guys wanting $600-$800 for unkown Yaesu FT-101's, boxes of old coax for more than new, mic's for more than new, and all else is way, way over priced beat up junk.

Reactions: Rwb
I stopped about 2 years ago. I would load up on connectors, adapters and project stuff. The guy I used to buy PL 259s from was charging 10% over retail. I said "WTF", he said " I have a captured audience so I up my prices". To treat the consumer like that indicates the type you are dealing with. Hit 'em where it hurts!

Reactions: Smiley429 and Rwb
I still go to the local ones. I just go knowing I will probably come home not buying a thing. It's the same way with the automotive swap meets. I go not needing anything but sometimes find something unexpected and cool.

It's something to get me out of the house on a sunday morning and its fun to run in to people I haven't seen in awhile.

Those sellers weren't interested in giving up anything. They went home afterwards and told their wives, "I tried but no body was buying" :eek:
yep very true cept the 1 i was trying to trade with at first had his wife with him saying he is offering you a good deal and he ignored her

I went to 3 this year, here in Texas (had to miss the Fall Belton 'Fest last weekend though), but prices by sellers were fair, I sold about 1/2 of what I brought to each one, and I'm looking forward to the one just down the road from me next March on the 4th!

I live close to Dayton and went this Spring to the Greene County Fairgrounds for the Hamvention after its two year absence. Not going again anytime soon unless there is a group of us who would like to party.

• Haha
I'll party anytime but for Ohio, it might need a Bengals vs NYG game. Then again it's a long drive, so we can abuse each other from the comfort of our living rooms?:LOL:. You'll probably be laughing more the me though.

• Haha
if there is, they are unknown junk n way overpriced like a used Lincoln II for $400
I find 2950's etc.... Saturn base stations all the time at fests... I have purchased working 2950's for like $100-125 USD with factory boxes and manuals. The CB "Guys" at Hamfest's think Ebay is alive at the fest's...they 99% take everything home. I have found most generally a ham that owns this gear sells at a reasonable rate. I mean how can you see better preforming HF All Band rigs for $200-to ??? and expect some op to pay $400++++ for a converted 10/11 just because it has Echo and prudy lights :cool:

I find 2950's etc.... Saturn base stations all the time at fests... I have purchased working 2950's for like $100-125 USD with factory boxes and manuals. The CB "Guys" at Hamfest's think Ebay is alive at the fest's...they 99% take everything home. I have found most generally a ham that owns this gear sells at a reasonable rate. I mean how can you see better preforming HF All Band rigs for $200-to ??? and expect some op to pay $400++++ for a converted 10/11 just because it has Echo and prudy lights :cool:
What actual Hamfests did you Attend to find a 2950 at that price with the box and Manual

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.