• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WestMountainRadio ClrDsp feedback

1). As a rep, he’d have him a big ol’ beam at home.

2). He’d have a collection of classic (desirable collector item) CB Radios and videos to compare higher-quality audio among the select; then to turn on the WMR unit.

3). He’d have more than one; somehow ain’t had the scratch for units in his pickup or TT, not to mention his sons’ home & car.

4). Finally, the chromed slow mover special edition would now be for sale.

Last edited:
In time for Xmas will be signed units in a one-time-only series of fifty (50) featuring backlit controls on a black chrome case.

A little flat-top FLD pulling a 45x96 flatbed etched on the back. A 9-speed and it ain’t got no go. “Westbound 40, you gotcha a slow mover at the 167 yardstick”.

Don’t be gettin’ runned over. Hear what’s comin’ atcha!

Last edited:
Later this year will be signed units in a one-time-only series of fifty (50) featuring backlit controls on a black chrome case.

A little flat-top FLD pulling a 45x96 flatbed etched on the back. A 9-speed and it ain’t got no go. “Westbound 40, you gotcha a slow mover at the 167 yardstick”.

Commissioned by the Franklin Mint?? I could put it next to my Civil War chess set. The finest pewter around!

Well I went ahead and ordered the all in one unit so I can compare it the stand alone DSP. Should arrive on Thursday.

Since you give the impression of liking experiments, my truck-mount has the unit fully above my head (left-side) and aimed much more down than out.

Pretty much being seated next to a wall with comfortable elbow room would work with the speaker on an arm or shelf.

In a big truck the roof interior is less than a foot above the speaker.

The audio quality (not just DSP) is more obvious once one is “inside” the direct & short indirect sound projection.

A KES-5 sounds good mounted this way — better than a $35 truckstop choice — but lacks some “presence”. Public Setvice agencies are highly reliant on codes and stock phrases to avoid misunderstandings. Reliability over the last nuances.

While the WMR unit isn’t the end-all of vocal reproduction, attention to placement brings up its best qualities. The noise background in a Peterbilt with window cracked is less than a 1970s sedan, AND it’s “a big room” where soft surfaces predominate (lots of rigid plastic, but floor and ceiling are carpeted).

One needn’t have it in reach from a seated position. Almost all filtration is going to wind up with that knob set 10-12:00 (more preference than filtration level).

Having it nearer ceiling a little ways out from the wall is a position I’d like to recommend to give a try-out. (Left ear predominance).

Comparison position, IOW. (Swap speakers around).

Last edited:
Reactions: Crawdad
My ClearSpeech DSP Speaker arrived today. I sold the stand alone DSP and KES-5 speaker on the hunch that the all in one unit was better integrated. My hunch was correct. I think the speaker is better matched to the DSP than trying to find the perfect speaker for the stand-alone unit. The white noise reduction is the same in both units about 1/3. I like having one unit instead of two items DSP plus a speaker. The tone control on the stand alone DSP I didn’t find to be useful. Also I can’t hear the DSP in the background as much in the all in one unit.

As has been mentioned their is a slight delay between un-keying and before the DSP kicks in. I don’t remember that being the case with the stand alone DSP.,

Going to need to spend more time really scrutinizing the all in one DSP/Speaker. I have no regrets selling the DSP and KES-5 speaker. The all in one speaker to DSP is a better match and having only one piece of equipment instead of two is an advantage if you have space limitations.

Not enough band activity tonight.

Attachments

• 7115A022-9144-4DAE-8601-51B2415A9C79.jpeg
    7115A022-9144-4DAE-8601-51B2415A9C79.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 502B0A94-B2E4-4CAE-B13E-7559EAB44C80.jpeg
    502B0A94-B2E4-4CAE-B13E-7559EAB44C80.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
The stand alone processor arrived here today also. Just finished connections a few minutes ago. Will need some time to play with it before I give an opinion. The band is extra dead here this evening, even the local AMers aren't around. No sideband traffic at all.

Hope one of you all will try the speaker from overhead someday. Aimed at one from bench isn’t the same. (Ceiling + two-walls reinforcement).

Thars gold in them thar hills.

FWIW, I have to lengthen both audio & power cables to get it in the sweet spot. Seven (7) years and thirteen (13) tractors so far. Tomorrow’s will be Truck -#14. Four (4) brands and nine (9) models. (Yeah, that’s trucker job-hopping; not a penalty).

Make sense to you that driver has re-done it numerous times given regular tractor changes? Why wouldn’t he just put it on the dash aimed at himself?

Food for thought.

Last edited:
The stand alone processor arrived here today also. Just finished connections a few minutes ago. Will need some time to play with it before I give an opinion. The band is extra dead here this evening, even the local AMers aren't around. No sideband traffic at all.

Last night around 0000 hours I was able to scratch up a QSO on sideband with a local who is about 20 miles away. We talked for a couple hours (yes, the band was dead here) which gave me plenty of chance to get the feel of the ClrDsp processor. It works! It really cleaned up the background/floor noise and allowed me to copy the local much better than without it.

My usual noise floor at night is S6/S7 forcing me to back the RF gain down 1/3, with the ClrDsp in the chain I could turn the gain to full and still have comfortable listening and a much clearer copy on the voice. Turning the Hi-Cut filter and ANL off on the radio actually improved the sound, leaving the Noise Blanker on removed the swirly water sound. Best settings for me on the Dsp were Filter and Tone @ 10 o'clock, output from the radio (volume) set to 4 (scale of 1to36). Turning the radio volume higher just resulted in more clipping, am using the Dsp volume pot to control speaker output. I experienced no delays in filtering after unkeying but I do get some noticeable pops when keying/unkeying.

Hopefully there will be some SSBDX today to see how much it will improve those DX signals stuck in the mud (like me).

Of course YMMV, but it seems like a decent buy if you're having noise issues. All in all the unit feels/seems well built with quality feeling controls and connection cables (as it should for two C notes). Pots are smooth and stay where you leave them. Not the ChiCom crap typical today. Longevity will tell the tale I guess.

I have to give kudos to Ham Radio Outlet for having it on sale and for the 2 day USPS free shipping from Anaheim.

The biggest credit goes to WMR sales rep SLOWMOVER who sold me on the product through many, many, many, many posts on this site. :sneaky:
Many.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.