• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WestMountainRadio ClrDsp feedback

The key/unkey pops can be lessened with some fiddling with the radio and DSP volume controls.
Enjoy!

JD

You were absolutely right JD. Radio volume @ mid-point, Dsp just above minimum and the unkey pop is gone and the keyup pop is minimal. Have to wait for some traffic (another dead day here) to see if clipping occurs with the AF that high.

Thanks much & keep healing

Last edited:
Last night around 0000 hours I was able to scratch up a QSO on sideband with a local who is about 20 miles away. We talked for a couple hours (yes, the band was dead here) which gave me plenty of chance to get the feel of the ClrDsp processor. It works! It really cleaned up the background/floor noise and allowed me to copy the local much better than without it.

My usual noise floor at night is S6/S7 forcing me to back the RF gain down 1/3, with the ClrDsp in the chain I could turn the gain to full and still have comfortable listening and a much clearer copy on the voice. Turning the Hi-Cut filter and ANL off on the radio actually improved the sound, leaving the Noise Blanker on removed the swirly water sound. Best settings for me on the Dsp were Filter and Tone @ 10 o'clock, output from the radio (volume) set to 4 (scale of 1to36). Turning the radio volume higher just resulted in more clipping, am using the Dsp volume pot to control speaker output. I experienced no delays in filtering after unkeying but I do get some noticeable pops when keying/unkeying.

Hopefully there will be some SSBDX today to see how much it will improve those DX signals stuck in the mud (like me).

Of course YMMV, but it seems like a decent buy if you're having noise issues. All in all the unit feels/seems well built with quality feeling controls and connection cables (as it should for two C notes). Pots are smooth and stay where you leave them. Not the ChiCom crap typical today. Longevity will tell the tale I guess.

I have to give kudos to Ham Radio Outlet for having it on sale and for the 2 day USPS free shipping from Anaheim.

The biggest credit goes to WMR sales rep SLOWMOVER who sold me on the product through many, many, many, many posts on this site. :sneaky:
Many.

Great description. Mirrors that of many or most of us.

While mobile, that background clean-up enables me to understand.

I could HEAR them, but not quite intelligibly.
So why not just turn up the SQ and reduce RFG? Can’t use what’s there.

The WMR unit means that over a far greater range of noisy daylight conditions that men who are discussing information pertinent to my plans CAN BE UNDERSTOOD.

And now is when the amp plus antenna installation come into play. Second place is (TX) to (RX).

Just an update on the ClrDsp if anyone is interested. Had some excellent sideband traffic this morning which allowed me to finetune the settings. I also changed to a different speaker. Thanks to JDchet's advice I was able to adjust out the key-up popping, it's working quite well now and I believe it will be staying in the line up.

Both sidebands sound quiet and clear, almost as good as some of the great radios from the past (Grants,148s, etc.), before the mfg'rs all went cheapshit with the crystal filters.

Strong and middle strength signals are very pleasant to hear, weaker signals haven't improved as much as I'd hoped but oh well. But the most important factor is the ambient noise I have to deal with every day has been significantly reduced, which is what I was really after. I haven't yet tried the processor on a couple of older Ranger boarded radios I have (they're painful to listen to on SSB), maybe it will help them also.

A no-joke big thanks to SLOWMOVER for the bug-in-the-ear to try one out.

73 and enjoy the DX

Does the speaker need a power source?

No. I don't have the Dsp w/speaker model. Mine is the stand-alone processor only. The ClrDsp has a built-in amp. I have the volume/output of the radio set and I don't touch it, then use the amp/volume control of the Dsp to control speaker volume. I wouldn't think a powered speaker would be needed or desired.

Reactions: Slowmover
No. I don't have the Dsp w/speaker model. Mine is the stand-alone processor only. The ClrDsp has a built-in amp. I have the volume/output of the radio set and I don't touch it, then use the amp/volume control of the Dsp to control speaker volume. I wouldn't think a powered speaker would be needed or desired.

I run a studio monitor speaker with the dsp and think the audio sounds fantastic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?