• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What are the technical reasons that all drones can’t be jammed/redirected?

nbsr

Mar 29, 2014
Hudson Valley, NY
I’m not asking about the fun ones, more Iran/Russian military grade.

"Zhitel can jam a GPS signal within 30km of the jammer," says Mr Clark. "For weapons like [US-made] JDAM bombs, which use just a GPS receiver to guide it to the target, that's sufficient to lose its geolocation and go off target."

That’s according to the BBC a few hours ago, and I’m not looking for state secrets here, but if radio controlled……….

Please share if you are aware.
Thanks

DJI Phantom 4 drones were capable of uploading a flight plan in advance and they do everything from take-off to land on their own. When signal is lost, it uses GPS to return and land at the same spot it took off from. My friend has a couple videos of his drone doing that, once here taking video of the lake and another time along the Mississippi River. So I imagine if you wan to jam them, you also need to jam GPS signals and doing so means big problems, even for law enforcement (obviously not military though).

Military drones probably carry gyroscopes accurate enough for navigation and are able to carry out their flight plan and target via camera, heat or lidar.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.