• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What electronics have YOU fixed lately?

Well, I seem to have a love of TRC-458's, so I picked up a 2nd one. This one was a mess. Lightning grabbed this one and it was B.L.A.C.K. underneath. Someone had done some repair work on it before me, and surprisingly, the radio actually functioned when I got it.

Items that were replaced before I got it:
Power transformer
ALL transistors in the power supply circuit, including the pass regulator
Predriver transistor
Driver transistor
Final transistor
Audio IC
Voltage regulator for the channel display
Relay and socket
Some electrolytic capacitors

I was finding remnants of capacitor "fuzz" all over the inside of the radio, from when caps exploded. Also, the original relay and socket had been replaced. and were super-glued to the side of the chassis over by the final.

I once owned the TRC-458 & TRC-490 & I must say they have a very quiet receiver & they talked great as well.I sold both to a fellow at the Orlando Hamcation about 4 years ago.I just needed the room so away they went.

SIX-SHOOTER

This pic was after I had scrubbed on the underside of the chassis for close to 2 hours.
WqH06C.jpg

Did a full recap, replaced the relay and socket with OEM parts, and did some tuning and she performs just as well as my other one, with slightly more PEP output. My other radio does 17W PEP output, this one does 20W PEP.

18cNqR.jpg

Top side of the board.

MK68jr.jpg

Front of the radio.

Props to whoever took the time to go thru this radio before I did... most people would have just thrown it in a junk bin for parts with as much damage as it took from the lightning hit.

~Cheers~

also got my remote for garage door opener and replaced the 10 year old plus battery in it cleaned and lubed,, working again,,,, it had started to be intermittit and having to be real close to open,,,,

Think I fried the key chain one at work with rf it was in the cubby in my truck right above my 63ffc2 it don't work no mo.

Reactions: midnight special
Well, today, I repaired a 4 transistor Palomar 400 amplifier for a fellow that I have done work for several times.
I replaced all 4 SD1446 transistors with original ST-Micro parts.
The output combiner resistors were also toasted. Replaced those also.
Simple repair came out just fine and amplifier performing very well.

Well, I had this amplifier back on my bench over the weekend. The man said he was having to almost yell into his microphone to get the amplifier to key up while using it on SSB mode.
It sounded like an easy fix, and it was.
Replaced the keying circuit RF sensing capacitor with a new 15pf 50v disc capacitor.
Also replaced the delay capacitor as good measure.
All is well now and all it takes is a loud whisper to key the amplifier.
The man is happy again.

i had a sharp 1 amp power supply from the 70s that didnt work but was in excellent shape. i was given a 10 amp supply that fit in this enclosure (thank you mr cb in seffner fl) and was able to use the original switch and led on light,, now i have a fine supply for my mobile cbs,,,,,

Somewhat electronic related... Rebuilt a VHF/UHF Log Periodic TV antenna from the 80's. All the elements good and straight, just had to replace all the non-stainless rivets that were rusted and not making contact to the other half.

Stainless 10-24 hardware with anti-ox should last a bit. 1 cracked boom insulator repaired with stainless wire melted across the crack and some UV resistant glue. (Fingers crossed!)

Putting it up 10ft above the roof at a friends shop along with a home made copper dipole above it for FM radio.

If anything, that all will make a great lighting rod! LOL

Today I gutted and re-freshened a 24" florescent light above the kitchen sink. Ripped out the transformer and tube starter then replaced with electronic ballast and new LED tube. So far the highlight of my day..... Oh... other then getting called back to work next Monday. That did perk me up....

This is just what I can remember off the top of my head that I have repaired in the last 6 weeks.

TEXAS STAR 350HD
TEXAS STAR 250HD
100 WATT NO NAME
MAGNUM 357DX
MAGNUM 257HD
MAGNUM 257HD
EMPEROR TS5010
LA500 MOBILE AMP
SUPERSTAR 3900
GRANT XL
WASHINGTON BASE
YAESU FT101EE
YAESU FT101B
YAESU FL2100B
RM ITALY 203
COBRA 142GTL
COBRA 29 (8) OF THEM
WIRED AT LEAST 15 OR 20 MICROPHONES
RESTORED SEVERAL TURNER MICROPHONES
REPAIRED DPS600 GL 60 AMP SUPPLY
COBRA 138XLR RESTORED
LAFAYETTE HB400 RESTORE

Last edited:
This is just what I can remember off the top of my head that I have repaired in the last 6 weeks.

TEXAS STAR 350HD
TEXAS STAR 250HD
100 WATT NO NAME
MAGNUM 357DX
MAGNUM 257HD
MAGNUM 257HD
EMPEROR TS5010
LA500 MOBILE AMP
SUPERSTAR 3900
GRANT XL
WASHINGTON BASE
YAESU FT101EE
YAESU FT101B
YAESU FL2100B
RM ITALY 203
COBRA 142GTL
COBRA 29 (8) OF THEM
WIRED AT LEAST 15 OR 20 MICROPHONES
RESTORED SEVERAL TURNER MICROPHONES
REPAIRED DPS600 GL 60 AMP SUPPLY
COBRA 138XLR RESTORED
LAFAYETTE HB400 RESTORE
I have a Galaxy DX 919 that needs an RF power control anyone have one? I repaired all the issues the last so-called tech did but unfortunately the RF power control.

Reactions: Rwb
unable to do much due to lockdown i got round to fixing some psu's that broke over the years,
2 x daiwa 25-30a
1 x bnos 25-30a
1 x 10a 0-30v bench supply
1 x 0-2a 0-30v bench supply
1 x optimate battery charger

Reactions: Robb and Rwb
Just recently.... recapped and aligned an old Midland 13-893 AM/SSB 23 channel mobile. It was an Ebay special I had bought about 10 years ago, it had a switch on the side for extra channels. That radio has probably the smoothest audio of any radio I've ever owned. I'll never get rid of it.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
Reactions: Robb and Rwb

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated