1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

What electronics have YOU fixed lately?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Modifications' started by Robb, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Sr. Member

Knew an old man in Ala. that would crack the sliding glass door and kick back with a 22 Mag. and watch Jeopardy, he'd call and we'd go drag it to his barn and skin it for him. That shit got old, once cleaned 4 in two days. They loved that pecan field for some reason. He knew to call early 'cause me and my bother would be drunk by early evening. :X3:

Rwb, Shadetree Mechanic and 357magnum like this.

2. Redbeard U812

Redbeard U812 Sr. Member

Looked that up, nice. But I like that slow start Cap they sell. need to see if my Duotherm QuickCool AC has a slow start.

357magnum likes this.
  3. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

Just repaired a 29LX I bought off ebay that the protect diode was blown and some one kept trying the radio to see if it would work and blew the trace in 2 places. they had done some mods to it for swing and the solder was so cold they need to stay away from a radio. the radio works just fine now , just hate working on some thing an amateur is trying to mod. so many bad joints if the diode was not blown it would not have worked long.

4. Chevboy0167

Chevboy0167 Active Member

I replaced the on/off/volume switch in a 1996 Cobra 29 SE with a donor part from a 1995 29 LTD. Someone put a dual concentric switch from a newer unit in and the thing stuck out worse than a sore thumb! Now the grill looks streamlined again!

Blast you sonoma....LOL I have watching the bay for a parts LX for the 1 I got here that looks like open heart surgery! Funny thing is... I have another LX here that needs the power/volume switch. But that can bought for $10 from Golden Eagle Radio.

Keep up the good fight and getting them radios cheap!

357magnum likes this.
  5. sonoma

sonoma Sr. Member

Chevyboy the 29LX is getting hard to find for a parts radio now days. 2 years ago they were on ebay all the time cheap but not now days. looks like all the radios are priced high from what they use to be. some are selling used ones for about the same price you can buy a new one for.

the one I bought has echo in it and they changed the face plate to a new one that says echo on it. the radio had a mic, bracket and studs for the bracket for 45.00 shipped. about the best price I have found lately. the radio is very clean also.

#95 sonoma, May 15, 2019 at 10:31 AM
    Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 10:41 AM
  6. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

I bet the real porkchop fixed a diffrent critter this week

7. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

On the Airstream forum (AIRFORUMS) there’s a quite long thread. Informative. Chief engineer weighs in often.

It’s a standard DIY on a new rig for some guys. Especially those with twin units.

Rwb likes this.
  8. Bow

Bow Bastard Modulation Engineering

Fixed my MFJ267 dummy load/watt meter...
    Now converting it into a more usable piece of test gear for my bench with a BNC O'scope output Jack, and Power Pole connectors where the antenna switch use to be

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  9. Robb

Robb Yup

Actually have to fix a piece of radio gear this time. The Kenwood PS-30 linear power supply I use 99% of the time isn't regulating for some reason. SO I tore it down and am testing each component.

Seems now that I am fixing more electronics; more electronic items around seem to be breaking down and almost asking for their own turn of attention. So it seems - anyway. Kinda like cats - lol. Don't like throwing anything away, and I would much rather fix something than buy something new. So it seems.

Let ya know what I find after I go thru it, so I will update . . .

Shadetree Mechanic likes this.
  10. TheRealPorkchop

TheRealPorkchop Certified Sith Pimp

Yeah I guess you could say that, didn’t I?

11. Ranch55

Ranch55 Well-Known Member

Repaired a PALOMAR 400 amplifier about 2 weeks ago.
    It had 4 x SD1446 transistors, ST MICRO brand ....
    Replaced with same and changed the bias to AB from C.
    Works much better on SSB now.

Repaired a Palomar Elite 600 amplifier yesterday. It had 1 x SD1446 driving 4 X SD1446 transistors. All were ST MICRO brand.
    The amp had been overdriven, and the output combiner resistors had scorched. The owner thought he could "fix" it. He replaced the two combiner resistors with 2 - 10 ohm resistors, and installed another rectifier diode, BACKWARDS, ......
    Needless to say, that opened all 4 finals and shorted the driver.
    I fixed all that, bypassed the driver section, added some input padding, and installed 4 new ST MICRO SD1446 transistors.
    Also changed the biasing from C to AB.
    Works just fine now and sounds much better on SSB ......

Robb likes this.