• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What have you purchased lately ?

Last ham radio devices I aquired were a SignaLink SL-1+ to help get into the new PSK31 mode using my computer and a MFJ-945D tuner to help me get more out of my homemade dual band dipole antenna. Picked them both up used bidding against folks on eBay.

My last purchase at HAMCOM in Plano, TX (hamfest for those that don't know) was a
very gently used TenTec Jupiter. I have always heard that the TenTec rigs were good.
But, I didn't know they were THIS good! First time I hooked it up, I thought I had the antenna tuner switched to the dummy load, it was so quiet.
Tuned around and signals just jumped out at you. It is one of the quietest transceivers I have used. The closest thing to it, is my Flex 1500 followed by my Kenwood TS-830s. All very quiet and yet very sensitive.
The Jupiter may end up being a keeper. Or I may do some trading. But, I think I will wait a while before trading or selling it!
trucker

My last purchase at HAMCOM in Plano, TX (hamfest for those that don't know) was a
very gently used TenTec Jupiter. I have always heard that the TenTec rigs were good.
But, I didn't know they were THIS good! First time I hooked it up, I thought I had the antenna tuner switched to the dummy load, it was so quiet.
Tuned around and signals just jumped out at you. It is one of the quietest transceivers I have used. The closest thing to it, is my Flex 1500 followed by my Kenwood TS-830s. All very quiet and yet very sensitive.
The Jupiter may end up being a keeper. Or I may do some trading. But, I think I will wait a while before trading or selling it!
trucker

How much was the Jupiter?

After the freaky wind storm we had I finally bought a generator, 5 days into being without power, and yes it came back on before I got home that day.

Radio wise: FT-7900, Bearcat 980 and a used Viroplex bug (the old original
type)

How much was the Jupiter?
Seller wanted $850 for it. We haggled for a while and he took $775.
He seemed happy about it and I certainly was. I've seen them go for
a bit less than that, but, usually they sell for $800-$900. And a lot of
those don't have the built-in Auto Tuner. Mine does, along with the
latest updates. It will decode CW on screen, and you can plug a PS2
Keyboard into the radio and send CW that way if you want.
The Auto Tuner is built by LDG and will match a much wider range than
a lot of built-in auto tuners. (more like LDG's line of external tuners do)
I like the radio quite a bit. But, I have the bug for either a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V, or an ICOM 775DSP.
Guess, I'm just a buying/trading kind of guy!!!
trucker

Seller wanted $850 for it. We haggled for a while and he took $775.
He seemed happy about it and I certainly was. I've seen them go for
a bit less than that, but, usually they sell for $800-$900. And a lot of
those don't have the built-in Auto Tuner. Mine does, along with the
latest updates. It will decode CW on screen, and you can plug a PS2
Keyboard into the radio and send CW that way if you want.
The Auto Tuner is built by LDG and will match a much wider range than
a lot of built-in auto tuners. (more like LDG's line of external tuners do)
I like the radio quite a bit. But, I have the bug for either a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V, or an ICOM 775DSP.
Guess, I'm just a buying/trading kind of guy!!!
trucker

Very cool and a + on the internal tuner being ldg ! I like how they can tune almost any length of wire unlike internal tuners on other radios iv had some that wont tune a 11m tenna to 10m.

Have pictures of the tentec ? Atleast of the cw decoder doing its thing ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.