• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What if ?

yama junk owna

Apr 5, 2005
Here's one for uin's to ponder on, what if someone brought back one of the old names in radio, lets say Halicrafters for example, and started a small factory here in the states somewhere. They start out with two radios, say a FCC legal 40 channel am, and a second SSB model, good radios with all the features that we want, ( Freq counter, Dsp,swr protection, etc.) remember these have to stay legal because they are being built here in the states and Uncle will not let them by with the same junk the Chinese get by with. Ok here the biggy they are going to cost lets say 300.00 for the am and 350.00 for the ssb, now remember these are really good built radios rugged and reliable, with great audio and made here in the states. The next biggy would you buy them or would everyone still go with the export junk ?

I think people would buy them if they were competitive in price to other radios. People would still try to modify them for extra channels, more power,etc. But the key is price...

be like everyone else...build it in China.

No sense in throwing money into a hole.

And how would you get the name anyway?

Ummm, this is what Uniden was doing for years and they lost money (although they did build overseas).

I know of a company who moved their PCB assembly overseas because it was CHEAP to do so. They were designed here however.

I've had conversations with Glenn over at Browning Labs Inc and told him that if a Mark V was designed, hand built, and sold, people would buy them at a cost of $1,000.00 with no problems! He said the FCC testing and restrictions would make it almost impossible.

On top of all of this, CBers are STUPID and will continue to buy crap with echo, roger beeps, and talkback. The will pay top $$$ for radios that drift, distort, and have lousy receivers. They will want extra channels and continue to trash the airwaves. They will kiss Peng's ass and ask for more!

I'd like to say that its all about the cost of the radio, but I still see people pay $400.00 for junk! I can only assume its about the FEATURES over the quality.

Just ask Uniden.....

Master Chief said:
On top of all of this, CBers are STUPID and will continue to buy crap with echo, roger beeps, and talkback. The will pay top $$$ for radios that drift, distort, and have lousy receivers. They will want extra channels and continue to trash the airwaves. They will kiss Peng's ass and ask for more!

I'd like to say that its all about the cost of the radio, but I still see people pay $400.00 for junk! I can only assume its about the FEATURES over the quality.

Just ask Uniden.....

I have to agree.Eye candy is what sells.How many times have we heard someone ooohh and aaaahh over cool blue lighting on a radio or over the fact it has a really nice talkback feature? Yep,eye candy is what sells radios not quality specs.What do you think the average person looks at when he buys a CB or export radio,the actual factory specs or the bells and whistles? Given quality over appearance I will settle for,..........let's just say I'll take a Kenwood TS-520S over a most of the new whizz-bang, DC-daylight-has-a-hundred-knobs-and-buttons rigs anyday. ;)

QRN said:
Master Chief said:

Just ask Uniden.....

I have to agree.Eye candy is what sells.How many times have we heard someone ooohh and aaaahh over cool blue lighting on a radio or over the fact it has a really nice talkback feature? Yep,eye candy is what sells radios not quality specs.What do you think the average person looks at when he buys a CB or export radio,the actual factory specs or the bells and whistles? Given quality over appearance I will settle for,..........let's just say I'll take a Kenwood TS-520S over a most of the new whizz-bang, DC-daylight-has-a-hundred-knobs-and-buttons rigs anyday. ;)

In the olden days, you could look forward to a yearly CB version of consumer reports, which listed manufacturer specs, along with the test results their labs came up with, and then rated them. Too bad there isn't something like that or for that matter a CB version of "E-HAM" reviews. It would open a lot of eyes. I would not hesitate to pay big bucks for a new version "Stoner Pro 40", that was custom made, or at least, made somewhere other than CHINA.

Well indeed...

Too many unfortunatly do not buy TRUE Quality..

However those who Understand True Quality..
all started at one time or another not knowing..
over time those who didn't know learned the hard way..

let us Hope..
Those who would otherwise be Dupped..
1st read this site and hear what others have to say..

Then maybe...
they will benifit and get true Quality..
without having to learn the hard way..

but i never knock newbies..
for at one time...we all were newbies...lol..

Personally...
I perfer the Icom radios...
IC-7000 is pretty sweet..

although my 706 MKIIG is also really nice radio...
it is now religated to a back up...lol

Later

KingCobra_CDX882 said:
Well indeed...

Too many unfortunatly do not buy TRUE Quality..

Personally...
I perfer the Icom radios...
IC-7000 is pretty sweet..

although my 706 MKIIG is also really nice radio...
it is now religated to a back up...lol

Later

I'm an Icon fan, in the likes of the IC-751a, IC-738. But I guess I swing more towards Yaesu (with the exception of the FT-100). And while I use the ham rig to tune around 11m or thereabouts on receive, I talk on my older 11m rigs like the Stoner Pro40, Cobra 2000, and EFJ 4740.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.