• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is this mod? Stryker 955

The funny thing is, if you're going to reshape the radios audio stages for a Hi-Fi passband, you shouldn't need a ton of outboard audio equipment to drive the rig. Conversely, if you use external processing and equalization, you don't need a radio that has very many modifications whatsoever, to transmit that Hi-Fi on AM.

To elaborate further, when the AF stages of the rig have been properly modified to match the impedance and frequency response of a decent microphone, you shouldn't need to do that all over again, with outside equipment. You can literally plug a D-104 (modified with a high impedance FET pre-amp) right into the front of the radio and get all the useful Hi-fi that is achievable.

The flip side to this, is not changing any parts inside the radio and just injecting quality audio directly into the series pass modulator stage. You just have to amplify the line level output, to easily reach 12 volts of peak to peak audio without flat topping. Line level is not enough to drive the series pass modulator at 3 volts peak to peak. This stage has no voltage gain and can only provide current gain.

You guys sure do talk a bunch of smack. D-Rail builds some of the best radios out there! Super loud and proud unlike some of you stuffy old ham guys who REFUSE to accept anything out of your comfort zone. You can bash this radio all you want, however it will out talk anything you have guaranteed! Tune into channel 6 one day when the skip is going and you'll hear how D-Rail sounds. People pay nearly a thousand bucks for some of his radios for a reason. You can either build bad ass radios like D-Rail or you can talk smack on your keyboard. BBI wouldn't have purchased one unless it was bad ass. He uses his D-Rail Stryker 955 to show high average watts when compared to his other radios. Not everyone who mods CB radios lives in a trailer or in a meth lab. Some of you are just idiots.
Easy Rich. Some of us idiots know you can go down to your local pawn shop, buy a Shure microphone, pre-amp with an EQ and make one connection inside the radio, to provide the same bandwidth others pay a grand for. The stuffy hams can buy one of many SDR rigs and (unfortunately in some cases) get more bandwidth than a D-Rail.

Keep in mind this thread started because someone thought it was rocket science to install an external AMC control and rename it the "Peak Power Control"... Most CB operators only forgot about this AMC circuit because they were too busy figuring out how to bypass them, rather than modify them for more useful function.

You guys sure do talk a bunch of smack. D-Rail builds some of the best radios out there! Super loud and proud unlike some of you stuffy old ham guys who REFUSE to accept anything out of your comfort zone. You can bash this radio all you want, however it will out talk anything you have guaranteed! Tune into channel 6 one day when the skip is going and you'll hear how D-Rail sounds. People pay nearly a thousand bucks for some of his radios for a reason. You can either build bad ass radios like D-Rail or you can talk smack on your keyboard. BBI wouldn't have purchased one unless it was bad ass. He uses his D-Rail Stryker 955 to show high average watts when compared to his other radios. Not everyone who mods CB radios lives in a trailer or in a meth lab. Some of you are just idiots.
EE71545C-F315-412F-91BB-89510822671C.jpeg

I have a customer in California that did in fact pay big money for one of Mr. D-Rail’s Stryker 955’s. He’s never been more disappointed with a radio, his words, not mine.

There’s a local loudmouth here with a D-Rail radio, paid big money for it too. I will agree that he’s loud but all that loud is distortion and he sounds like a microwaved turd soaked in Hunts ketchup. I’ll pass.

I happen to like Mr. Miller and have no negative comment about him though I have heard him say a few things that I don’t agree with. A few.

I’ll take your Pepsi challenge on pitting any radio I have against a polished ketchup turd, not knocking Rail at all but some people pay all that money for two reasons.

1. They don’t know any better which leads into a fool and his money are soon parted.

2. They drank the CB koolaid and believed the hype.

That's the Fauk Up a good radio mod. Does anyone have any personal experience of how long this stuff lives after it leaves the meth lab...I mean CB shop? 130 watts is insane. I turned mine down from factory spec to clean it up. These guys obviously have superior skillz.
Mine is almost 6 years old 955 loaded wide band rec. And trans. Studio mic. Works like a champ and it has never gotten hot even modded.drives a 2x8 .

Reactions: Marc@Radio59
Ive had my drail on 955 for almost 2 years and i have no complaints. Yeah the cost was a little much but in the grand scheme of things i paid pennies on the dollar. The only douchebag who complains is hard drive and my locals wish they sounded as good.
Thats my personal experience, yours may differ...

The funny thing is, if you're going to reshape the radios audio stages for a Hi-Fi passband, you shouldn't need a ton of outboard audio equipment to drive the rig. Conversely, if you use external processing and equalization, you don't need a radio that has very many modifications whatsoever, to transmit that Hi-Fi on AM.

To elaborate further, when the AF stages of the rig have been properly modified to match the impedance and frequency response of a decent microphone, you shouldn't need to do that all over again, with outside equipment. You can literally plug a D-104 (modified with a high impedance FET pre-amp) right into the front of the radio and get all the useful Hi-fi that is achievable.

The flip side to this, is not changing any parts inside the radio and just injecting quality audio directly into the series pass modulator stage. You just have to amplify the line level output, to easily reach 12 volts of peak to peak audio without flat topping. Line level is not enough to drive the series pass modulator at 3 volts peak to peak. This stage has no voltage gain and can only provide current gain.
Hello Shockwave, You mentioned a modified D 104 can be modified with a high impedance pre-amp. Do you have a website for that modified microphone? Thank you WR0546

Hello Shockwave. Are you currently doing these mods with the new version 2 955HPC for wideband audio? Thank you

Ive had my drail on 955 for almost 2 years and i have no complaints. Yeah the cost was a little much but in the grand scheme of things i paid pennies on the dollar. The only douchebag who complains is hard drive and my locals wish they sounded as good.
Thats my personal experience, yours may differ...
My previous post was in no way meant to slam Drail... all I can do is repeat what I was told and we all know that you can satisfy some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time.

Yes, the little Jawa talks smack about Drail all the time but that's all he can do. He can't do anything else that D can do, he can't repair and he most certainly doesn't have the people skills to run an open shop like D does. Even the worst shop/tech in the nation is better than Hardly Driven in if nothing else but people skills.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.