• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

BBI amps, anyone heard of them?

I know my local pal uses his Yaseu FT101E to drive the FL2100b. 100 watts in gets about 800-1kw watts pep. They say it's a 1200 watt amp. I know he drives his with 100 watts on SSB using a yaseu FT101E. Hope this helps some. I am sure others will have much more info than I!! But I will put my 1 pennies worth at least LOL. Here is the data page from rigpix.com.
Shows 30-100 watts input. So most any dual final or HF radio will drive it. How much power out I suppose will have to due with input power and also how good the tubes are. Again, hope some of this helps. Good amp from what I have seen my local pal put his through!! But I could be wrong. Have a good one Sonar. Hope all is well!!

Attachments

• IMG_6235.PNG
    IMG_6235.PNG
    250.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6236.PNG
    IMG_6236.PNG
    324.3 KB · Views: 7
FL2100,, 1200 watt "input",, output should be around 600 watts on the lower bands and little less on higher bands depending on watt meter used.

Has marginal bias circuit in it but can be upgraded.

The Heathkit SB200 is a much better amp if you looking for a table top amp using 572B tubes.

Also 572B tubes from china have had a lot of quality issues, but I have heard that they have improved that problem and RF parts is now stocking/selling the tube again.

I thought those numbers were a bit inflated. And lord knows my local pal was overdriving his. I saw 750 watts PEP most of time on 27.385lsb. Using a Yaseu FT101E and a D104 mic. It had loud audio. 1kw was the most I ever saw. And I think that was due to a VSWR issue. Anyhow. You know WAY MORE about these amps than I do. That is a fact!! I knew someone would come along and get me straightened out!! Have a good one man. And stay warm today. It's cold this morning!! I can only imagine what it's like up your way! Others laugh at us. But when the wind is blowing like it had been and you have a wet cold, it just chills you to the darn bone!!! Anyways. Again, stay warm and have a good one!!

Reactions: wavrider
FL2100,, 1200 watt "input",, output should be around 600 watts on the lower bands and little less on higher bands depending on watt meter used.

The Heathkit SB200 is a much better amp if you looking for a table top amp using 572B tubes.

Also 572B tubes from china have had a lot of quality issues, but I have heard that they have improved that problem and RF parts is now stocking/selling the tube again.

Definitely around 600 watts out to be within spec. Should only take about 60 watts drive for that on the lower bands and maybe 80 watts on 10m. 100 watts is toooooo much drive for a decent spectral output regardless of what the 11m good buddies say it sounds like.

My Yaesu FL-2100B amp peaks out at about 400+ watts on the 27 MHz band in AM mode driven by a Yaesu FT-101EE (at 7-10 watts DK or 35-40 watts PEP AM) DK on the amp in AM mode is around 80-90 watts. This is with the tired original Cetron 572B tubes and the ALC wire disconnected between the radio and the amp. For SSB mode, I reconnect the ALC wire.

Suggestion: Run a 4" computer cooling fan on top of the amp directly above the tubes to help the undersized stock cooling fan keep those high temps under control.

Those 572 tubes seem to be utilized in many amps of that era. I'm sure RF parts sells loads of them. I've read they're very reliable. Those 2100's must've been very popular. There's always several available on eBay. I don't recall which company manufactured a quad 572 amp but I do recall seeing one or two. I guess that would do closer to legal limit. Sweep tubes suck for RF use. I know that some "ham amps" of the 60's 70's actually used sweep tubes. Swan and a few others I don't recall. I don't think that lasted to long. I guess those companies couldn't resist the cost of a $2 tube. Even if that tube wasn't created with RF amplification in mind.

Those 572 tubes seem to be utilized in many amps of that era. I'm sure RF parts sells loads of them. I've read they're very reliable. Those 2100's must've been very popular. There's always several available on eBay. I don't recall which company manufactured a quad 572 amp but I do recall seeing one or two. I guess that would do closer to legal limit. Sweep tubes suck for RF use. I know that some "ham amps" of the 60's 70's actually used sweep tubes. Swan and a few others I don't recall. I don't think that lasted to long. I guess those companies couldn't resist the cost of a $2 tube. Even if that tube wasn't created with RF amplification in mind.

The Ameritron AL-572 runs a quad of 572B's and is rated at 1300 watts output. The very early Ameritron AL-84 used four 6MJ6 sweep tubes. It was rated at only 400 watts CW/600 watts SSB but that was pushing it.

Reactions: Sonar
The Ameritron AL-572 runs a quad of 572B's and is rated at 1300 watts output. The very early Ameritron AL-84 used four 6MJ6 sweep tubes. It was rated at only 400 watts CW/600 watts SSB but that was pushing it.
Ah yes. The Ameritron AL. That's the amp I had on mind. I didn't know the AL- 84 used the 6jm6. I do know there highly coveted. I'm assuming Ameritron sold many. They don't come up on eBay offen. And when they do they sell quickly if it's la for sale. It's probably because those who own them don't want to part with them. 73.

The only reason I would own an AL-84 is if I had money to burn and had a collection. :whistle: NOT a fan of sweep tubes in an amp regardless of the manufacturer. The AL-572 does good for cheap(er) and there is no difference on-air between 1300 and 1500 watts.The tubes are reasonably cheap especially in comparison to a pair of 3-500Z's for virtually the same power output.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Many of the amps from even the 70's had (4)- 6MJ6 tubes
(6LQ6/6ME6's) were cheaper replacements though reduced plate dissipation by 25-30%)
DENTRON GLA 1000...then the GLA 1000B which had a tuned input circuit
Lots of info around on conversions to the single Russian GI7BT tube
SWAN 1200X
GALAXY (WORLD RADIO LABS)...had a version just don't recall the model #
AMP SUPPLY LA-1000 and the LA-1000NT (NT-No Tune version)
AMERITRON AL-84...already mentioned
KNIGHT KIT had a (2) tube version for 6/10 meters
I know there were a few others for Amateur usage just don't recall at the moment.

572B's had similar usage
DENTRON CLIPPERTON L...(4) tube version 1300w
AMERITRON AL-572...still in production
AMERITRON AL-811HD...used 4 but at reduced voltage (700w out)
HUNTER...BANDIT
2 tubes versions
HEATHKIT SB-200
YAESU 2100B

The interesting items on 572B's is they are a drop in replacement for the 811A tubes.
Though in 811A amplifiers they do not produce additional output(maybe a smidgen) but they have a much stouter tube design, thus the constant monitoring of the 811A grid current (drive level) can be slightly reduced.

OK just a little more info...Sure the're is much I omitted...( more like forgotten)
All the Best
Gary

Reactions: wavrider
The only reason I would own an AL-84 is if I had money to burn and had a collection. :whistle: NOT a fan of sweep tubes in an amp regardless of the manufacturer. The AL-572 does good for cheap(er) and there is no difference on-air between 1300 and 1500 watts.The tubes are reasonably cheap especially in comparison to a pair of 3-500Z's for virtually the same power output.
I totally agree. I've only owned sweep tube amps. I'm a chicken bander and like most use what was available to me. Unfortunately that was CB radio amplifiers. I've never had complaints of causing splatter or tvi etc etc. I do believe clean in clean out. As far as spectrally clean I absolutely understand that they are the dirtiest amplifiers on this planet. They were built to make the meter swing and nothing more. I don't think I would complain or dislike these amplifiers as much as I do if the tubes where $10 each. With that being said the next station that I set up will be an HF transceiver with and amplifier that not only has tubes that are specifically for amplification but has filtering and all the other amenities that modern technology has to offer. 350's, 811's, 250b etc etc. The amp will not only have true amplification tubes but be a "real" amplifier. I'm through with CB radio amplifiers. I was concidering a transistor/pill amp but I'm over that and know the direction I'm going. Theses amps and dated cb's are money pits. I do know that modern quality built equipment like Yaesu, icom, Kenwood etc etc aren't free from breaking down but a transceiver that's 3 years old with modern components is a totally different monster tban a 30 year old CB radio. Not to mention they sound light years ahead of your high end black box import or in my case a Madison. I'd like to sell what I have to finance my setup but God knows I've tried. I just can't let go. There's plenty of great equipment for sale on ham radio forums. And the money saved in shipping/repairs will eventually pay for my new setup. I hope newbies follow the advice given on this site and go with real trancivers and amps. The days of d&a, Palomar, pride, uniden, Panasonic and tens of other CB radios that once ruled the airwaves is over. I will eventually use my oldies for memory lane moments. 73

2SC2879:
http://pdf.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheet/toshiba/1468.pdf

:rolleyes:

odd order harmonic line section oversampling and diode saturation of the detector circuit in the meter is sum added to the real power at the fundamental operating frequency seen by the measuring device. that is why the current draw is so high, a lot of current (and more voltage) is required to generate all of that harmonic content at 3rd, 5th and 7th orders. (requiring the purchase of more and larger power supplies, alternators, etc.)

a properly grounded low pass filter at the output rated for the number of devices used multiplied by 100-125W per device in the case of 2SC2879's will determine the power rating of the lpf. as the filter rolls off all energy above 30 mhz, watch all of the harmonic power disappear at the output of the lp filter.

in the case of 27 mhz. for instance, you don't want anyone seeing a spectrum analyzer at frequencies around 81, 135 and 190 mhz.. that would only serve to destroy the illusion and reveal the deception. it is easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled.

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/ts-sweet-16-or-ts-viking-3200.54555/#post-195022

https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/bird43-myths.35532/
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/bird43-myths.35532/#post-152280
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/amplifier.32628/#post-132470

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-349463A1.pdf

Last edited:
Perfect! You got to love it! Ha! ha! ha!
"it is easier to fool someone than it is to convince someone that they've been fooled."

You enjoy how you spend yours, and I’ll enjoy how I spend mine.

Someone said they can hear your dog snoring it gets quiet on 11-Meter. As no ones radio is POSSIBLY that good, leave the rest of us to our platinum-washed training wheels. Chicken lights. LED light show. Chrome radio knobs

Thank you

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated