• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is Your Favorite Amateur Radio?

If you want an all-in-one box radio, I like my Icom IC-706MKIIG better than my Yaesu FT-847.
The 706 was a great buy when it was around $700 but the latest price of $900 is bit steep.

The down side to the IC-706 for me was the lack of separate antenna jacks for all the bands, which the FT-847 does have
(HF/6m/2m/70cm) . If you are running the rig as a base rig, separate antenna outputs are nice.

You could put together a nice shack with older all-mode rigs for each band, and still spend less than a new IC-7000.
I have all mode rigs for 6m and 2m that cost me under $500 for both, and have an FM 220 rig that I got for $125. You can find an all mode HF rig for $300-500, and then get a 70cm rig for cheap, and you have still spent less than the price of an IC-7000.

QRN said:
My very thoughts Jerry.I had my Icom 735 to 175 watts just for grins but set it back to 100 and left it there.Most ham rigs will often do twice what they do but in the name of longevity and clean signal don't. :roll:

Unfortunately, the only consideration for many is ONE thing. Watts, watts, watts, watts, watts, watts................ :D My 735 was doin' 125, and I left it alone. I wish I had kept that radio as I now have a "need" for something else to perform an additional ham task. Nice rig! Even still had the little door on the front when so many of them are missing! 8)

CWM

hey All...

I have not checked the output of my IC-7000 (have only used it i think 5 times in the 3 weeks i have had it..lol)..

but.....my 706 MKIIG on SSB does 135 and did no modes to power...(had only the frequency mod done by gene at kji electronics....i didnt want the power or modulation messed with or turned up)

Later

Only had experience with a few HF rigs.

The Yaesu 757GX is a nice rig. Jim CDX-44 has one that has a neat accessory called a QSY'er. Its like a phone keypad and plugs into the CAT interface. Just punch in the freq and hit the enter key and your'e there.

Kenwood TS-430S- nice rig, easy to use and nice features.
Had to let it go to get my next rig.

TS-50S using this one on base right now and really like it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.