• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is Your Favorite Tube Type Amp.?

what about the alpha or emtron linears
they both have killer linears
although a bit pricy..

and IC-PW1 - HF / 6 Meter All Band 1 kW Linear Amplifier
lots of Great filtering on it
again very pricy

karo said:
Toll_Free said:
paws264 said:
Master Chief said:
CDX-007 said:
homebrew 2-stage 4-400C driving 4 GS-35B at 4400v / 5a (linear supply not voltage doubler) 65w input, 1500w-plus output
A single GS-35B will do 2K easy. Four should net you well over 8 to 10K, especially at 5 amps!

MC, after speaking with Tony over at GS35b.com, I went with seperate filament winding and bias circuit with metering for each tube.

dualtubebiasandfil.jpg

The only problem with that circuit is it doesn't do anything other than.... Well, cost you more money.

Get a fils xformer with a low enough secondary resistance, and you don't have the V drop. Also, make sure it is potted so it can handle the V swing coming from your 4-400 driver.

Splitting up your tube fils v can cause more problems since it didn't provide any type of varying for the filament voltage per tube. If any of the transformers have a different secondary resistance, your tubes won't be amplifying the same. Your box will be a IMD generator, and you will see all kinds of neat things on a scope.

Another thing, I saw nothing in that schematic that allowed for individual bias setting. Since your voltage on the filaments is all different now, your going to need to individually set each tube for bias current now.

Hope it works well, but it's some of the shittiest RF design I've seen.

--Toll_Free

I know it's not the prettiest thing but I took pride in the building and designing of it.lol

pcboard00411od4.jpg

BRING BACK MACK!

paws264 said:
CDX-007 said:
yeah, what HE said... :oops: ... right?

Yeah, WHAT I SAID!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Nice mis-quote! ;) :LOL:

I have to agree with KingCobra_CDX882; that IC-PW1 is about the only Solid State amp that really blows my skirt up. ...thay thella

Now wait just a Goldang minute! - Just because I'm from Cali doesn't mean...

Anyway, I also like the Quadra but Yaesu just seems to drop the ball, right at the goal line, far too often;
- They come out with something really cool looking, a great idea & design, then at some point in production decide to save $.03 per unit and cut some seemingly insignificant corner the designer put in there, obviously for NO REASON and you end up with a POOF! smoking box needing to go back to the factory for the 'update'.
They would be my favorite company if only...

But I could entertain the thought of giving up my bigger ceramic & vaccuum-state amps for a IC-PW1 if one happened along in a little red wagon.

- and that 4-400C / 4 @ GS-35B amp isn't mine by the way, it's a local 'Doc Brown' hams' who just HAS TO BE HEARD, ...and I want it! Actually I'd be quite content with 1/3 of it.

He's offered to assist in the production of a similar item...Where do I sign? :twisted:

He also engineered at Eimac several years ago, and is a part time MOTOROLA trouble shooter whom they call when there's a an impossible mystery needing to be found and redesigned.

Oh, and He also built a 1 @ 4-400C -> 4 @ 4-400As -> 12 4-400As amp for 20m/40m/80m/160m...
...when he was 15 back in the early 60's.

Nice to have an Elmer like that, don't you think? 8)

CDX-007 said:
Nice to have an Elmer like that, don't you think? 8)

I've been in this radio thing over 30 years and I am still not qualified to carry the tool bag of the guy (now SK, do a google search for W8ERG) who Elmered me; he ran hi-power mobile (kilowatt plus in the 60's-70's) at 25 wpm with the CW key strapped to his leg.

He built a lot of transmitting equipment when he had a manufacturing company, there's a lot of his stuff still running in this area and, anytime it goes down, I get the phone call.

He used to call me "Kid" (I was 35 at the time). Now, I have a young associate (RockinRedsRooster) with a real interest in radio so, I'm gonna advise him as he builds his first tube amplifier.

Never would consider myself as an "Elmer".

(edited to add "first tube amp" :) )

paws264 said:
CDX-007 said:
yeah, what HE said... :oops: ... right?

Yeah, WHAT I SAID!!!!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

(Edited to add) In the immortal words of General Zod, "Now, go poof"!

:oops: I really did not mean to "flame" or bash my long-time associate Toll_Free he just looked like fresh meat at that moment.

My "bad" :oops: !!

rockinredsrooster said:
PAW'S,,,,So your callin me an ELMER,,,,,,,HA HA!!

Kinda the other way around, YOU are the interested young fellow ("Elmer-ee") while I am the old fart ("Elmer" or "Doc Kuhn".).

ROOSTER'S TUBE AMP

DSCN1332.jpg

DSCN1332.jpg

Those 811As or 572Bs? - Sorry, I'm just not that skilled at recognizing them thar teeny-weenie tubers.
Why not just one 3-500Z? - Or even a pair of 4-400A /Cs? (I hear the 'C's drive a bit easier).

I hope those will be mounted vertically, looks like they prolly will be.

They are 572B's and, the first concern (when I saw the pic) was also whether or not they were mounted vertically but, he's ahead of the game, (he reads alot) the tubes are mounted properly.

Why the 572B's? He has owned an SB-200 (which, he completely restored) and feels at ease with the tube. He has less money in the match set of 572B's, ceramic sockets, chassis and, filament transformer than the price of a new 500-Z tube. Except for the new tubes, nearly all parts came out of the recycling bin.

This is just step one: He will build this one, use it to key on "Billy-Badass" on the home channel and then sell the amp to him.

He will use the procedes from the sale to Billy-Badass to finance his next project which is probabley going to be a single GS-35B or 2 of the 500-Z tubes.

paws264 said:
They are 572B's and, the first concern (when I saw the pic) was also whether or not they were mounted vertically but, he's ahead of the game, (he reads alot) the tubes are mounted properly.

Why the 572B's? He has owned an SB-200 (which, he completely restored) and feels at ease with the tube. He has less money in the match set of 572B's, ceramic sockets, chassis and, filament transformer than the price of a new 500-Z tube. Except for the new tubes, nearly all parts came out of the recycling bin.

This is just step one: He will build this one, use it to key on "Billy-Badass" on the home channel and then sell the amp to him.

He will use the procedes from the sale to Billy-Badass to finance his next project which is probabley going to be a single GS-35B or 2 of the 500-Z tubes.

Sounds like a good plan :LOL:

paws264 said:

thats one way to do it on a budget i guess....LMAO....

looks like the "billy badass" will end up with a decent amp.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.