• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What kind of smart phone?

What kind of smartphone do you have?

• iPhone

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Blackberry

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Windows Mobile OS

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Android OS

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Palm OS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I do not use a smartphone

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Other, Please List Below

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters
I don't have use for a smart phone either. I use a Motorola KRZR Pay as You Go phone and it does what I need. Make calls and voicemail and I am good to go. I have sent 2 text messages in my life. I laugh at people the think that they need to be that connected all the time. Slow down people, you only have 1 life, enjoy it. Cheers.

All I want is a phone that makes and receives phone calls. I have sent about a dozen text messages in my life and can't be bothered to spend the time texting. I would rather speak to the person directly. I have used the camera feature a little bit however but I have a Canon Rebel XSi for taking real pictures. I get along fine with my LG Wine series phone.

I know. I have heard you talk about your cell phone use in another thread. I was just picking at your comment about being smart.
I used to be the same way, all I wanted was a phone that would make and receive calls.
I find that at 53, I have so many things going on that having the Droid X actually makes life easier.
I use a Blackberry at work and the Droid X at home.
I also get worse with age in so much that I don't like to be interrupted by phone calls and would rather receive e-mails and text messages that I can respond to when it is convenient or I feel like it.
Friends, business associates and family don't call me on the phone unless there is a real emergency.
I enjoy new technology as long as it works for me but I will not be a slave to it.
Different strokes for different folks.:D

I know. I have heard you talk about your cell phone use in another thread. I was just picking at your comment about being smart.
I used to be the same way, all I wanted was a phone that would make and receive calls.
I find that at 53, I have so many things going on that having the Droid X actually makes life easier.
I use a Blackberry at work and the Droid X at home.
I also get worse with age in so much that I don't like to be interrupted by phone calls and would rather receive e-mails and text messages that I can respond to when it is convenient or I feel like it.
Friends, business associates and family don't call me on the phone unless there is a real emergency.
I enjoy new technology as long as it works for me but I will not be a slave to it.
Different strokes for different folks.:D

My cell phone has a voicemail account as well. My phone is almost never used and really is a waste of money to be truthful but with two kids that are now old enough to be left alone for a few hours at a time I would not be without it. At work there are some people that text all the time. Company policy used to be that the use of cell phones on the plant floor was prohibited but at least you could possess them. Now, thanks to the damn idiots that text from one machine they are on over to the next machine their buddy is on,literally only 40-50 feet away, we have just been told the presence of a cell phone anywhere on the plant floor except the break room is not allowed. Another reason for that was that our manufacturing process is tightly controled and no photos are permitted anywhere in the plant but some idiot posted pictures of the machines on his Facebook page. He was fired and now the rest of us have to pay for his/their stupidity. What makes people think they are so important that they need to be in contact with someone every waking hour of every day and who really gives a shit if someone feels the need to update their Facebook page from work? If the phone is used for business then I can see using it for email but the whole idea of texting is lost on me. I get better response time and faster communications via voice.

My cell phone has a voicemail account as well. My phone is almost never used and really is a waste of money to be truthful but with two kids that are now old enough to be left alone for a few hours at a time I would not be without it. At work there are some people that text all the time. Company policy used to be that the use of cell phones on the plant floor was prohibited but at least you could possess them. Now, thanks to the damn idiots that text from one machine they are on over to the next machine their buddy is on,literally only 40-50 feet away, we have just been told the presence of a cell phone anywhere on the plant floor except the break room is not allowed. Another reason for that was that our manufacturing process is tightly controled and no photos are permitted anywhere in the plant but some idiot posted pictures of the machines on his Facebook page. He was fired and now the rest of us have to pay for his/their stupidity. What makes people think they are so important that they need to be in contact with someone every waking hour of every day and who really gives a shit if someone feels the need to update their Facebook page from work? If the phone is used for business then I can see using it for email but the whole idea of texting is lost on me. I get better response time and faster communications via voice.

I know what you mean. personal phones are not allowed in our plant period,due to proprietary processes.
If you bring your phone in, you will not get back out with it through the Security scan. (We utilize airport style full body scanners). If your phone is confiscated it will not be released to you until it has been searched for any photos and company policy is we can hold it up to 3 business days before we return it to you. (not 72 hours, 3 business days. get it confiscated on the way out on a Friday and the return clock does not start until 8:00 A.M on Monday)
You would be amazed at some of the pictures people carry around on their phone. (I have to work with Security since we maintain all of their systems for them).
Some people never claim their phone after it is confiscated, we hold them 90 days then wipe them and donate them to charity.
I have seen some high dollar phones that were never claimed.

Some people never claim their phone after it is confiscated, we hold them 90 days then wipe them and donate them to charity.
I have seen some high dollar phones that were never claimed.

I am sure that is because they claim the phone as lost or stolen and get a brand new one CHEAP.

I never did vote due to a personal thing with anonymous polls but I have an Alcatel something or other, I'd have to go OTHER if I was to vote.

You can run droid on a touch pro?

Wish I was clever enough to do stuff like that. If I tried I'd probably end up bricking it. Mind you, the main reason I got a WM phone was to run APRSISCE which is streets ahead of the APRS app for droid, so I'm told.

Some of it depends on your service provider. I think one of the better websites is alltouchpro.com?? then there is the xdadevelopers site. I would be more likely to try some of the hacks if there was a mobile version of norton antivirus. My touch pro 2 didn't like APRSCE, it kept killing the program for one reason or another.

Recently traded my HTC Touch for the new 4G Evo (hardly ever use 4G though), so I voted Android.

I used to be in the "I just need a phone to be a phone," camp, but ended up in the phone as a communication device. I find communicating via text to be more efficient then a call most of the time. I'm in meetings most of the day and usually can't answer the phone anyway.

I also use email and calendar functions heavily for work. I much prefer to carry around my phone than my laptop (unless I need the laptop for a presentation or some other reason).

There are so many useful apps available for these phones it is amazing.

I don't disagree that a real camera is better, but when you consider what a smart phone can do, it is a misnomer to even call it a phone. It can email, surf the net, is a good gps, a decent camera (mine is 8MP, though the lens is small), a flashlight, a voice recorder, can photograph and transcribe a business card, functions as a two-way radio over the net (TiKL), oh, and I have Echolink on it too. All this is something thinner than my wallet that will fit in my shirt pocket.

I'm sold....

mcp

LG Ally droid OS. We use Text and E mail and voice all day long at work....you almost need a pocket laptop.
No one where I work would be stupid enough to take pictures @ work and post them on the web.

The worst thing about the Droid OS is it sucks the life out of battery's.

Jeff

The worst thing about the Droid OS is it sucks the life out of battery's.

Jeff

Agreed! I can just get through the day with all the radios on (bluetooth, wifi, gps, and phone...I never use the FM radio so I guess that one is off).

I I remember to shut of BT and GPS when I'm at work, I can usually go two days. That's without much phone use though....just text and email.

I don't even want a dumb phone, I want a stupid phone. All the features are just an excuse for the provider to make the bill equal to the rent/mortgage payment. All I need is to make and receive calls. Anything else is an annoyance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.