• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What large ground mounted vertical monpole antenna? 5/8.. 3/4 etc.

RadioDaze

Antenna enquirer
May 11, 2015
I post here as I suspect amateurs will have greater knowledge about ground mounting performance... when I say ground mounting I mean 4 feet from the ground on a single small pole:

What antenna would you choose from the following and due to which technical principle.?

Sirio 2016
Vector4000
Sirio 827

I would also consider US based options, Penetrators/MACO's etc.

(Would I be correct in assuming an antenna with many/large ground planes would be a good idea ?)

Thanks

Read up on the vector 4000 RadioDaze, there are some good threads about them here and how they work. I am not fully sure, but from what I have gathered by reading is that the cone does affect the way the antenna radiates. How I am not sure. Some have even posted about adding radials to one as well. I'm sure bob85, Marconi, NB, and a few others will pop in and tell us how the darn thing works. I'll have to breeze back through the thread that NB started as I believe somewhere in all the posts were several models showing TOA, height above ground and how the antenna actually works the way it does. Mine will be here tomorrow and I will start the build process. Going to take my time and make sure to weather proof every joint as well as beef them up if need be or just use SS screws and some red locktite and heat shrink on every joint. I've got heat shrink from very small to almost 2". Some in very long lengths. And I have plenty of No-Ox as well as SS screws and such. Just need to get antenna to get some measurements for hose clamps if I decide I want to perform the slit and hose clamp mod. Anyway, have a good one and hope to hear you soon on air. Been hearing a lot of Europe the last couple days. Even spoke to 917 Lawrence, on the S coast of France. I used to speak to him almost daily a year ago. He remembers me and we had a good qso. Again, have a good one and be safe out there static dxing!! If the conditions keep up you won't need to worry about putting up any antennas, just use the mobile whip!! But then again the static mobile does work well. Don't think the vector 4000 would be a good static mobile antenna unless you have some time to set it up and such. It's a large antenna and the cone is large as well. I'll def post some pics when I get it together. Good day.

Reactions: RadioDaze
In think you are right after taking a closer look I suspect putting it together each time would be a hassle and it sure looks BIG !

vector400014.jpg

If ever there was a case for a IMAX2000 GPK (I have an IMAX here) I think a ground mount set up is it. That might be on the cards.. if I go ahead with the idea, I would bend them horizontal though.

I just became very surprised how very well a simple 1/2 wave on a 4 foot ali pole strapped on a concrete post worked. And this perked my interest again.

I start to wonder if "ground mounted" antennas are capable of the job for moderate to good skip conditions and fare less well in weak conditions ?

Antennas eh ?... To me they seem a subject with more questions than answers.

Enjoy putting that Vector together 222DBFL !

Reactions: 222DBFL
Always. Building them is fun. I've only built 1/2 wave dipoles, but they both work very well for what they are. Both are setup horizontal. And with 50 watts or less I make contacts. So I am happy. Trees are my friend at my qth. They block a lot of wind and also make for good places to hang dipoles from. I've spent all weekend making sure that all goes smooth with the install of this antenna as much as I can. I just need to get some 550 paracord and I'll be done. I probably have some laying around. Just have to look for it. But it will be braces at both 8ft and again at about 16ft. Dont know final height yet. But it will be no less than 20ft for sure. Just waiting for antenna to get here is driving me nuts LOL! I'm like a kid I suppose. But I am taking my time putting this one together. Going to be a few day project. After wkrk mostly. Hopefully by the weekend I'll be able to put it up. Fingers crossed!! Anyway, yeah it's a large antenna. A bit larger than I think I expected at first looks. I just hope the neigbors don't cry!!! If it works well enough I make take down one of my dipoles. The one they can see anyway. But at any rate it's going up if I have to go purchase a 6" USA flag on a wooden dowel and stick on the top of it! Then it's a flagpole right??:D:D:ROFLMAO:

Going to take my time and make sure to weather proof every joint

222 I'm just curious, since the NV4K is made of hollow tapered aluminum tubing and is typically open at the bottom to allow drainage, why do you consider it important to seal all the joints on this antenna like you describe?

Is it bad to do so? I have a bunch of heat shrink that I don't use too often so it's why I considered using it. All joints will have no-ox applied to the screws or clamps, and at the joint. Just a very light coat. But if there is issue with sealing off the joints by all means I will not do it. Line I said I want to see the antenna 1st. I have plenty of self aulgamating tape as well as buckets of rolls of butyl for weather proofing commercial antennas and such. Please all replies are very welcome and will be of tremendous use. Thx for pointing one possible issue out already. I will check things out more when I receive the antenna. It will be placed together right no matter whether I use screws or clamps and slits. Anyway again thx there Marconi, I'll have to look at the antenna I suppose before making too many plans I suppose!! Just happy I guess. Haven't had a vert up since about Feb.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your idea here...others have talked about doing things similar. I just don't see the necessity...the water should run out just about as fast as it goes in...with the radiator open at the bottom.

If your idea is successful at really sealing these joints...then it can only be helpful over time at making these parts come apart easily later on.

That was the plan anyhow. To keep all joints as clean and sealed up as much as possible. I am really only doing this as I have way too much large size heat shrink. Like 30ft of 1". A bunch of 3/4", 1/2", 1/4", and 1/8". From the job. Collected over years. I already did an A99 for a friend. Black UV resistant HD heat shrink from top to bottom. Only left some of the tightening points open and used no-ox at these places. Antenna really looks good and no more fiberglass in your hands. It will make it last a lot longer in this FL weather I would think. Anyway. When I get antenna and start playing with heat shrink and such and what I am performing I'll post pics for sure.

If ever there was a case for a IMAX2000 GPK (I have an IMAX here) I think a ground mount set up is it. That might be on the cards.. if I go ahead with the idea, I would bend them horizontal though.

I just became very surprised how very well a simple 1/2 wave on a 4 foot ali pole strapped on a concrete post worked. And this perked my interest again.

I start to wonder if "ground mounted" antennas are capable of the job for moderate to good skip conditions and fare less well in weak conditions ?

Antennas eh ?... To me they seem a subject with more questions than answers.

RD, I'm just curious. What is the fascination with ground mounted CB antennas? Are you in a residential area that prohibits you from elevating the antenna?

IMO, ground mounted antennas work and at times work surprisingly well, but generally the performance characteristics (gain and angle) are minimal at best...to say nothing about possible interference from objects on or near the ground.

I'm reminded of the limitations we sometimes experience in mobile operations.

Okay the vector 4000 is up. Need to get analyzer on it and re adjust the gamma match a bit. It shows at the moment on channel 1, 1.1:1, and 40 is 1.2:1. I know, I know it's good, but I want it best it can be and I know it's got to be adjusted for where I talk more which is upper part of 11 meters. Anyway here are a few pics. Heat shrink used on all connections as well as no-ox. Antenna went together easily. Adjusting it is a bit harder without analyzer LOL. But it is up at near 30ft to feed point. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 254
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 373
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    945.7 KB · Views: 303
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    344.3 KB · Views: 309
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    991.6 KB · Views: 273
222, your install looks great.

If the analyzer also shows similar SWR results to the frequency readings you reported above and the values for resistance is close to 50 ohms and reactance is modestly close to 0 ohms at or near resonance...then I wouldn't touch a thing.

If I felt I had to have the frequency show resonance a bit higher...I would make the top element a bit shorter, and not mess with the gamma.

But again, I don't think you need to adjust anything.

Last edited:
I did adjust top whip once. Vswr is good across 40 channel CB but I like to venture above 40 and the vswr starts creeping up fast over 27.425. I need the analyzer and I'll have it set perfect. I have gotten great reports so far. S9+ locally and S9 to Arizona just now as well. The antenna is def working!! Floor noise is down from before by 2-4 s-units on AM. From S7-S9 to S3-S5. I am a happy camper and was told by 2 locals not to touch it LOL. Thx for the compliment. It took me all of one day to build and install this antenna. Minus the mast. But it's done and done right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.