• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What radio to buy?

LoneWolf TN

Apr 2, 2005
OK Folks, I'm not a ham.
I am thinking about buying a good used ham radio. It needs to have good am modulation, be able to be set up for 11 meters and have excellent rx. I don't care about the ham bands, I just want a radio to be used on 11 meters as a base that has superb receive.
All the export radios just can't cut it when it comes to rx, even my hr2600. Excellent rx is mainly what I'm looking for in a radio and good loud clean modulation on am and ssb.
Pre-owned radios in the $500 dollar range???
Any suggestions?

Thanks, Hossless

You should be able to find a used Icom 706mkiig for that price. You can also find older, larger rigs like yaesu 767's for probably a little less.

The Icom's are good. I'm not real sure about the Yaesu's on AM I have read some complaints on their modulation on AM, otherwise they are very good on SSB the 767 mentioned and 757 are good starters. I've never checked on the mod required for the 840 for 11m. My starter HF rig is a Kenwood TS-430S and it does well in both modes. I'm sure later models of the Kenwood line like the 440 and others are good too. There are other members here who own and use some of these and they can contribute to this thread as well.

LoneWolf TN,
There are so many HF rigs that sound great or can be made to sound great with filters,mics,ect. Here is a list of radio's i would
keep in eye out for,that also fits your budget.
Yaesu Kenwood Icom
FT-840 TS-430 IC-735
FT-747 TS-440 IC-706
FT-757 TS-930 IC-718
FT-767 TS-50 IC-751A
FT-100

Good luck and 73,Stu

What radio?

Appreciate all the suggestion. Just to let everyone know, I'm not in the market right away - it's probably going to be a couple of months. I've heard alot of good things about the 706mkiig. I'll be keeping my eyeballs peeled and ears open (trucker term, LOL) for all suggestions.

Thanks, LoneWolf TN aka Hossless

Re: What radio?

I had a TS-440 a while ago. Only thing I'll say is that if you are buying it used make sure you know everything about it. Nothing against most CBers but some do have a tendency to take a decent radio and turn and clip things they shouldn't. I've been there, so I'm a little paranoid. :evil:

Moleculo said:
You should be able to find a used Icom 706mkiig for that price. You can also find older, larger rigs like yaesu 767's for probably a little less.

the 706 MKIIG is going for 700-800 dollars now that a new one cost 900

A kenwood TS-50 does quite well and should be able to be had for that price range. The Yaesu FT-840 and the Icom IC-718 are both good rigs the Icom has no option of FM though where the 840 you can buy into the option.

LoneWolfTN,
Just to clear any confusion on both the Icom 706 and the Yaesu ft100, that i had mentioned above. Each are earlier versions of the 706mkIIg and yaesu FT100D models and can be found used in your price range. Hope this helps.

73,Stu

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.