• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What to do.....

binrat

WDX Club Coordinator
Staff member
Nov 5, 2008
The Great White north
I'm getting my new truck on Tues. 2012 Sierra 1500 ext cab, short box dual batteries.
I've been running a Optima Mk2 with a dx500 for 10/11 metres but am leaning towards a TS 480 hx with MARS mod. I think my plan maybe a Wilson 5000 for 11 metres, Sirio 5000 for 10 (already have them set for that) off of the hardmount on the roof, then hamsticks for other HF. Also thinking of a Kenwood dual bander for 2 mr / 70cm with a NMO mount just in front of the windsheild on drivers side.
Thoughts??

Reactions: 1 person

If you are going to use the 480HX, I would suggest spending a bit more money on the antenna and get a screwdriver antenna for HF. They are not cheap, compared to the
hamstick antennas, but, you won't have to mess with swapping out antennas every time you want to change bands. Something like the Tarheel 100a HP, will set you back
around $500 or so new, and will get you continuous tuning from 80-6 meters.
I have one and feel that it is money well spent. I have used hamsticks and even a 102" whip with an LDG autotuner. There is no way I'd go back to using the hamsticks
or the whip and autotuner. Much better performance. And it will cover 11 meters too.
trucker

Reactions: 2 people
Larry's Antennas LLC

Binrat: Here's the one I am using on my ZR2/S10/Chevy....Most likely moving to full size Ext. Cab very soon....this antenna has been excellent...very pleased!....mounted on the tool box behind the cab....
I had an amp for months now...never installed...100watts is all I've needed even on 75m...
Larry's antenna will be on the new truck also...(y)
All the Best
Gary

PS: Check out the "Shorty" BIG coil version

Attachments

• KW6-160 by KJ7U.jpg
    KW6-160 by KJ7U.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 175
Larry's Antennas LLC

Binrat: Here's the one I am using on my ZR2/S10/Chevy....Most likely moving to full size Ext. Cab very soon....this antenna has been excellent...very pleased!....mounted on the tool box behind the cab....
I had an amp for months now...never installed...100watts is all I've needed even on 75m...
Larry's antenna will be on the new truck also...(y)
All the Best
Gary

PS: Check out the "Shorty" BIG coil version
That Shorty looks interesting and won't overly make the truck look like crap (XYL) I wonder if it works that well.
I sent an inquiry from their site. Got an e-mail not too long after with suggestions for installing the shorty.

Last edited:
It's typical for any screwdriver type antenna to get 'pickier' the more 'compact' they are. Meaning that finding the 'resonant' point will be a bit more difficult, you have to be 'quicker on the trigger' with that up/down switch.
As far as how well will any particular antenna work, that's a matter of how much care you put into mounting the thing, where, and all the same old thingys you have to deal with in any antenna set up. And then you're back to another 'same old thing', just how 'short' is the thing compared to the 'full sized' antenna? The shorter ones just can't be as 'good' as the longer ones at HF.
The bug-catcher and screw driver antennas are more efficient than other types of HF mobile antennas because they are 'larger' (longer, larger coils, etc.). The lower in frequency you go the bigger that 'larger' has to be to be efficient. At the lower end, on 80 meters, you are looking at an efficiency of maybe 3 to 5%. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort, but it's typical and lots of people find it works just dandy. (Same efficiency with higher power, just more power being radiated.)
- 'Doc

(PS - I just happen to have an old bugcatcher and a screwdriver antenna for sale! I only want two or three times their current retail price for them. Plus shipping of course.)

I would look at the Kenwood B2000.

Kenwood TS-B2000 - RADIOS>RADIO TRANSCEIVERS>BASE STATIONS>HF/6M/VHF/UHF RADIOS

It can be remote mounted and covers 160 meter to 70 centimeter ALL MODE (y)

You would have to add on the remote unit and an external duplexer for VHF/UHF but you would have 100 watts all the way to 2 meter and 50 watts on UHF.

Two antennas on the truck, HF-6 meter screwdriver and a VHF/UHF.

It has an included TCXO and all digital filtering so no extra filters to buy.

It will cross band repeat and do Sky Command.

In the future you can buy a Kenwood HT like the TH-D72A and talk on HF with the HT while walking around and using Sky Command with the B2000.

For antennas, I would go with the HI-Q

Hi-Q Amateur Radio Products - Antennas

Legal Limit and it stays at one height.

Read all about these antennas BEFORE deciding on another brand.

Hi-Q Antennas

If you REALLY want to go HI TECH

Get the optional WiFi on your truck and connect the B2000 to Skype and use your smartphone to control it (y)

I have the Tarheel II on the hood of my Ford Flex and the 100AHP on the front bumper of my box truck. They both work well, and as good as the ham sticks I was running. I have a 56" whip on top of the cap hat on the 100ahp and tunes 28.4-3.7 including 11m, works great for road traffic, I hardly use the cb in there. The 480HX I have is nice by assigning the PF button for tune as it puts out a low power CW tone so you can easily fine tune the antenna. In my Flex I have an Icom 7000 with the RFTune control assembly so all I have to do is use the tune on the rig and it will drive the screwdriver automatically so I can keep my eyes on the road. I love that feature. They make if for the kenwood, but since the big antenna,s in front of me I have electrical tape marking the height which gets me close every time so I don't have a need for it in the box truck. I kept the short whip on the Tarheel II so I can tune six meters. I loose about 2-3 s units on 75m but I have ad no trouble working any station I hear. All in all, it beats changing antennas. Pricey, yes as the cheapest seems to start at $400 with the needed accessories to mount the antennas.

Well, the XYL vetoed the idea od the 480hx and the power cable needed to run it. So, I think I'm stuck for now with the Optima and a wilson trucker mount off of the box on the pass side. I plan to have quick disconnects for both antennas for now. :(

Well, the XYL vetoed the idea od the 480hx and the power cable needed to run it. So, I think I'm stuck for now with the Optima and a wilson trucker mount off of the box on the pass side. I plan to have quick disconnects for both antennas for now. :(

Is this her truck or your truck? :tongue:

It's typical for any screwdriver type antenna to get 'pickier' the more 'compact' they are. Meaning that finding the 'resonant' point will be a bit more difficult, you have to be 'quicker on the trigger' with that up/down switch.
As far as how well will any particular antenna work, that's a matter of how much care you put into mounting the thing, where, and all the same old thingys you have to deal with in any antenna set up. And then you're back to another 'same old thing', just how 'short' is the thing compared to the 'full sized' antenna? The shorter ones just can't be as 'good' as the longer ones at HF.
The bug-catcher and screw driver antennas are more efficient than other types of HF mobile antennas because they are 'larger' (longer, larger coils, etc.). The lower in frequency you go the bigger that 'larger' has to be to be efficient. At the lower end, on 80 meters, you are looking at an efficiency of maybe 3 to 5%. Doesn't sound like it's worth the effort, but it's typical and lots of people find it works just dandy. (Same efficiency with higher power, just more power being radiated.)
- 'Doc

(PS - I just happen to have an old bugcatcher and a screwdriver antenna for sale! I only want two or three times their current retail price for them. Plus shipping of course.)

show us that sweet Texas bug catcher!:wub:
Is this her truck or your truck? :tongue:
that is probably the most smart thing to think about cause the YL could just end up being the "X"YL.:thumbdown:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.