• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WHAT USED TO BE THE BEST IS NO LONGER

Few forums offer as much freedom or diversity as this one. It doesn't matter if you just got your first CB from Walmart last Friday or have been an Extra class for decades, the door has always been open here. I've seen few members pass judgement on others until they have posted enough times to make that judgement. Generally speaking, respect is offered up front in this forum until an individual clearly doesn't offer the same in return. One of the fastest ways to accelerate that problem is to start using insults when responding to people you disagree with. Talking from experience, how you handle those situations can determine how much enjoyment you receive from your time spent here.

The other thread was locked because the moderators have seen this "dead end" trap many times before and don't need to travel the entire path to see there is no outlet. However, what disappoints me most is it appears JAF0 knew about the wide discrepancy in S-Meter readings on CB radios and was not surprised when that was mentioned as one of the contributors to the large 2 S-Unit increase on his meter.

When we attempt to compare antennas using the S-Meter we must convert that signal change into decibels to get any idea of the antennas change in gain. While most S-Meters do not have the accuracy to do this, it does not mean that specific standards have not been set. One S-Unit change on the meter is supposed to be equal to a 6db difference and the S-9 reading is supposed to be indicated with a signal strength of -73dbm.

If you already know just about no CB is accurate in this area, why would someone put so much effort into arguing about it?

Reactions: NZ8N
Speaking of forums....

I was doing some interweb research last week. There was a particular forum that had several of the topics I was researching listed in search results, but when I clicked the link, the site required membership to join.

OK, after a few more searches and the same links showing a relevant thread, but again, required membership, I finally tried to join.

I had to work harder than getting in my first girlfriends pants. They want you to tell two truths and one lie, or whatever bullshit. I'm like, WTH? Then you had to make some introductory posts or whatnot.

I backed out of there and kept whatever dignity I had left.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

JAFO, where are you planning to go?

Can't imagine what Radio forum he thinks us better?

He has an account on transmission1 (transmission1.net), a brand new account, just created today, with 2 posts...

No, I'm not stalking him, I just have an account on that forum (among many other forums) since 2005 that I use to lurk, and today I saw his name pop up as the most recent reply on a thread...

And just as he claims about this forum, they don't have a ton of CB radio content, especially when it comes to antenna related posts...

He'll likely fit right in as there are several other people that have a similar knowledge level and beliefs when it comes to antennas.

The DB

Perhaps the best advice I could give to avoid this entire problem would be to imagine the most important being to you, is a part of your audience. Sitting quietly while listening to everything you say to others. Depending on the person, that could mean anything from your wife, child or parent to your god. If you're saying anything you wouldn't be proud of under those circumstances ask yourself "where am I getting the satisfaction, confidence or justification to say it now?" Just because the situation is different, should not change our entire behavior or how we would react in that situation.

Perhaps the best advice I could give to avoid this entire problem would be to imagine the most important being to you, is a part of your audience. Sitting quietly while listening to everything you say to others. Depending on the person, that could mean anything from your wife, child or parent to your god. If you're saying anything you wouldn't be proud of under those circumstances ask yourself "where am I getting the satisfaction, confidence or justification to say it now?" Just because the situation is different, should not change our entire behavior or how we would react in that situation.

now that is one thought provoking paragraph!

I definitely need to do this once in a while LOL.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.