• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what would be a good base amp?

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I have never owned a tube base amp and im not sure what to look for.I want something that will do 2k and cost no more than $1500.00(i hope anyway).Can someone help me out as far as....What are some of the better built amps,is there anything i need to be on the look out for when buying a used amp or can i buy a new one that mets my price and performance needs?I want to do this right the first time so any help would be welcomed,thanks.

I have always ran tubes........that is until recently. I am now running two X-Forces on my base. I run an X-80 base into a 60012 and have had nothing but excellent reports. I am seeing about 450-500 dk & 2K pep. I decided to switch over from tubes due to outrageous tube prices and getting them fixed all of the time. Most of the old tubers are time bombs due to their age. They do sound good when working properly, but...........

2K? Really? Well, if you must. Why when 300 t0 500 will work just fine!

I recommend the Pride DX-300! Justin modified mine and I run it on low power only (900 watts on high, but DIRTY). It uses a single 4CX250B tube, at a cost that seems to average $100.00 and will last you 20 years if you take care of it. I picked up a replacement, new in the box, for $5.00! The guys running glass tubes and blowing them up are ABUSING their equipment! Run a Toyota at 10,000 RPMs and see how long it lasts too.

I've hung in there with guys running their SB-220s and dirt boxes (transistor). Everyone says I sound great, and other than s-meter readings, they can't tell the amplifier is on ..... the way it is supposed to be!

Transistor amps in the house is a BAD idea unless you live in the middle of nowhere or have enough money to really do it right.

Or, you can have the average CB mentality, not care about the band or your neighbors, and really tear up the world with your 2 driving 8! :twisted:

Well all of my 300a's tore up the neighbors pretty bad. I have 2 seperate ground systems now, 2 devils triangles, 1 for the antenna and 1 for the shack. Good coax helps alot too. The phone hasn't rang yet. BTW....it is 2 driving 6. I only use that much when it is really tough in dx. I guess it is alright for hams to run alot of power though, but not us lowly cb'rs. :roll: . Seems like alot of hams frequent 11 meters(even though they usually won't admit it)........why is that? :p

musky1963 said:
Well all of my 300a's tore up the neighbors pretty bad. I have 2 seperate ground systems now, 2 devils triangles, 1 for the antenna and 1 for the shack.
I had a 300a and it didn't tear up the neighbors. Nice amp for what it was. Please explain the "devils triangles".

musky1963 said:
Good coax helps alot too. The phone hasn't rang yet. BTW....it is 2 driving 6. I only use that much when it is really tough in dx.
Yes! LMR-400 is tough to beat unless you step up to Heliax.

musky1963 said:
I guess it is alright for hams to run alot of power though, but not us lowly cb'rs. Seems like alot of hams frequent 11 meters(even though they usually won't admit it)........why is that?
I don't know where this comment is coming from or what it has to do with anything. I don't think CB'ers are "lowly", but you have to admit some are as smart as a box of rocks. They are quick to parrot what someone else says without checking the facts first. I know a few hams like that too.

You are either a good operator, or you are not. I don't care if its CB, HAM, MURS, GMRS, or whatever.

Well you got everything solidly grounded is seems!! :)
-I dont know much at all about tube amps...
I hope you find what you are looking for...
8)
AM POWER

The "Devils Triangle" is this..
3 ground rods beat into the ground in the form of a triangle...
Per example....

Connected together with ground strap...
Hope that answers your Question??

AM POWER

trianle

it dont have to be in a triangle just 3 ground rods about a foot apart 1 fo rantenns 1 for radios and 1 for amps

i also heard a wise tale or dumpin rock salt and anti freezz in the ground to make aground better

if i was you get a base amp. Not a tube amp. One night i talked to a guy that was using tubes. He sounded GREAT. But he was mad becuase he was only getting 10,000 watts out of a 12,000 watt tube amp. Man if i had 10,000 i would be one little happy camper. But you want what you want and i want what i want so ill let er be!

Re: trianle

bone smuggler said:
it dont have to be in a triangle just 3 ground rods about a foot apart 1 fo rantenns 1 for radios and 1 for amps

i also heard a wise tale or dumpin rock salt and anti freezz in the ground to make aground better

Actually, the rods should be 6' or more apart. The rock salt is not a "wives tale". The surface of the ocean is the best ground on earth. I agree with the antifreeze being a bad choice. Oh, keep your ground wire under 9' (1/4 wavelength). The shorter the better. Might wanna read up on it. :roll:

Thread Hyjack Alert!

Was BASE amps, now GROUND Rods!

Thread_hijack_live.jpg

ground

wire i run 3 ground road as well they a alosme 6ft apart i use pure salt not rock salt rock salt ist really that pure anymore some compamies add chemicals to speed the melting process up i ground all my antennas of fthe braid of the coax and i also ground the tower with thick bradied ground strap. my radio and amp each have thier own ground rod too it works really good

Hey, King Mudduck

Mudduck, RF is RF no matter if it is from tubes or from transitors. Some tube amps are filtered better than others that is why they don't bleed as bad. Don't belive the hype about transitors bleeding more than tubes. Some ducks just don't know.

One large tube will run better and cleaner than two or more tubes due to loss . 1 st tube runs at 100 percent ,add 2nd tube now only 70 percent ,add a 3 rd now 60 percent ,and a lot of harmonics now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.