• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What would you do?

Apr 10, 2015
I have an Icom 737. It has not been upgraded or touched in any way. What mods can be done, filters or channel additions or anything. What would you do to it?
Thanks
Dave

What wou8ld I do, use it Use it like it is, it may already have filters in it, have you checked. mods.dk is where to go for mods.

... use it Use it like it is....

good advice, it is worth $200, perhaps $250 MAX.
it is basically an IC-728 in a larger case. No VOX, poor filter selection, and a lousy audio notch.
I "think" it is pre-WARC (might be wrong)

If the radio is working well, leave it be. If you want to you can open the RX/TX up I beleive. If it's like the 728 anyway you can. Know a gent that runs a 728 locally and it's okay. My kenwood ts140s seems to do a bit better job then the Icom, but it could just be me.
I use an Icom 746 for a base radio so I am not trying to diss the 728, it's just what I have experienced. At any rate they are getting harder to find parts for. Might be best off to either sell it on EBay, or keep it and use it the way it is. The filters would end up costing as much as if not more than the radio itself. And it may not make it that much better.
If you like the radio or it has some sentimental value then keep it and find a good used HF radio. There are a bunch out there at the moment with the new radios that are out or coming out. That or get one of the new radios that are out like the Icom 7300. JMHO. Don't throw a bunch into though as like stated, they aren't worth a whole lot. JMHO.

I am pretty sure is very similar to my Icom-736 (the 736 has 6m however). I use mine daily. I haven't felt the need to add or change anything other than using a desk microphone in place of the hand microphone.

Reactions: 222DBFL
Thanks, it was a trade for stuff I didn't use. So.....it does have the WARC bands, wasn't sure. I am testing for tech and general on sunday
Dave

Agree with others, leave it alone. This will be a nice entry level radio for now. You can always step up to a more modern used radio or maybe go all out on a new radio. A good antenna at a good height will go further than a better radio.

Good luck on your tests this weekend be sure to post here when you pass!

Reactions: 222DBFL
Yep, as long as it is working for you, leave it be. Use it and learn. And like Fourstringburn said, get the best antenna setup you can afford and get it up as high as possible. Do well on the test!

Reactions: fourstringburn
The best receive improvement I've found for old rigs is to tap one of the IF stages and use a cheap SDR.

I did this with my old ts440 that has been collecting dust. I'm not familiar with your icom but it shouldn't be too hard. It's not much worse than soldering in one of the optional filters for my Kenmore appliance.

I hear ya Fourstringburn! I have studied a bunch and taken many of the practice tests as well and with my background some of it I already know. At any rate it will be soon as my boss has been bugging me to go as well! He just set up a business repeater and renewed his old license. I helped with a lot of that install as well! At any rate, soon I'll be going I am sure! The way I have been getting bugged it will be soon I am sure!! Have all the radios and some of the antennas. Just need the ticket to use them to their full potential.

congrats on the exam, now study up and pass the general so you can actually use the radio... and leave the radio as is... it is a good little radio, but not worth spending any money on. I still have an old 728 and my experience with that radio is quite different than the other poster had. I keep it as a back up to my back up, to my back up to my radio.
The 746 the one guy talked about is also a good radio, I use one as a mobile in my farm truck.
Your radio is actually a very simple, easy to use radio... a basic model that will teach you to use a radio, teach you the basics, make you a better operator. Have fun.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.