• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What would you do?

Here's the situation. You suddenly and without proper diligence to remedy and satisfy all of the legal owners property rights beforehand make everyone who owns a radio into an outlaw the second they key up his/her radio.

Damages are real and so are the claims. Why, every ambulance chaser and even high profile attorneys worth his weight in paper will be all over this situation faster than stink on poop. No question about it. It might have taken place with business in the past; but not with John Q Citizen as a whole - whether in the US or otherwise. It's not comedy; its just a hypothetical situation as far as affecting citizens as a whole. My laughter at your stance holds the same amusement to me - I assure you.

Especially if it is done without the permission of all US citizens without a war present. Then you will have an even bigger problem. Of course, this is all hypothetical anyway so it doesn't mean squat. Make it squat if you like; but it still doesn't mean anything . . .

Last edited:
Here's the situation. You suddenly and without proper diligence to remedy and satisfy all of the legal owners property rights beforehand make everyone who owns a radio into an outlaw the second they key up his/her radio.

Damages are real and so are the claims. Why, every ambulance chaser and even high profile attorneys worth his weight in paper will be all over this situation faster than stink on poop. No question about it. It might have taken place with business in the past; but not with John Q Citizen as a whole - whether in the US or otherwise. It's not comedy; its just a hypothetical situation as far as affecting citizens as a whole. My laughter at your stance holds the same amusement to me - I assure you.

Especially if it is done without the permission of all US citizens without a war present. Then you will have an even bigger problem. Of course, this is all hypothetical anyway so it doesn't mean squat. Make it squat if you like; but it still doesn't mean anything . . .

Hey Robb...

I think it's Jan 2013 that business band radio licensees have to toss aside their old repeaters/radios for new radios that meet the narrow band requirements. Know any good lawyers?

Especially if it is done without the permission of all US citizens without a war present. Then you will have an even bigger problem.

What percentage of the US population do you think actually give a damn about amateur radio?

You need a new hobby, getting angry is no good. Ever considered meth?

What percentage of the US population do you think actually give a damn about amateur radio?

You need a new hobby, getting angry is no good. Ever considered meth?

GLR you are FUC*$D in the head but funny as hell. I about spilled the morning coffee reading this post I was laughing so hard.:whistle:

It will never happen that way. You do not wake up in the morning, get an idea, and then sell off all the spectrum by dinner time. Regardless of what you think there would be a period of time for consideration as well as finding new spectrum users and frequency assignments. it will NOT happen "suddenly and without proper diligence" to use your quasi lawyer speak.

American lawyers are of the type that like to suck the blood from the dieing masses whenever the words "action" and "class" are used together in the same sentence but not necessarily in that order aren't they? :whistle: That is just what will happen too, they will bleed what money those have left and then loose the case if it even gets to trial. Granted some local judge may rule in the peoples favour but I have no doubt a higher court will reverse the decision. Let me see, you entered into a HOBBY voluntarily, spent your money as YOU wanted too and then expect the government to reimburse you? What about if you loose your driving license? Should the state reimburse you for your car? No difference in things,they both involve a revocation of a privilege after having spent money to partake in that privilege.

You are correct. The government would NEVER EVER do anything without the permission of all US citizens without a war present. That's never happened before has it? :whistle: You won't have to worry about that anyway because at this rate the USA will never be without a war being present. Even if that were not the case the masses of the American public, rightly or wrongly, do not give two hoots or a holler about amateur radio and look upon it as an antiquated and useless form of communications. They expect to be able to use their cell phones in time of need and wonder why anyone would want to sit back and talk through noise and interference to someone they don't even know. Half the people don't even talk to their neighbor much less understand why we would want to talk to someone on another continent.The wants and desires of the few shall be trod upon by the wants and needs of the masses.

In the end you are right again about this being hypothetical so there is no sense in arguing the issue. I merely suggest that you look at this scenario with an open and unbiased mind and then ask "What are my chances of winning such a lawsuit based on all the past precedence as well as the very slim support from the masses. Miracles do happen from time to time and this is the season for such events to happen but since this is merely hypothetical I will grant you your hypothetical court victory while I deal with my real world loss.

jazzsinger's thread got me wondering, but i didnt want to hijack his thread with my questions, so, here they are.
these are directed at licensed ham ops, but all are welcome to opine.

yes, this is completely hypothetical.

The ARRL has been disbanded, or decommissioned. whatever.

The FCC has sold the entire HF/VHF/UHF spectrum, including the amateur bands, to companies for use in their commercial ventures.

All ham radio transmitting equipment is now illegal to use.

what would you do?
would you still pursue your hobby and become a "pirate"?
would you sell your equipment to others who might want to operate it illegally?

would you just pack it up and find a new hobby?
what would you do?

please do not explain to me why this would never happen.
i am asking what if it did.
:pop:
LC
So, just for those of you that have posted on this thread and conveniently FORGOT that this is strictly a HYPOTHETICAL.
It will never happen that way. You do not wake up in the morning, get an idea, and then sell off all the spectrum by dinner time. Regardless of what you think there would be a period of time for consideration as well as finding new spectrum users and frequency assignments. it will NOT happen "suddenly and without proper diligence" to use your quasi lawyer speak.

American lawyers are of the type that like to suck the blood from the dieing masses whenever the words "action" and "class" are used together in the same sentence but not necessarily in that order aren't they? :whistle: That is just what will happen too, they will bleed what money those have left and then loose the case if it even gets to trial. Granted some local judge may rule in the peoples favour but I have no doubt a higher court will reverse the decision. Let me see, you entered into a HOBBY voluntarily, spent your money as YOU wanted too and then expect the government to reimburse you? What about if you loose your driving license? Should the state reimburse you for your car? No difference in things,they both involve a revocation of a privilege after having spent money to partake in that privilege.

You are correct. The government would NEVER EVER do anything without the permission of all US citizens without a war present. That's never happened before has it? :whistle: You won't have to worry about that anyway because at this rate the USA will never be without a war being present. Even if that were not the case the masses of the American public, rightly or wrongly, do not give two hoots or a holler about amateur radio and look upon it as an antiquated and useless form of communications. They expect to be able to use their cell phones in time of need and wonder why anyone would want to sit back and talk through noise and interference to someone they don't even know. Half the people don't even talk to their neighbor much less understand why we would want to talk to someone on another continent.The wants and desires of the few shall be trod upon by the wants and needs of the masses.

In the end you are right again about this being hypothetical so there is no sense in arguing the issue. I merely suggest that you look at this scenario with an open and unbiased mind and then ask "What are my chances of winning such a lawsuit based on all the past precedence as well as the very slim support from the masses. Miracles do happen from time to time and this is the season for such events to happen but since this is merely hypothetical I will grant you your hypothetical court victory while I deal with my real world loss.
Since it is a hypothetical, let's say that it did happen the way that LC posted.

Because this HYPO action would be without precedent; then the same legal precedent/legal action would be set in motion by everyone that owns radio equipment - licensed or not. CB/Ham.

The gov't in this HYPO situation has made outlaws of every person that keys up their radios after the decree. That would - by default - make everyone operating a radio an outlaw in the US.

The gov'ts diligence here would be to buy you out completely, so that there would be no excuse or cause for any further legal action against them for the cause of illegal radio activity from that point onward to be necessary. An ounce of prevention is the real point to all of this. Just talking about the only real remedy available here.

If they try to sell radio freqs; who would buy the rights knowing that it would be disrupted all of the time? No one would - is the answer. You couldn't stop all of the jammers; no more than you could stop bootleggers. Unless no one no longer had such equipment to disrupt. They made alcohol illegal, and that was also a bad move. We had to buy it from Canada (lol!) The US gov't was entirely responsible for creating and feeding the MOB. Whereas before, they didn't have much of a pot to pee in or the proverbial window either.

Sure, I completely agree that they can tell us all the we are all SOL. That doesn't mean that to every legal decree there are equal and opposite legal action(s). If they win or not is entirely another matter.

Compensation would be handled by class-action because there was more than just radios lost. Whatever you have spent is recoverable. The lawyers would be doing this on a contingency basis; so they would be paid for getting the victory. That kind of money would be enough for 3-6 dozen attorneys handling some 80k operators. Well worth the effort for them and the motive to do so.

But Congress would have to legislate such an action to be made law. Not a likelihood whatsoever. This will remain a HYPO until pigs fly. But it was fun; I had fun with it . . .

Last edited:
Like I said Robb, you WIN your hypothetical lawsuit. The hypothetical cheque for your hypothetical $150,000 won from your hypothetical lawsuit is in the hypothetical mail. Spend it wisely.

Oh and just for the record, nowhere in the initial post did it say anything about "suddenly and without proper diligence". It merely said that the condition exists with no mention of how long it took or whether there was any consultation with the masses. The suddenly and without proper diligence part was all you.

Now look who has more lawyer smarts.:love:

Reactions: 1 person
Like I said Robb, you WIN your hypothetical lawsuit. The hypothetical cheque for your hypothetical $150,000 won from your hypothetical lawsuit is in the hypothetical mail. Spend it wisely.
Oh and just for the record, nowhere in the initial post did it say anything about "suddenly and without proper diligence". It merely said that the condition exists with no mention of how long it took or whether there was any consultation with the masses. The suddenly and without proper diligence part was all you.

Now look who has more lawyer smarts.:love:
Hypothetically, I will . . .

Hypothetically, nothing has really been proven either way - because there is no way to know. According to LC's HYPO, that is way it all came down.

Last edited by a moderator:
There Robb, I fixed your quote of me above. I added the info you omitted. Note the bold text.In a court situation you cannot make assumptions but only act on facts. I presented the facts above while you made an assumption.

When quoting me please do not omit info that is pertinent to other posts in the thread. Someone may get the impression you were right and that I was wrong.:D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated