• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What year was the Kenwood TS-520 released?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
I have purchased a Kenwood TS-520, I just wanted to know what year these rigs were produced. The one I purchased has a serial number beginning in 05XXX I believe.

T23

Last edited:

Likely 78, can't remember when they quit making them. I've never owned one, but have heard many on the air. They sound good and most that own, covet them.

I know, there driving the prices up on ebay! If you read eham reviews, you used to could get them for $150.

A local friend has one. He bought it new and it's all he's ever had. He really likes it. He not rich, but easily could afford a new rig. Just chooses to keep his 520. I have played his a few times.

I've been looking for one, but all I've seen so far were junky and abused. I remember seeing a new factory sealed wharehouse TS-520 find one ebay around a year ago. Can't recall exact price, but it was crazy high. I think I posted a link about it on here somewhere.

I'm still looking for a good specimen for my shack.

I saw one of those "in factory box" units a few months ago, it went for $800 to $1200 if I remember correctly.

T23

I thought the input impedance was 50k, the amplified version of the d-104 stand is matched from the hi-z element through the amp board to about 600ohms. Is the audio affected at all?

I run an 820 which is very close to the 520 aside from the freq counter my 820 has. I run a 300 ohm shure sm58 mic to a line transformer to convert the signal back up to high impedance which is what all the kenwood hybrids prefer, then to a 4 pin right into the radio. I get good reports with my shure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

45, North Florida

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.