• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What year was the Kenwood TS-520 released?

The 520 would have to be from 78 as the 820S came out about that time. i have one of each but have not put the 520 on the air yet after buying it this past summer. I use a Kenwood MC-50 microphone on the 820S. As for the amplified D104 IIRC the amp has an output impedance of about 5000 ohms according to my Astatic info. The 520 and 820 like to see about 50,000 ohms. Mismatched impedances will result in a difference in available drive levels from the mic as well as the frequency response will be altered. My MC-50 is dual impedance 600/50K. Either will work but the settings have different sounds. The d104 has lots of drive so you can insert a series resistor to help with impedance matching and you should have enough level left for proper operation.

I always thought low-Z to high-Z worked ok, but high to low needed possible matching transformer.

Anyhow, lots of guys run amplified D104's on hybrid rigs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.