• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's a good "all in one" radio for a fairly new ham who just likes to chat?

Turbo T

Certified CB Rambo
Feb 2, 2011
I acquired my tech license in July after being fed up with the hash/trash and no one to talk to....all on the 11 meter band. Since I got my ticket and my first radio (Yaesu FT-7900R), I have been enjoying 2 M/70 CM. I have asked the wife to buy me a 10 meter radio for Christmas so i can get the joy of being able to chat on 28.300-28.500.

However, I've wanted to get a base station rig that is sort of an "all in one" deal. You know...one radio that does it all....and not 50 radios all in one room like some people. I just want one radio that plugs in the wall and can work several different frequencies at my discretion.

I don't do Morse code or care to, but I do enjoy phone and sideband. I plan to eventually go up for general but for now I'm enjoying being a tech.

I noticed it seems a lot of base rigs are HF and some with 6 M, but not as many have 2 M or 70 CM...which I use quite a bit. I wanted to find a radio with 2 M/70 CM on it in addition to HF.

At first I noticed the Icom 9100 had what I wanted in frequencies, but not only did it carry a $3500 price tag but it also looked to have a lot of items I might not ever use.

Then I noticed Kenwood makes a TS-2000 which had HF plus VHF and UHF. It also looks to be much less....anyone here run a TS-2000?

Or if there's another radio you can think of (the Yaesu 857-D came to mind) please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

As you've found, there aren't a lot of all band/all mode radios available. The Kenwood TS-2000 is certainly one of the more popular rigs in that class and one of the forum members is selling one at a very attractive price in the swapshop right now! The other rigs you should look at are the Icom IC-7000 and the Yaesu FT-897D. If you are willing to look at some older rigs, the Icom IC-706MKIIG is a very fine rig and previously owned rigs be found used at fairly reasonable prices.

I would seriously consider that TS-2000 in the swapshop section , though...

I have an RCI-2950DX that does 10-11-12 meters that's three slots in one radio. since you have your tech you have 10 meter phone so you can use it there and if you graduate to general class you'll already have your 12 meter radio. I so far like this radio, I havent had an oppourtunity to use it on ham bands (still awaiting my test)

Hey, I'm one of those guys with mutli radios. Its good for listening to multi bands at once. A lot more cluster at the station but I think I would be lost for awhile only having 1. But my plan is to redo my station in the spring and go to a single unit as well ( local club going to a 2 metre voting setup with a satelite station at my qth so all I need is my HT) to simplify my shack. I'm thinking of the 897d or the 7000 myself as I want to have the ability to move them out of the station when required.

If you want a good all around unit. The Yaesu 857D is what I have used for years.
20 amp power supply will do the trick. You have all of the modes AM,FM, SSB, Digital, CW, RTTY, You can have a lot of fun with it and you can put in the mobile when you want to.
You don't need a big radio to sound like one.

I have a buddy with the FT897d. He is real happy with it. You can use it fixed, mobile, and portable. That way you have many options.
Rich

My Experience

As both the TS2000 and IC-7000 have been mentioned I can add some details.

I started with the TS2000. Very little of the operation requires you to go down menus to select or change something. It is dual receive which is nice to listen on 10m and 2m or 70cm. DSP is at the audio level and works OK. It is a heavy radio at 20 pounds. Interfaces well with HRD and it's suite of programs. Sold the TS2000 and bought a IC-7000.

Because of the smaller size of the unit there are a limited number of controls so it is more menu driven. Interfaces with HRD which is how I like to operate so that difference is a wash. Smaller size is nice for more room on the desktop. Single receive only so the one concession is a 2nd 2m/70cm mobile used as a base. Picked a DStar (ID-880) so I can work analog and digital for those two bands. DSP is at the IF level so there is a significant step up in performance and features.

TS2000 is viewed as having been around for a long time. Maybe to long??? IC-7000 gets dinged for running hot. The four 1/8 jacks in the back are easy to plug in the wrong cable and possible cause a failure or cause a connector to PCB disconnect. Mine needs to go back as the CI-V port quit working. Not sure if mechanical or electrical. I will get it fixed and continue to use it. It will be a secondary/backup to the Flex3000. It becomes a secondary radio with easy startup and portability.

Some background, I hope it helps.

Mike, KE5MC

As both the TS2000 and IC-7000 have been mentioned I can add some details.

I started with the TS2000. Very little of the operation requires you to go down menus to select or change something. It is dual receive which is nice to listen on 10m and 2m or 70cm. DSP is at the audio level and works OK. It is a heavy radio at 20 pounds. Interfaces well with HRD and it's suite of programs. Sold the TS2000 and bought a IC-7000.

Because of the smaller size of the unit there are a limited number of controls so it is more menu driven. Interfaces with HRD which is how I like to operate so that difference is a wash. Smaller size is nice for more room on the desktop. Single receive only so the one concession is a 2nd 2m/70cm mobile used as a base. Picked a DStar (ID-880) so I can work analog and digital for those two bands. DSP is at the IF level so there is a significant step up in performance and features.

TS2000 is viewed as having been around for a long time. Maybe to long??? IC-7000 gets dinged for running hot. The four 1/8 jacks in the back are easy to plug in the wrong cable and possible cause a failure or cause a connector to PCB disconnect. Mine needs to go back as the CI-V port quit working. Not sure if mechanical or electrical. I will get it fixed and continue to use it. It will be a secondary/backup to the Flex3000. It becomes a secondary radio with easy startup and portability.

Some background, I hope it helps.

Mike, KE5MC

DSP on the TS-2000 is at IF stage... Not audio or AF.

The secondary receiver is AF though.

Isn't the TS2000 the only one with dual receive in its price class that covers HF/6/2/70? I was thinking there were a couple others but quite a bit more expensive. For base, if you can talk the xyl into it, that's a nice one. It's nice to be able to monitor a favorite freq while chewing on another. if your active into repeaters that's another ++ for the TS2000

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.