• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's a good book for Antenna building....?

Lots of stuff available from the ARRL. The best overall is the ARRL Antenna Handbook. There are also lots of other books specific to quads,yagis, and verticles available from them as well. The RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) also has some great books.

I was checking out the ARRL book store online, and got a bad case of sticker shock......:eek:

I have a hard time shelling out $35.00+ for a paper back book.....:censored:

Was wondering if there were more reasonable sources with the same information available......???

ARRL antennabook
RSGB antennabook both older versions
Karl Rothammel wich describes about every antenna professionally or amateur made, lots of background data too.

That's what i mostly use.

I was checking out the ARRL book store online, and got a bad case of sticker shock......:eek:

I have a hard time shelling out $35.00+ for a paper back book.....:censored:

Was wondering if there were more reasonable sources with the same information available......???
Then stay away from Barnes and Noble.

I believe the Antenna Book and the ARRL Handbook both come with CDs containing a bunch of very useful programs for antennas and other projects. This should help the sticker shock syndrome.

You may also be able to find these books at your local public library.

Google

What kind of antenna(s) are you wanting to build?

I'd to eventually get an HF rig, I live in a suburban neighborhood with limited space, however I do have a few tall trees to work with. I'd just like to start researching my antenna options.

More than likely I'll have to go with something on the lines of a G5RV and a tuner, don't think I have the room needed for a 160m dipole, but if I do, I'd like to know the best way and best materials to build one myself.

Sounds like the ARRL Antenna Handbook is what you need, then. You will get all kinds of ideas. I read it cover to cover when I first got it, and keep going back to my copy every once and a while to check on certain things, so to me the 35 bucks is worth it. Unfortunately, it might be to late to ask Santa Claus for it...

Think of these books as reference material. They very seldom, if ever, go 'out of date' in the information they contain. Except in a few instances, most of them don't offer specific instructions on building specific antennas, construction projects. They more or less give you the general idea and then it's up to your to do the implementing. The only 'real' problem with HF antennas is that they are not 'itty-bitty' things, they tend to get larger or longer as the frequency of use get's lower. A typical urban lot can hold an amazing number of antennas. They may not be the 'best in the world', but in most cases they just don't have to be.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

(Buy the books. They last for a very long time. Absolutely nothing wrong with looking for a bargain though.)

(Buy the books. They last for a very long time. Absolutely nothing wrong with looking for a bargain though.)

I'm always up for a good bargain, so I'll troll eBay, and if I can't find a used copy on the cheap there, I'll wait til the local ham fest comes around....there's always bargains on books at those......(y)

I'd to eventually get an HF rig, I live in a suburban neighborhood with limited space, however I do have a few tall trees to work with. I'd just like to start researching my antenna options.

More than likely I'll have to go with something on the lines of a G5RV and a tuner, don't think I have the room needed for a 160m dipole, but if I do, I'd like to know the best way and best materials to build one myself.

look at a w5gi mystery wire , its a mulltiband colinear
and it will work most bands without a tuner

http://www.w5gi.com/mysteryantenna.htm

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.