• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's a good book for Antenna building....?

For the General Claas in Ham; isn't it required to have the ARRL antenna book and Part 97 in the presence of the control operator of that station?
I heard that somewhere; and I don't know if it is a test question. Gonna have to start studying with my General license practice tests this week...

Last edited:
The Rule book, yes. The Hand book, no. In general, the hand book would get a lot more use than the rule book. While you're at it, you might get a few note pads and pencils, maybe even a log book. The log book isn't an absolute requirement, but the note pads, scratch pads don't last very long, calls, names, frequencies, etc. (Use a ball-point, they last longer than a pencil and you don't have to sharpen the @#$ things.)
You always hear about the proverbial "junk box", right? Find your self a half way big one to start with, saves ratting through drawers looking for stuff. (Believe me, you will use it!) If you think cables, cords wal-warts, etc, accumulate with a computer, just wait. At least one good lamp! One with an articulated 20 foot boom if possible. Keeps it out of the way to make room for stuff, hang notes on, etc. Use a desk? Get your self a nice scar, heat, scratch resistant top for it. And a cup holder! Clear out one corner in the 'shack' to stack things in. Oh, yes you will! At least one roll of paper towels or a hand towel draped on the chair arm. Wouldn't believe how handy that is.
You will never have enough wall outlets! Re-wire the place with #8 romex for the 120vac outlets, find a sale on them multi-outlet strips, get enough to cover all the baseboards! Run at least one 240vac line in there. May never need it for 240 vac, but you can 'split' it and have more 120 vac outlets! (Get back to me in about a year, tell me I was joking about that.)
Can't think of anything else off hand, but I'll bet you will need something else, everybody does...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.