• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WHAT'S GOING ON WHEN IT COMES TO HIFI CB?

Boy are you wrong and quick to jump to conclusions. You missed the entire point. No use explaining it to you. You are trolling with your inexperience and wrong and ridiculous assumptions.

I have a lot of experience in using pro audio equipment and own some myself in my home studio recording shack with tube parametric EQ's, multiple tube and solid state compressors and other effects along with a 24 track digital ADAT recorder and 24 channel mixer that I can easily integrate with my Radio gear if I wanted.

" I'm not a fan of compression because I don't know how to use it??? " Get real!!! I can go into detail on how compression works but this isn't a audio forum. I did give the basics previously on how and why it is used in the recording field.

My point still stands that you missed...

The more processing done to a signal, the more further away from the truth you get. That's a fact!!!

Motor mouth maul is a classic example on how over processed a simple signal can sound and often when I heard him, he was buried alive since heavy audio sound can't cut through when signals and band conditions are less than ideal. Obviously you are a fan of his and probably worships everything he says and I insulted you.

Whether Ham or CB, this isn't HI-FI radio so the audio is never going to truly sound HI-FI anyway. I do use a expensive high quality Ribbon mic on my home station and a pro audio wireless mic on my mobile HF radio. The little processing which I do use on my HF radio's goes along way and it is done with each radio's own on board processing tailored for the bandwidth used in HF radio broadcasting.

Again, people I have heard with all kinds of outboard gear are compelled to over-use it and play mad scientist twisting all kinds of knobs and don't realize most of the EQ adjustments will fall out of the other ends receiver's bandwidth filter's anyhow. But as long as it sounds like FM in their headphones or talkback, it's good!

If you are not happy with your Cobra 148 , then get a real HF radio and that will sound far better on SSB than using that Cobra radio and trying to compensate with all kinds of outboard audio gear that was designed and intended for recording studios not radio.

Don't build or change anything. Buy something that does what you need. Don't experiment and learn something just buy and operate an appliance. I hear you loud and clear. All issues can be solved with a Ham Radio Outlet catalog and money. People who like to experiment are idiots unless they are working on something you're interested in.

Of course the HF radio will be better on SSB than a CB. Most HF rigs suck on AM and believe it or not some people have no interest SSB. Just because the people you've heard didn't sound good and got on your nerves is no reason to discourage someone from trying something different.

I wouldn't say I'm a MMM fan but don't have anything against the guy. I don't care for his audio processing and I've said this before. If you listen to his audio from the early years he had a good sound and then the processing got out of hand. No it doesn't cut through a pile up but that's of no interest to me. We all want different things out of this hobby.

You are a fan of all CBers that do things you don't like. You are obsessed with what the stupid CBers and their shenanigans. You have to come here and play reverend hambone. You only come tell us all what were doing wrong but you never offer anything useful. You have nothing useful to offer but you like to stir the pot. You remind me of Al Sharpton.

Don't build or change anything. Buy something that does what you need. Don't experiment and learn something just buy and operate an appliance. I hear you loud and clear. All issues can be solved with a Ham Radio Outlet catalog and money. People who like to experiment are idiots unless they are working on something you're interested in.

Of course the HF radio will be better on SSB than a CB. Most HF rigs suck on AM and believe it or not some people have no interest SSB. Just because the people you've heard didn't sound good and got on your nerves is no reason to discourage someone from trying something different.

I wouldn't say I'm a MMM fan but don't have anything against the guy. I don't care for his audio processing and I've said this before. If you listen to his audio from the early years he had a good sound and then the processing got out of hand. No it doesn't cut through a pile up but that's of no interest to me. We all want different things out of this hobby.

You are a fan of all CBers that do things you don't like. You are obsessed with what the stupid CBers and their shenanigans. You have to come here and play reverend hambone. You only come tell us all what were doing wrong but you never offer anything useful. You have nothing useful to offer but you like to stir the pot. You remind me of Al Sharpton.
Man, I am still laughing.
Well said,, Sir.

Reactions: footballbat

I offer plenty and have given plenty on this and on other threads, you just don't read and comprehend. These are my opinions expressed here based on just that, opinions and some facts too. That's what a forum is all about, Discussions, opinions, and facts.

You make ignorant statements backed up by name calling.

What's your point here???

If you buy the right radio with the right microphone you can sound 90% as good without wasting all the money :) Also a lot of the equipment run is unnecessary - those guys play king of the mountain same way people do with amps. Look at me, I have this running into this running into this running into this and so on and so on and they spend thousands on rack equipment.

100% correct. I worked in the engineering dept. of a commercial radio broadcasting station for 22 years and I have seen some ham/CB stations use a rack FULL of gear, much more than commercial stations, in that quest for "broadcast quality audio" which they THINK they achieved but never really did. There is more to that than frequency response. There is a thing called "presence" which is apparent on properly run broadcast stations (ie those NOT all processed to hell and back) that just cannot be obtained on ham or CB gear. They were never designed for that.

Reactions: fourstringburn
If they're using line level then they're shoving a volt or more into the circuit so its being way way overdriven.

Maybe not since the mic preamp and audio amp circuits are bypassed when injecting audio directly into the modulator. I know it's not a CB but my old IC-735 required a fairly high audio level if it was directly injected into the modulator via the rear panel AUX. jack.

Radio hobby is about experiment

Try new antenna,try new microphone,try a homebrew design,try to reach another country with a low power,etc....

Trial & Error Experiment

Is up to the radio operator/hobbyist/aficionado,etc. to experiment and maybe stumble or discover something new that can contribute to the hobby or his personal goal

At the end is about experiment

My 2 Pesos
Andy/Tecnicoloco

Reactions: wavrider
I don't have any outboard equipment nor racks, but I am told all the time that I have broadcast quality audio.

Thanks to the Kenwood TS-820/TS-830 and the MC-50 mic(y)

On Maui for a long time there was a guy with a Robyn T-240D and a desk mike and on the air he sounded better than any of "rack audio" people I hear on the air with overcompressed audio. The guy had a perfect voice for radio as well which helped but man was his audio so clean and it just cut through everything.

I don't have any outboard equipment nor racks, but I am told all the time that I have broadcast quality audio.

Thanks to the Kenwood TS-820/TS-830 and the MC-50 mic(y)

Me too!! I have the TS-820S with the MC-50 microphone and routinely joined in round-tables with fellow current/past broadcast engineers and they all complimented my audio. One was even my former boss in the industry and he knows what my voice should sound like. Most folks have a hard time recognizing truly good audio on the air and equate LOUD with good however these guys DO know good audio and I take stock in their opinions.

Coming from a previous profession where I installed and maintained very high end professional sound systems for the night club industry, I for one really like the HiFi sound that some CB and Ham stations have. Professional and studio audio was, and still is a fun hobby for me.

Heck, I run all JBL PRO Studio monitors as external speakers as I can not ween myself from the full fidelity presence that titanium makes. Hey, if you can even hear stations coming in as HiFi that's half the battle (y)

I pride myself on producing as High Fidelity audio as possible whenever, wherever. It was only natural for me, personally, to just spill it over into the radio hobby. That's what's going on :cool:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.