• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's good and what's crap these days?

hacksaw

Jan 25, 2009
I've read topics, searched forums, and the Web till I'm blue in the face. About the time I've made my mind up read to place an order, I read something else and I back off my order. This is my ultimate question which everyone on the forum has asked or answered more then once so I apologize in advance. BTW, if anyone has anything for sale please PM me. With all that said...

This is for mobile use, transceiver is a 1969 final version Magnum s9. Radio keys 2.5 to 3 watts on AM, swings to the max of what ever 1969 finals do. (Different watt meters so I'm not sure) SSB swings the same. Radio has very clean, natural loud audio using a 575m6 mic and using a Sirio P5000 mag mount it tuNed to 1.2 Swr on channel 1 and 1.3 on channel 40 with radio on full dead key power.

On a quiet morning around 6:30am, I can make 60 mile contact on SSB very easy to a base station. But if there is a touch of noise I get lost in the muck. So what I'm looking for is something that will get me over that hump, and sound clean on both AM and SSB, and last. I had a TNT 350 HD awhile back and had Swr trouble in my jeep. But, a Jeep isn't really a good vehicle for a high powered radio set up anyway. DX 350 HDV? Thanks in advance

What I would recommend would be a TNT 350hd or TNT 600, or TS500. But since you have had the 350 you can strike that off of your list. I think that radio maybe too much for the TS 350.

Yep the tnt 350hd is no slouch for what It is. I have an older magnaforce 350hd, same amp basically as the tnt350hd, and it kicks butt, I have run both a magnum 257hp and an optima mk3 into it and it never got or gets warm. The magnum did about 70watts pep and the optima mk3 does 50watts pep on SSB. On am the magnum would do 80watts, dead key set to 2 watts. Again the amp never had any issue with this. Keep the swr down below 1.2-1.3 max! My magnaforce will do about 300-350 pep on SSB and never had anyone tell me it sounded bad. You may have to play with coax length. But sounds like you need to get the antenna sutuated first. If you have the tnt 350hd still try a different jumper lenght between the radio and meter or amp. But I would first work on getting the current swr reading down to as low as possible. JMO.

On the tnt 350 keep the dead key around 1-2 watts max. Pep wattage shouldn't be an issue at all with the radio being used. You need to keep the amp on high as well. Don't use low, there isn't a lot of difference between the 2. If you can get your dead key down some it might help too.

And If the 667v you got coming has the mosfet drivers keep the dead key low and the pep down to about 15-20 watts max. again, JMO.

Yep the tnt 350hd is no slouch for what It is. I have an older magnaforce 350hd, same amp basically as the tnt350hd, and it kicks butt, I have run both a magnum 257hp and an optima mk3 into it and it never got or gets warm. The magnum did about 70watts pep and the optima mk3 does 50watts pep on SSB. On am the magnum would do 80watts, dead key set to 2 watts. Again the amp never had any issue with this. Keep the swr down below 1.2-1.3 max! My magnaforce will do about 300-350 pep on SSB and never had anyone tell me it sounded bad. You may have to play with coax length. But sounds like you need to get the antenna sutuated first. If you have the tnt 350hd still try a different jumper lenght between the radio and meter or amp. But I would first work on getting the current swr reading down to as low as possible. JMO.
Only had Swr problems years ago on a jeep. My current Sirio p5000 is setting at 1.2 and is very broadband at that.

If you have issues with swr on the 667 or any other amp, make sure to ground the amp case, and also try different coax jumper lengths. Tnis may resolve your swr issue with the amp in line.

I've read topics, searched forums, and the Web till I'm blue in the face. About the time I've made my mind up read to place an order, I read something else and I back off my order. This is my ultimate question which everyone on the forum has asked or answered more then once so I apologize in advance. BTW, if anyone has anything for sale please PM me. With all that said...

This is for mobile use, transceiver is a 1969 final version Magnum s9. Radio keys 2.5 to 3 watts on AM, swings to the max of what ever 1969 finals do. (Different watt meters so I'm not sure) SSB swings the same. Radio has very clean, natural loud audio using a 575m6 mic and using a Sirio P5000 mag mount it tuNed to 1.2 Swr on channel 1 and 1.3 on channel 40 with radio on full dead key power.

On a quiet morning around 6:30am, I can make 60 mile contact on SSB very easy to a base station. But if there is a touch of noise I get lost in the muck. So what I'm looking for is something that will get me over that hump, and sound clean on both AM and SSB, and last. I had a TNT 350 HD awhile back and had Swr trouble in my jeep. But, a Jeep isn't really a good vehicle for a high powered radio set up anyway. DX 350 HDV? Thanks in advance
I have an old Dave 3000 in a small box. Was used for years by Roto Rooter NJ in his Jeep Wrangler. Nothing is impossible. Just takes a little more time and aluminum.

I have an old Dave 3000 in a small box. Was used for years by Roto Rooter NJ in his Jeep Wrangler. Nothing is impossible. Just takes a little more time and aluminum.
This was 4 years ago. I no longer have that vehicle or any equipment that was in that jeep

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.