• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

whats the difference?

I think what Doc said makes a lot of sense. My first thoughts about the instructors and the HT was that they may have thought that an Amateur HT is a lot more complicated to explain real quick as compared to say a hand held CB . There are a lot of little combination of buttons to make things happen and each HT is different . So I wouldn't take it to heart .

Thanks for the advice.

-=ben

Hello,
I feel your pain.

I have been into radio for many years now, and have never gotten so far as to actually take the test. I have run into some of the same problems as you. My advice is to get online and find some local clubs, as I did, and bug the hell out of them till you finally find a person who is really into the spirit of ham radio. I shotgunned emails, and after quite a while, two people finally took me seriously. I am going to the local ham fest this following weekend to meet these guys, and starting classes in two weeks to prepare for my testing. (y) But I have been trying for quite a while to connect to someone helpful, and I almos gave up once again, till I recieved the emails, one took almost two monthes to respond.

Dont give up if you really want it, and remember the earlier advice about getting help here and on other web sites. (Just dont be gullible.)

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I used to live in Florida. I was in Ft. Laudedale, Aventura, and Plantation. My wife is a travel nurse and we get around the country. Hawaii, Florida, and Portland Oregon are my favorites so far. Did a lot of scuba diving on the reef from Key West all the way to north Palm Beach.

Thanks again.

-=ben

It took me 20yrs to finally get back around to getting my ticket.

I don't want this to happen to me. But, I'm stubborn, so all I think I needed was some encouragement and to know that you guys are here and you try to help with advice when you can. I'm a teacher. I love to learn something new and share it with many others. In fact, I just bought a dual band used form a guy on the net. I'm going to use it as a gift for my little bro to help as an incentive to get him into this hobby too. He looks up to me and I know that I can talk to him about this when I get it down, and he will follow. Especially, if he won't have to buy his first radio when he passes the technician exam.

Thanks,

-=ben

I was on my own back in 1959 as far as radio goes, and there weren't any VHF/UHF HTs available. So with my novice license and SX-99 receiver, and an ARRL Handbook, I built a 50-watt (input, which was probably 30 watts output), single crystal transmitter. I got the information out of a book; there was no Internet, cell phones or anything like that back then.

My point? It's up to you, not everybody else. I, personally, don't carry an HT with me wherever I go. I do have a couple of them, and I have radios in my two cars and one at home.

As far as Kenwood/Icom/Yaesu radios, they ARE all basically the same thing. Controls in different locations, bells and whistles might be different from brand to brand and model to model, but they are basically radios, and they basically do what radios basically are supposed to do.

Again: it's up to you.

Your right, it is up to me to pursue this hobby. Thanks for your opinion.

-=ben

Welcome to the forum bjpell. Your situation is not all that uncommon, unfortunately. Ham radio is just like anything else: there are a lot of good people and also a lot of jerks and you just have to wade through it all to find those whose personality meshes with your own. I've had help from a few people over the years and also had to do a lot on my own and I'm certainly no expert on anything.

This is one of the reasons that motivates me to keep this site going, and it's why we have a lot of great contributors. Feel free to ask any questions you like. We (the collective forum) may not have all the answers, but we certainly do the best we can. Who knows, maybe in a bit, you'll be the guy answering questions for the new guys.

BTW, did you already buy an HT or are you still trying to decide?

Thanks you. To answer your question: I just bought a Yeasu VX-8R, the mic & GPS atachments. Should arrive on Thursday (tomorow). I plan on this summer getting (I believe its called) the FT857. It looks like it is small and can work on my desk and in my truck.

Thanks again,

-=ben

Besides you have found one of the best place on the net to get help.(y)

Thanks, and I think your right.

I like your signature. I made my wife promise me before we got married that I can buy a Barrett .50cal and a new motorcycle when I got out of school. Well school ends this August and I already have picked out booth! 2009 Yamaha R1, and the Barrett M95 .50cal. Bikes already on order...

You're missing the point. To be indoctinated into hamdome, you must first pass these initial tests.

Just wait till you get on the air for some real hazing...

People are people and there are all kinds in every walk of life. You just got caught up with "those" people. Find some that you like, either one's that are already into the hobby and your needs, or ones that you can bring with you.

If it's not that important to you, then find something else.

Now, if I had been there, I would have shown you everything I know about my HT (it's a rather simple device), and probably try to find out what you want or expect from ham radio.

That's exactly what I thought they would have done. Hell, I thought I put myself in a spot where they could try and pawn off some of their old equipment on me too. I brought the checkbook and was willing to spend some cash to get a radio if they wanted to sell me somthing that would have gotten me started in this hobby. Oh well, there loss in the long run not mine.

Thanks for you thoughts.

-=ben

That Yaesu 857 is a good little radio. IMO, it's a little more complicated to use than some because of the way the menus work, but that's the trade-off you make for something that is so small. There are quite a few folks here that either have that radio or have used it, so when you get it going, feel free to ask for help or just tell us what you think about it!

Oh yeah, don't forget to post some pictures of your setup once you get it all going!

Sorry I picked up on this thread kinda late in the game, but I'd like to add my comments anyway....

First off congrats to bjpell for passing the test, and weldome to the world of amateur radio.....(y)

When I first got into this hobby back in 1988, I to was graduating from CB,but the old codgers in the testing room padded me on the back and showed me respect for making the effort to move up into HAM, of course back then you had to do it with a 5wpm code test, but that was then, and this is now, and the code thing is irrellavent.

When I first got on the 2m repeaters I ran into some friendly and helpful hams, and some Armchair radio lawyers that couldn't wait to puke up a bunch of part 97 rule violations I either made, or they assumed I would make because I had just come from the CB bands, and still had a lot of CB jargen engrained in me that I han't yet lost. I'll never forget the time I said "10-4 good buddy" on a 2m repeater net, and no less than 10 guys chewed me out for 20 minutes straight. It was the very first net I ever checked into, and I felt 2 inches tall when the smoke cleared. Finally one decent ham got on and chastised the rest for chewing me out, he then explained that I was brand new to the hobby, and it would take some time to break old (CB) habbits, and to cut me some slack. He also pointed out to one guy that he would have never figured out how to get on the air if the guys in the club didn't spend hours showing him how to do just about everything ham related.

Like anything else in life, you'll have your decent one's, and you'll have your assclowns that think they are supirior to you because you are new. Don't let the assclowns get you down, find the decent guys (or girls) in the hobby, and pick thier brains. I've made a few good friendships from this hobby, there's still plenty of good people in it, you just have to find them......

I was on 75m and for some reason gave out a call using my CB SSB #'s.:blink: I scooted out real quick. I didn't think my embarrassed spirit could bare to have waited for a response . But it's all good and it helps us to remember what we did when hearing someone else make a mistake. It all goes back to treating others as you want to be treated. Just have fun and help the next guy and don't be afraid to still ask questions .(y)

Snobby Hams..lots of them..

BjPell,, I have to agree that there are tons of hams that think just because they have their TICKET they think they are SPECIAL.. they in my opinon have a ATTITUDE.. wow.. how did they learn????????????????????????????????????????????? makes me UPSET.. it boils down to that they think they are Speical.. and it most cases, they are very unsociable.. just my opinion' but it 's like that in my neighborhood.. it is a BIG TURN OFF.. :headbang

Yes, most Hams, not all are Snobs.. I learned that along time ago.. I don't understand but that is how it works.. I would HELP anyone.. How did they LEARN.. ????????? N7JGN... they think they are SPECIAL.. why is THAT??? N7JGN

I wouldn't get discouraged there's many ways to get info. In short time you most likely will find some Amateur friends on the air.

Don't get discouraged either the first time you get on the repeater give your call sign and say monitoring, and wait and wait and no one comes back to you either. Remember that feeling and the next time you hear someone give their call and say monitoring make sure you give them a call back even if you're busy. I make it a point to always answer even if it's just a quick hello, exchange of name. I hate the fact that this is a communication hobby yet many don't seem to want to communicate, they only want to talk to their own little group.

So enjoy the hobby find the info where you can, believe it or not their are lots of amateurs around that will give you assistance.

You might want to give the Icom IC-7000 a look while looking at your FT-857 too.

I just got a Yaesu VX-8R and love it, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. One thing I suggest is get at least one of the 1800 mAh batteries, it is a pig on batteries and I only get about 8-12 hours on the 1800.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.