• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's the purpose?

GnG8d

Jun 28, 2010
Ohio
I have a SB200 tore down and I noticed that someone pulled a 68uuf cap off of ground, and then jumped the 10m input coil with a 100uuf cap. Exactly what did they think they were gaining?

DSC03703copy.jpg

Keep in mind the SB200 was designed to be used with tube rigs per say, The transciever had a plate and load so it could match a broad range.

Todays solid state rigs do not like the high VSWR input of the SB200, especially on 10 and 15 meters. 20 through 80 can usually be tuned with the slug to give a decent input vswr.

Google SB200 mods, Some dutch amp guru has a great sight on reworking the input section of that SB200. Rewinding the 10 meter coil and changing a few caps to different values. Now my SB200 has a nice 1:1 input and covers the entire band with less than an 1.8:1

sb200eng
There is the link, I followed the mod for the input, worked great.

sb200eng
There is the link, I followed the mod for the input, worked great.
Thanks for that link, I'll read it tonight. I'm looking for a parasitic choke design too, I'm not going to use the Rick Measures choke design.

I decided to go through this thing from the power cord to the antenna jack with the schematic and a meter. As beetle said, these 40 year old carbon composite are all being replaced with new carbon composite in the RF cage, and a mix of ceramic composite and metal film elewhere. There are only a couple electrolytic caps outside of the power supply, but those are being changed out as well (filter caps and bleeders are already updated). I'm spot checking a few mica caps, but I'm not too concerned with them.

Anyway, with my head buried in the amp, I couldn't see the forest for the trees, the amp came from a CBer, so I'm sure it's 11m meter tuning, but yes mack, it could be old age creeping in :blink:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.