• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

what's wrong

AE5RD

Reformed CB'er
May 4, 2005
I don't know what's wrong with me anymore. I haven't picked up a mic in a year. My tower needs serious work and I can't get the motivation to fix my antennas. I pawned my 16 pill and my radio room is a mess. It like nothing interests me anymore. I go to my job and i'm on auto pilot. My brother killed himself in a carwreck in 2002, he exhibited the same symptoms. Is depression hereditary?

It's up to you.

You can let external events control you, or maybe you just need some time to adjust to the things we all get hurt by.

Regardless, I wish you well.

Depression can be hereditary, but it doesn't have to be.

Never think you are weak if you decide to seek help.

obviously i dont know you, but im going to guess that you talk yourself out of things quite often.

like, an idea will come along and before you get started, you have already come up with all the reasons why it wont work or is not even worth trying.

this is a form of mental conditioning, and just like physical conditioning; the longer you do it; the better at it you get.

what eventually ends up happening is that your thoughts become like a tape loop repeating in your head, and it happens so fast that you dont even notice it happening anymore.

think about it. we all know how powerful our brains are. do you think it takes more than a half a second for a whole series of negative thoughts to cross our minds?

the good news is that you can change it.
the first step is to create a new internal dialogue.
the next time you find yourself unable to get up off the couch after thinking of something you want/need to get done; tell yourself, "im not going to trust that part of my brain that is telling me this isnt worth doing."
and do it anyway.
get up right at that moment, and do something.
who cares if you finish.
starting is the point.

remember that episode of seinfeld where george costanza does the opposite of what his instincts tell him, and it ends up working quite well for him?

its kind of like that.

you need to re-write your "tape loop".
i think you will find that once you get a small taste of success, that it suits you.

if you are using alcohol or drugs to self medicate, its time to take a break and learn to enjoy the feeling of sobriety again.
it actually feels pretty good!!!
and its hard to change anything when you are engaged in old habits.

you are a very powerful person, you just need to channel that power for something positive.

just do it!!!

good luck to you,
LC

Make an appointment to see your doctor. NOW! Be honest with him. If it is depression, (which it sure sounds like), he can help!!!

Good Luck.

True,go see your doctor.My Father{now a silent key} wb0lcx,when he passed away,i was off the air for close to a year.I talked to him daily on the way to and from work,and at work when i wasnt on a call,on the radio. Dont get rid of anymore of your radios.I was sorry when i did.They are hard to replace.Join a local radio club,or hang around other radio opperators,cb,ham...but see someone about the depression,i did.And am better.73s de JW p.s. feel free to email,or pm me John/n0zna

Last edited:
depression

I have an appointment to see the doc at the VA Clinic. It might be a side effect of a medication i'm taking.Anyways thanks to those who replied. I've never felt like this before. I am just kinda numb to everything. I guess i'd better get my antennas fixed and start listening to static. That should make me feel better.

I have an appointment to see the doc at the VA Clinic. It might be a side effect of a medication i'm taking.Anyways thanks to those who replied. I've never felt like this before. I am just kinda numb to everything. I guess i'd better get my antennas fixed and start listening to static. That should make me feel better.
Better than a metronome.

Good luck to you, I've known several people that suffered from depression and once they were under a doctor's everything seemed fine.

VA

Saw the doc today and she thinks it is a definate problem with my meds. The VA had me on Gabpentin. She was going to double the dose until I TOLD HER ABOUT MY MOOD CHANGES. Anyways I feel alot beter knowing it's not me. She also scheduled a LAB to check my testosterone level. Men go thru the change of life also.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.