• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's your favorite 'vintage' CB rig?

Looks like this. It's on EBay.
Starting bid is $14.99 + $22 shipping
Listed as new old stock
40 channels AM

61 38081#

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Artie Windjamer bk ny hooked me up with my first real radio.

My brother got into cb in or about 1970. He was 8 years old. It stated witha Lafayette walkie talkie. And slowly evolved. A few years later I got hooked. My first radio was a midland using a R.S. 12 volt power supply n a big stick"which I wish I still owned" went through a few other mobiles until 81. At that point I went from a weekend warrior to cant wait to turn on the radio. Artie Windjamer was a very private person. Being he was running a Johnson Viking 500 and vas a legend in two states and all 5 boros. In 77 I started attending breaks at watsons. A burger joint on bayparkway. One day there was a knock on my door. It was Artie. In his hands was the most beautify radio id every seen. A sonar 2340 with A silver eagle d 104 and a 100 watt amp with the power supply. He said kid this radios all u. He exsplained it came from a chick named Joanne who bought it new and had a child soon after and had no use for it. "I'm giving u first shot. U want it" I remember staring at it like it was Jane Mansfield, NAKED! He says I thought so. $150 for the whole set up! He hung around long enough to hook it up for me and was on his way. That was the day my love of tube radios began. I now own at least 1 of every sonar cb. I also own a working Viking ranger valiant n thunderbolt. Which I hope to fire up as soon as I get my antenna up. Truth b told I'm most happy using my 2340 n Palomar 300. From the reports I used to get the audio was second to none. I also bought a Collins kws1. I bought it from a guy in pa he knew it was gonna b used on 11 meters n I believe he sabotaged the 11 meter band. I never got it running and sold it for what I paid for it $550. In 97 I moved to Fla. N had a few gambling debts. So I sold it to a kid named penny who lived up the block from Artie. For many years he asked and I promised him if I ever sold it he would get first shot. It couldnt go to a nicer kid. In 2000 I moved back to bk n began buying the radios I had sold n the one I alway wanted but couldnt afford. Now that I'm in a position to buy them. I do. Well that was a long story to express my opinion that the SONAR 2340 although only using a pair of skinny 6bq5's for modulation has the most clearest cleanest loudest audio of any 40 channel am only cb radio ever made. And the nuvista frontend receives like no other radio I've ever heard. RIP ARTIE N THANKS FOR THE MEMORYS. CHANNEL 15 BROOKLYN NOO YAWK.

Reactions: 1 person
I wasn't even born when you guys were operating on all these great radios. I have been learning about new radios, antennas ect. I have no knowledge about these older radios, unfortunately. I want to get into these old tube style vintage radios. I don't know where to start. Can you guys tell me some top base radio and also mobile recommendations?

Any help appreciated
Thanks
Nick

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.