• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's your favorite 'vintage' CB rig?

Old tube radios? Gotta love 'em. Just understand that they are that - old- and have probably suffered at the hands of countless golden screwdrivers. Even if you find one that is near-new it's still likely to need some work, most likely in the power supply section.

Having said that, here are a couple of my tube favorites that won't set you back too much. Remember, these are all 23 channel rigs so if you want more then you will need to add an external VFO or a crystal box.

Pearce-Simpson Guardian 23, 23B or 23C.

Robyn 'The Executive' Most of these were made in yellow but occasionally you find one in green. Some of the later models were 40 Channel Also consider it's sister radios the Gemtronix (Forget the number).

Any of the older tube-type Johnsons are a good choice.

The old Lafayette Comstat 25B is a good starting place as well.

If you have a bit more to spend you can't go wrong with a well-maintained (or rebuilt) Tram or Browning.

Expect to pay more for a radio in top condition.

Whichever you choose, always be aware that there are lethal voltages inside it. If you aren't comfortable working around and inside them, find someone who is.

There's no sensation quite like plate modulation!

I know there are some that poo-poo the Robyn, but I had one, and bought another one later (long story). The T-240D has pretty darned good channel rejection, and good audio with a D-104 or Turner +2 or +3. Not a ton of power out of them, but they sound good. There are still some out there in good working order. As Atlasta mentioned, the "cousin" radio Gemtronix, Teaberry, and a couple others I think. Best are I recall, they were made by Panasonic. Watch out for heat... keep them cool with a couple of computer fans.

RT307

I had always heard the Robyn, Gemtronix, Teaberry etc. radios were built off of a Kenwood chassi but perhaps that is incorrect.

I have done some work on my 2010 Uniden 78. I am okay with working on radios. Explain what I would need to work on these older radios. Do you recommend any shop that I could send it too, like does DTB work on older ones? Think I have narrowed my search down to the Robyn Executive or Teaberry Dispatch. I will keep my eye out for a Tram or Browning on eBay though.

Tube-type radios generate a lot of heat and heat kills components. Add in the age of the units and you often wind up with dried-out capacitors and resistors. Often the internal wiring will need to be replaced as will the external power cord.

Parts can be hard to source and some tubes are quite unavailable.

For anything tube-related contact Alan at www.tubesplus.com. He specializes in tube amplifiers but might be able to put you in touch with someone who works on the old tube rigs.

If you go with a Tram or Browning, buy the best example of one you can find that isn't obscenely priced. Then contact the folks at Barkett Electronics Barkett Electronics Home Page and talk to them about rebuilding it. They did my D201A and it's now better than new.

As far as microphones go, the Plus 3 is a good mic but remember they have age on them too and the mic elements don't last forever. I've several +3s, Super Sidekicks and even a Sidekick 100 that are in need of repair- either the element has gone bad, the preamp board failed or the leaf-switch has worn out.

For a tube rig consider a D-104. If your radio has a mic gain control get the unamplifed G stand, not the amplified T-UG stand.

I have a couple of options. Save my paycheck for a couple of months and get a browning or tram. Two get a Teaberry or executive. Finally I could get a new cobra 29 or uniden 980. Would the executive or teaberry have better audio than the newer radios? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I just don't have any knowledge about these older radios. I know the browning and tram will beat these other radios. I don't know if I could justify a 700 dollar radio+having to rebuild it. If you guys think the tram or browning is going to be unbelievably better, then I think I could find a way justify it though :).

Opinions? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks again
Nick

Last edited:
There's no sensation quite like plate modulation!

It's more than a tag line, it's an absolute. People spend incredible amounts of money on processing equipment for solid state rigs attempting to approximate the sound that can only come from a tube. It's more than just loud. Anyone can do loud. Nothing else sounds like tube audio. It just sounds warmer. Describing it is difficult but if you have ever heard a tube rig OTA you just know it.

At the $700 level you shouldn't have to do very much to a radio but you do want to get it checked out. Be extremely careful with anything you buy from ebay. Try to find one locally that you can personally evaluate before laying down any cash. Travel if you have to.

Unless it was something brand new I have yet to purchase anything radio-related on ebay that arrived exactly as described. Typically things needed some type of work. I have learned to ask a LOT of questions about the unit before bidding. If the seller can't or won't answer them, move on. Not saying all ebay sellers are scammers but there is a fair amount of misrepresentation going on. Avoid anything that says ' powers on, but no further testing done'.

Trams and Brownings have their trouble spots as any radio does. With Trams it's normally the channel selector or the BA board. The former is known to be weak and the latter usually gets baked because it's right next to the transformer. Channel selectors are completely unobtainable- the last NOS one went for something like $200+ a few years ago. With a bad channel selector a Tram is pretty much useless because the internal VFO needs the channel selector to work. I suppose it would be possible to rig up some type of external tuning setup and make the thing work but generally if a Tram has a bad channel selector, stay away from it.

I'm less familiar with Brownings but I do know that they have their issues as well. Education is the key here. By now you should be reading everything you can find on these radios. Maybe check out this site:GRUMPY'S OLDE TIME RADIO FORUM / The Best CB Radio Forum on the Net for Browning/Tram & Classic Tube Type Radio Information - Login, there is a lot of good info on the classics there. You will have to register for it but it's no big deal.

Unless you have an interest in SSB you don't have to spend the big bucks for a Tram or Browning. The Robyn is a fine radio. So is the Sonar base but be careful with those, especially the 40-channel version because it seems that no two are exactly alike and some can be quite problematic.

At some point you are going to want a solid state rig as well just to monitor things. I keep a modded 148 GTL on the desk to listen so I don't have to let the Tram sit there and idle. Tube rigs do take a while to warm up and stabilize and I don't like turning them on and off unnecessarily. The 980 is a sweet rig but I'm not all that crazy about the 29LX which IMO is over-rated. Open one up and you will see the same basic board that has been in all 29s for years. The case is prettier and color-changing lights are fun, but at root it's still just a 29 and if that's all you want then just buy the classic version.

If you are just starting out and want to get your feet wet with tube rig then the Robyn, Gemtronix or Teaberry is a good place to start, just make sure that you are getting a good one. It took many, many years for me to work up to the setup I have now (see the posting about it here: http://www.worldwidedx.com/cb-band-cb-radios/154444-last.html) but that's part of the fun IMO.

One other thing: Tube radios are HEAVY and require special packaging. Shipping can be quite costly. This is another reason to personally go and see the thing before purchase.

Reactions: My3kidsfather
Thank you so much. You've talked me into a tube radio. Just started a new job and don't get paid for a little bit. When I do get serious about one on eBay, I will post some pictures on here. Have you look it over, if you would. Probably get one in 4 weeks.

I have a sears road-talker 40 am black face base radio
and surprisingly an Eversonic radio .The Eversonic bought from EBay for $10 has incredible reception and audible.

Love my old uniden grant and pc122xl!!! Great ssb radios. Especially the 122, packs a big punch for a small radio and clean audio to boot.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.