• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What's your favorite 'vintage' CB rig?

1978 Cobra 87 GTL. bought new in box on Ebay. 80 bucks. AUDIO MONSTER.
everyone that hears this thing asks if it's for sale. i also still have my first 87 i bought in 78! if you see one on Ebay, you wont be dissapointed if you buy it.

Attachments

• cobra 1.jpg
    cobra 1.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 20
  • cobra 4.jpg
    cobra 4.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 15
  • cobra 5.jpg
    cobra 5.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 15
  • cobra 6.jpg
    cobra 6.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 15
Well I have few but not I am not sure how they compare as being the best: Courier Galaxy, Browning Sabre & Baron, Tram Diamond 60 and soon a D62 ( I hope) Cobra 138, Uniden Grant XL, & a Cobra 29A.

My Cobra89XLR is still running great, in great condition aswell, They made them in 1977, mine is a full 40 channel PLL.

T23

Had a few that I REALLY liked:TRAM D-201(hand wired),BROWNING "GOLDEN EAGLE" MKIII & MKII,REALISTIC TRC-48(with an EXPANDER BOX).In this order of FAVORITES! The TRC-48 was ALMOST as LOUD as the TRAM D-201 when both were used with a D-104!Have a UNIDEN "WASHINGTON" now & I rate it BELOW all of those listed above for audio & a HOT receiver.The D-201 was BY FAR the BEST of them all(NOT EVEN CLOSE)!

SIX-SHOOTER

For the AM side it was a cobra 89, audio beast
SSB has to be the TRC 458 Black Eagle, Cobra 139XLR has same chassis, both excellant receive and wonderful sounding audio on tx.

I have yet to find a 70's era CB that I didn't like.

My current favorites are a 1975 Pearce-Simpson Bengal SSB 23 channel base and a Regency CR-123B SSB 23 channel base. Both are basically the same radio since the Regency is a relabeled Pearce-Simpson with a few minor cosmetic changes. Pair them up with power desk mics like the D-104 or Turner +3 and they are the best sounding radios on the air.

Best thing is I have $20 invested in both of them and that includes the power desk mics :)

Who says 23 channel radios are dead? I get just as much enjoyment out of these old rigs than anything new on the market today.

I will admit I'm a bit partial to my newer Uniden Washington.

70's stuff... For a vintage base, I have my near minty Royce 1-642 AM/SSB base with the matching Royce 2-080 desk mic. Great radio and mic combo.

Mobile-wise, I'd have to go with the Cobra 138A, or the Midland 13-893. I have 1 of each radio, both in great shape. The Midland goes from Ch 1 to 27.555, and the Cobra goes from 26.765 - 27.505.

80's Stuff... base-wise, I'd go with the Cobra 2000 GTL for the base. Always enjoyed them.

Mobiles, I'd go with the Cobra 146GTL. Superb TX/RX and stands right on frequency.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.