• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where do you get good jumpers?

codeman

Recovering Crackerhead
Jul 10, 2011
I seem to have problems getting good coax jumpers. Last time I bought some expensive ones and I'm not sure they are any better then truckstop jumpers.

I need some that can handle 500 watts. I am careful not to get them in a pinch or bind. But I notice my recieve going in and out and when I would key up sometimes it would barely move the needle on the watt meter. I found the culprit jumper and replaced it. Now it works fine.

I have had this problem before. So am I running too much power through the coax or what.?

I always make them myself not saving money on coax and connectors.
Take the time to make them measure twice and test them out.
Specially connectorss there is a lot of bad stuff out there chinese junk.
Amphenol, silvered ones are the best i noticed after 45 years of making my own stuff, expensive but no problems.
Over the years i made a lot of them PL259 N connectors etc.
I run moderate power here 1000 watts never had one fail me though.
Skimping money on your jumpers or any antenna stuff can get very costly if things go wrong, so do it well.

20211205_141609.jpg There are bogus Amphenol connectors out there so be careful.
If the barrel is crosshatched but smooth its not right. It will fit most so239's but there are some it will not tighten down on.
The problems ive had are with the Silver plated model number 083-1sp-1050 connector fitting on some export radios so239's, galaxy, connex and ranger.
I stay with the Amphenol 182116 purchased only from Mouser to ensure im not buying knockoffs, again...
Dont waste your money at the internet ham radio outlets or supply sites. You can generally trust dx engineering and rf parts though i wouldnt suggest buying any vintage vacuum tubes from rf parts.

Last edited:
I wish you would have asked before I ordered from HRO..........

Lots of options out there, I usually walk away when the shipping exceeds 25-30% of the actual item cost.

I take care of every aspect of my stations but transmission line? Meh, i hate making em if i dont have to. I rather pay a prifessional to make them. Besides, 1/2" and 5/8" line isnt easy. Anyway check out engineering or mpd digital (aka:usa coax). its where i get mine, excellent quality and workmanship. Your gonna pay but meh, this hobby aint cheap if you want it done right.

Last edited:
Guys, I know this has been brought up before, so not to beat a dead horse. Many moons ago all good 75 ohm TV cables connectors were crimped on. I remember having a very good tool to do a clean hexagon crimp. Then they developed the compression fittings than Comcast uses, and if you mention doing a crimp connect, the cable guy looks and you like you asked to date his daughter. I never recall a problem with the Hexagon crimp, it was better than the twist on connectors. I forget who here mentioned using crimp connections. What tool and brand of connectors work well for crimp? I just does not feel right having to order jumpers or not making my own cable runs for my antenna. My ex-father-in-law was an Air Force radio man in Vietnam. He allows told me that he ran a broom during the war, but he has explained more than once that they always crimped everything.

Reactions: codeman
I make my own with RG-400 and good crimp-on connectors. RG-400 handles a ton of power and has teflon as the center insulator, so if you choose to solder on a connector, you will not melt the insulation. The jacket is also UV rated and will likely last your entire life if left out in the sun. RFParts.com has both in stock. If you do not plan to bend or move the jumper much, it's dollar cheaper twin RG-142 is a bit stiffer with a solid center conductor and has a tad less loss (not that you'll notice on 11m).

https://www.rfparts.com/rg400-mil17-therm.html
https://www.rfparts.com/182310.html

I take care of every aspect of my stations but transmission line? Meh, i hate making em if i dont have to. I rather pay a prifessional to make them. Besides, 1/2" and 5/8" line isnt easy. Anyway check out engineering or mpd digital (aka:usa coax). its where i get mine, excellent quality and workmanship. Your gonna pay but meh, this hobby aint cheap if you want it done right.

Yep, in this hobby if you want to run with the big dogs you gotta bring your wallet off the porch with you lol.
People see a $20 plus shipping price tag on a 3 foot jumper and get all bent out of shape.
Gotta figure decent connectors are $7 each and coax near $1/foot or more depending on type. Thats $17 not including the time and material to assemble it. I bitched at first until i started making my own and saw the real cost.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated