• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Where to go from here?

ND88,
I haven't read all of this thread so I'm probably duplicating a lot that's been said. So, take it for what it's worth.
What it boils down to is that if you can't hear'em, you can't work'em, period. So, up-grade your antenna system (easiest/cheapest way out) to start with. That means bigger antennas to some ridiculous point. For a mobile, that's not very practical at all. More practical for a 'base' station, sort of. But that's what it amounts to in the long run.
Then worry about -them- hearing you, which typically means more power. (Not really, but close enough.)
After that it's a matter of picking the right time and frequency. If 'they' ain't there then they can't hear you and you aren't gonna hear them, right? That means that you are going to be keeping some weird hours! If both of you aren't awake... see where that's going?
And then you get to 'battle' with 'Momma Nature' and 'her' propagation. There's so much variation in that, that it's almost impossible to predict. Oh well, it wouldn't be fun if it was easy, right?
If you're really 'taken' with all that 'DX' stuff, then why not try other bands? Meaning that you'll have to get one'a them licenses, take tests, have rules to go by. Yeah, nasty thought, huh? Oh well, gotta live with it to satisfy some 'bad habits', right?
Have fun, that's the whole point...
- 'Doc

Lol, man I don't no where you get the idea on a ss whip been on the bumper been hard to tune......Ive ran mine on the bumper for years, and used mini 8 coax, or 8x coax....have even used RG 213 coax, but don't recommend it...

Don't no what everyone else does to get the swr below a 1.5, but Ive always did my ground work, and ran short grd straps off the 4 corners of the bed, cab, and so on to the frame......and ran a ground strap off the antenna mount and went to the frame with it and the swr has always dropped to a 1.1 or less....these are a good antenna, but they tend to hit everything....ran one of these whips for years and had it hooked up this way....

U have to have a good antenna system to talk, the power helps but it starts with the antenna system..

Last antenna I ran on my truck was a Predator 10k, another great antenna to use also..

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I used to have a 102" with spring on a rear bumper mount on a truck. Swr was 1.2,very directional but useful if you used it as a beam antenna to talk on the fringe of radio range. Now,if and when I get a full size picked up truck,I would run a 102" off the rear bumper and have a Sirio PL5000 hard mounted on the roof and use a antenna switch. Best of both worlds.

Reactions: 2 people
I think the major problem is being in the right place at the right time . I think his QTH is Oklahoma , being in RI at present I'm not getting a lot of DX out of there myself .

Sent from my NB09 using Tapatalk

Lol, man I don't no where you get the idea on a ss whip been on the bumper been hard to tune......Ive ran mine on the bumper for years, and used mini 8 coax, or 8x coax....have even used RG 213 coax, but don't recommend it...

If you read my reply I said that if it does tune down it is because there are a lot of ground losses because of where it is positioned. Lossy installs always give a low SWR but the numbers that make it up aren't good.

Answer me this question: If you put an antenna analyser on it, what is the value of R when X=0 or at its lowest point? 50? Just because you have low SWR doesn't mean that its working well. A dummy load has 1.0:1 SWR but makes a poor antenna.

Don't no what everyone else does to get the swr below a 1.5, but Ive always did my ground work, and ran short grd straps off the 4 corners of the bed, cab, and so on......

Not mount a vertical antenna a few inches away from a vertical sheet of steel which is being used as the ground plane. What you're doing is pretty much the equivalent of laying your antenna on the floor. If you have a home base do you use the antenna laid on the floor or is it up in the air clear of the ground?

NOOOOOOOOO..

That is THE WORST place possible to mount it. Its shadowed by the body which makes tuning it harder and because of the lower height you can lose as much as 6dBi over it being in the centre of the roof. If you have no problems tuning it on a bumper mount that isn't a good thing as it means you have a lot of ground loss.
While I don't always agree with M0GVC, in this I must say he is right. I run a SS whip on the top rail of my box for 10 meters and sometimes 12 meters with an extender. I have done basic bonding (grounding) and run my Optima at about 35 watts with a huge success. Keep it high and clean mounted. If you are sitting in 1 spot, make it high in elevation.

Well for starters, I don't have a antenna analyzer, and have been used to setting my swr in another way.....this way may not be the right way, but it has worked for me since the late 70s and haven't messed anything up yet...

And as for it talking, has talked great over the years....

Someday when I can afford to buy one of those analyzers Ill get me one, but until then this is how I will set mine up..

Well for starters, I don't have a antenna analyzer, and have been used to setting my swr in another way.....this way may not be the right way, but it has worked for me since the late 70s and haven't messed anything up yet...

And as for it talking, has talked great over the years....

Someday when I can afford to buy one of those analyzers Ill get me one, but until then this is how I will set mine up..
Maybe your location and what they put on the roads in the winter, but a couple of friends back east were having weekly SWR trouble shooting sessions with their trucks. Once moved from the bumper to the box problems went away.

10-4, if your talking about what they use on the roads, winter time just use salt on the roads......as far as mounting a ss whip and spring on the rear bumper, Ive always check the swr after it was all hooked up, with just the radio in line, the swr usually runs a 1.5 to maybe a 1.7....

And if its ever been any higher than this, its due to a problem with a PL connector or the plastic bushing that's on the bottom at the mount....at least this is what Ive ran into, but no other problems getting the swr down....

When its on the bumper, and the swr is around a 1.5...Ive always just used a piece of braided ground strap, ran it off the mount and to the frame and its dropped down....

Don't know if the type vehicle has ever made a differences in this but Ive always owned a F-150 4x4 trucks, all down through the years..and there bumpers have all been flat on the top rear bumper...

Makes no odds. Its the metal underneath the antenna that counts.

Answer me this question. What kind of range do you get say mobile to mobile or mobile to base and what kind of power are you using to get it?

ND88,
I haven't read all of this thread so I'm probably duplicating a lot that's been said. So, take it for what it's worth.
What it boils down to is that if you can't hear'em, you can't work'em, period. So, up-grade your antenna system (easiest/cheapest way out) to start with. That means bigger antennas to some ridiculous point. For a mobile, that's not very practical at all. More practical for a 'base' station, sort of. But that's what it amounts to in the long run.
Then worry about -them- hearing you, which typically means more power. (Not really, but close enough.)
After that it's a matter of picking the right time and frequency. If 'they' ain't there then they can't hear you and you aren't gonna hear them, right? That means that you are going to be keeping some weird hours! If both of you aren't awake... see where that's going?
And then you get to 'battle' with 'Momma Nature' and 'her' propagation. There's so much variation in that, that it's almost impossible to predict. Oh well, it wouldn't be fun if it was easy, right?
If you're really 'taken' with all that 'DX' stuff, then why not try other bands? Meaning that you'll have to get one'a them licenses, take tests, have rules to go by. Yeah, nasty thought, huh? Oh well, gotta live with it to satisfy some 'bad habits', right?
Have fun, that's the whole point...
- 'Doc

I don't have a problem hearing stations. I can hear all kinds of skip going on with my antenna, I hear stations the world over. I think my biggest problem on ssb is that my Galaxy 959 is off frequency, so it makes it hard for them to understand me. I need to address this if I want to do any serious ssb work. I haven't tried DXing on AM a whole lot, so I dunno if i can or not.

And I think i'm going to go with an amp like the KL203 for now, i've got this Wilson so I might as well see what my system can do with a little power in the mix.

As for trying other bands, I'd like to. I want to become a ham and I plan to take the test at some point this year. I am just sandbagging because everytime I pick up my ARRL manual I get intimidated by all of the stuff i've gotta learn to get on the air lol.
That's why when I put together a base station, I want a broad banded antenna that I can use for ham bands as well as 11 meters.

bonding

KØBG.COM

Most everyone will agree, the above site is one of the best for information concerning a set-up. Bond everything !! If you follow the steps on the k0bg site, you will see a difference in the "white noise" as well as a better SWR.

Like a lot have folks have stated, antenna antenna antenna.

Everyone has an opinion of which antenna they prefer or have experience with. There are many options. Just like Ford and Chevy, you have a choice. I am currently running a Ranger 2970N2 with a Wilson 5000. I have made contacts from New Zealand to England and most of the US states. I am going to get a Sirio though in the near future.

I think I'm gonna have to just focus on getting the base station up and running. Get a beam antenna up. Finally getting some nice weather and my pickup is heating up fast. even in the mid 70s its almost too hot to sit out in my truck. Gotta get something setup indoors or I won't be using the radio much over summer.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

FWIW: you will see almost no difference in DX between the Wilson and a 102/108 whip...the most you will see is about an additional S-unit of white noise with the 102/108.

I ran both, swapped them back and forth all the time on the last truck, that was my findings...neither one worked better than the other.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.