• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Which 11 meter dipole antenna???

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how much I'm losing by not having my dipole mounted outdoors, but instead in the attic of my garage underneath shingles and a wood roof?

FWIW, when the DX is rolling, I have no trouble hearing either coast or making contacts. When the band is quiet though, it's dead quiet in this install.

595 NE Iowa

Just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea how much I'm losing by not having my dipole mounted outdoors, but instead in the attic of my garage underneath shingles and a wood roof?

FWIW, when the DX is rolling, I have no trouble hearing either coast or making contacts. When the band is quiet though, it's dead quiet in this install.

595 NE Iowa
Impossible to tell. Ideally you're not losing "much", but the only way to tell is to have another similar dipole outdoors in the clear and do A/B testing.

Reactions: Hurricane95
The dipole I'm using is one that I made. I have it mounted in a pine tree(Colorado) that makes it around 50-60 feet high. It's great.

If you have to buy a dipole the Radiowavz ones are constructed with the highest quality in my experience. Building one is so simple though really no need to buy one. Save up for a antenna analyzer to make it even easier.

What Balun are you using?

mechanic
That's a great question and I can't remember. I should know since I'm posting and boasting. I bought it at HRO here in Denver . It was the smallest (size) one they are selling. My reasoning on this was the weight. Also I am using the basic coax RG58 for weight concerns as well. The height + perfect resonance + reasonable power output 300 watts makes a great antenna for an otherwise anti-radio building owner.

That's a great question and I can't remember. I should know since I'm posting and boasting. I bought it at HRO here in Denver . It was the smallest (size) one they are selling. My reasoning on this was the weight. Also I am using the basic coax RG58 for weight concerns as well. The height + perfect resonance + reasonable power output 300 watts makes a great antenna for an otherwise anti-radio building owner.

Most likely the Hi-O Balun, 4:1 ratio
Quite a few manufactures out there for these....

mechanic

Most likely the Hi-O Balun, 4:1 ratio
Quite a few manufactures out there for these....

mechanic
Mechanic , are considering a dipole ? There Ok performance wise, like in my situation, if that's the only option. In my experience with them height is key. As with any antenna I suppose . I used a bow/arrow to get the thing where I wanted it.

Don't be fooled. A well placed 1/2 wave dipole will make contacts just as well as any other antenna when the conditions are in good. They are great for a backyard with a couple tall trees or even a simple mast setup and make it an inverted V. Both of mine are set horizontal and both are at approx 35-40ft high. One faced N/S, the other E/W. When I don't want qrm from other close by stations within about 3 miles or more or when the noise levels are bad on my vertical, the dipoles really work well as with changing over to horz it cuts most of if not all the noise out and also any other locals that might be close by as well. And they are truly easy to build and assemble!! I use an app called antenna calc on my iPhone and just type in the desired resonant freq and it gives me a chart to go by. Not a perfect match, but darn sure close enough to get you on air. Here is a photo of the app showing 4 different antennas and the lengths they need to be for freq 27.205 or ch20 of the CB band. Great app that will help with starting measurements for dipoles anyway. Haven't tried any of the other antennas. Also keep in mind a vertical type dipole can be built as well and work just fine if done properly. There are plans for one here on the site. Don't recall the name of it. But it's a simple end fed 1/2 wave dipole used vertically.
I will also say get yourself a good 1:1 balun. Dr. Dipole makes a pretty good one. The Unadilla. Small and built well. At any rate, good luck with whatever you decide on.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 31
  • image.png
    image.png
    110 KB · Views: 31
  • image.png
    image.png
    82.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.png
    image.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: wavrider
A good horizontal or Inverted V wire dipole works very well for DX. No groping for ground planes required, they're balanced, efficient radiators. Have been using a homebrewed wire Inverted V, 1/2wl AGL for about three years now and have had plenty of success making contacts on other continents when the 10 and 11 meter bands are open.

They're easy to calculate, 468/Frequency-in- MHz gives you total length or 234/Frequency-in-MHz gives you the length of one side. For a buck$ worth of wire you'll have an antenna that works as well if not better than models that people pay hundred$ for. Don't believe the CB myths about dipoles being weak or not having any gain, it's just not true. Amateurs have been using them, and still are, to talk around the world for the best part of a century.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?